Log In Sign Up

Troy's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By plastikmom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South carolina
Posts: 878
I had been on bed rest for high blood pressure since about 38 weeks. I was a little frustrated with my body and hopeful my body would go into labor on its own. I delivered my first DS at 37 weeks; my water broke and I had a baby. I just expected this delivery to go the same. So much for expectations. At each doctor's appointment my cervix was firm, long and completely closed. I had horrible heartburn and knew baby was still super high in my rib cage. And my blood pressure readings were still borderline high, even on bed rest. My labs were all negative for pre-e but the fact that my BP was still elevated made me very anxious, which I'm sure did not help my BP, vicious cycle. At my 39 week appointment with a BP of 150/94, my OB suggested induction. She said the risk of staying pregnant at that point with that BP was greater then the benefit of staying pregnant another week. I agreed and we set it up for the following week. I was particular to choose the date with the best surgical OB on call. I think my gut feeling was C-section even at that point. I waited all weekend and prayed for my water to break, for my body to "remember" what it was supposed to do. But no such luck. On April 16th I went to the hospital at 7:00pm for cervidil insertion. Then I spent the evening getting pressure from the nurses and my husband to take and Ambien and get some sleep. I had heard crazy stories of things people do while on Ambien so I refused. DH was frustrated with me and really wanted me to rest. I really did not want to take any drugs that would mess with my head. It was frustrating, especially since I could not sleep. I spent the night listening to DH snore in the recliner. By about 4:00am I was feeling really crampy and uncomfortable. But from what I could tell, there were no contractions visible on the monitor. After about an hour, I was so uncomfortable, I called for the nurse. I do not handle pain well and I had warned both the nurse and DH the night before that my pervious labor was terribly painful and I did not want to experience that ever again. I am a big wimp when it comes to pain. Since I was not officially in labor, I could not have an epi. By 5:30 am I begged the nurse to take the cervidil out, which she did. I just couldn't take it any more. And the contractions or cramps I was feeling were not even registering on the monitor. Talk about discouraging. At 7:30am my OB came to check on me. She checked me and it was so painful, I was falling apart. I was about 50% effaced, still closed. She said it would be ok to start an epi before the Pitocin since I obviously had no pain tolerance. Then she went to the O.R. for a surgery. DH went to the cafeteria for breakfast and I was alone waiting for anesthesia. This is when I had my first "real" contraction. And I heard the most sickening sound, baby's heart rate rapidly decelerated. I knew immediately something was wrong. Two nurses rushed in and had me change position and put oxygen in my nose and started IV fluids. The heart rate picked back up until the next contraction when the same thing happened, baby's heart rate dropped and stayed low for over two minutes....felt like forever. I was panicked. The fifth time it happened the nurses started asking me questions about previous surgeries and if I had jewelry on....and I KNEW. Omg, baby is not ok. I started to cry and they told me they had called in a second OB since mine was in surgery. No one mentioned C-section but within minutes the anesthesiologist came in and luckily I knew him well and he is a wonderful caring person. I cried even more when I saw him and he held my hand and told me that he wasn't going to let anything happen to me or baby. But he felt like we needed to get baby out because he wasn't tolerating the contractions. The OB in the O.R had seen my strip of the decels and wanted them to bring me to the O.R. She was almost done with surgery and didn't want to wait. DH was still eating his pancakes and I could have killed him! When he walked back into the room, I wanted to hug him and smack him at the same time. I think I started to cry and told him to never leave me again!!! Poor thing had thought everything was ok and was just as scared as me to see them prepping me for surgery! Baby had another long decel and they took me off the monitor to wheel me to the O.R. I went thinking what if his heart rate doesn't come back up??? The spinal went perfectly and it didn't hurt a bit. The room was full of people DH and I knew (we both worked there and DH still does sometimes) and I knew they would take care of us. But I was so scared!!! The OB came in and got started. It was so weird to know exactly what she was doing and not feel it. I just looked into DH"s eyes and tried to focus on him to keep me calm. When baby came out, he cried right away, and so did I. DH put on gloves and cut the cord. Troy Joseph was born at 9:17am on 4/17. He was 6 lbs and 8 ounces and he is perfect. They took him to the nursery and DH went along while they finished with me. Sweet relief, my baby was ok. Now the relief tears were flowing. As soon as the spinal wore off, I was up and about and felt great. The incision was a little sore, but really I must deal with recovery pain much better then labor pain. I hated having to wait to see baby, but as soon as they brought him to me, he latched well and was able to nurse. I begged to go home the next day, but my BP was still up and I was REALLY swollen so I had to stay another day and start BP meds. My OB expects me to need them for about 4-6 weeks. I go back for a two week follow up and we'll see how it is. Also, I never got a chance to ask my OB why she thought baby didn't tolerate the contractions. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong, but at this point I am just happy that baby and I are ok. And Troy is a sweetheart so far. He barely ever cries and has been super easy, especially compared to my first. DS #1 is loving being a big brother. Life is good.
MommysPocket likes this.

Last edited by plastikmom; April 28th, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
April 28th, 2013, 01:33 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,596
Congrats!! Scary to have to face a c-section, but everyone came out okay so it's all good!!
Mommy to Jasmine (18), Kirsten (14), Ana (13), Katie (3), Xavier (1), and Gunnar (born 10-15-14)

New picture in progress......
Reply With Quote
April 28th, 2013, 02:29 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,272
So glad everything ended up well. Congrats to all!!

Reply With Quote
April 29th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,249
What a scary night for you! I am so glad that all turned out well! I am sure you are totally in love!!! It is so amazing! I feel the same way about Maya...she's been the easiest of 4. It's amazing!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0