Log In Sign Up

RaeLynn's Birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2013, 01:20 PM
JennBer's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 869
Sorry it's taken me so long to get to this but it has been a pretty rough time. I am so thankful my mom was here to help me or I don't know how I would have managed. So here goes. Sorry its so long.

My labor actually started on Sunday April 21 in the evening. It was slow and irregular so I didn't bother going to the hospital. I had my regular weekly appt on Tuesday the 23rd and at my appt my BP was high again(it was the highest it had ever been). I told my doc about my contractions I had been having for 2 days(also I had been throwing up a lot), we talked about me going in for an induction. He said I didn't have to but that he was leaving on Sat and would be out of town for 4 days, add that to everything else(and the fact that he wanted me to at the very least go in for pre-e testing, which I found silly considering how close I was to going into full blown labor) we decided together that my best option was to do a membrane sweep and then send me to the hospital that night to start some cervidal(sp?) followed by pitocin in the morning if needed. By the time I got to the hospital that evening when he wanted me there I was in active enough labor that they didn't do the cervidal wanting to wait and see what my body would do. Which I was grateful for since I had hoped for a natural drug-free labor. At 1:12 am on the 24th my water broke naturally and my contractions got crazy painful in my back. I finally agreed to do some IV pain killers(I absolutely hated the idea of an epi and did not want one at all) so they gave me a dose of staydal (sp?) to help me rest which it did in a way but may have been one of the worst decisions of my life since it made me extremely loopy. I'm surprised I wasn't seeing flying purple elephants with the way it made me feel and my mom says I keep waking up asking her crazy questions about was it real or not if such and such happened and she said some of the things I was asking were just about the craziest things she has ever heard in her life. I somehow ended up with a second dose, my mom says I asked for it, but I don't remember, so I stayed kinda drugged out for quite a while. Those finally started wearing off some and I was able to at least know what was going on around me. When my doc checked me about 1 that day I was at about 6-7 which is where I had been that morning as well. So since I had not progressed any and I was so very exhasuted my mom talked me into the epi(well almost ordered me really but that is just my mom) her reasoning was that I needed something and she didn't (and didn't think I did either) want me to have another dose of the staydal, saying that I needed to be able to mentally function when it came time to push and did I really think I would be able to if they gave me that one again. But by the time the lady got there to do the epi I was in so much pain I was shaking and couldn't stop so the gave me the tiniest little bit of the staydal thinking it would stop the shaking but not effect me the way the full dose had, yeah right I was right back to being loopy and out of it with the added effect of being numb from the epi. At 8 my doc way back to check me, he said I still had just the tiniest bit of a ring left but that I could try and push past it if I wanted but that he wasn't going to make me any promises that I would be able to but since we were getting so close to 24 hrs since my water broke and I had done such slow progress all day we needed to either try or go to c-section. I said I would try. I had no problem pushing her past the ring at all. The problem came when we figured out that she was facing posterior and trying to come out face first. But even with both of those I got really close to getting her out a few times, but after 2 hours of pushing. (During all this the epi failed, something about batteries or something and they got that fixed then the machine ran out of meds) My BP went through the roof and her heart rate started dropping every time I tried to push. According my mom several people had suggested that I should go to a section and I wasn't hearing them( I was still pretty loopy from the drugs) so she got in my face and told me enough was enough I was hurting her baby and risking my baby I was doing the section, and seeing my mom like she was at that moment got through to me enough that I understood what was happening and agreed to do the section(although I think they were about to do it anyways with the way things were going). My mom went with me into surgery(DH said he couldn't handle it). They managed to get my contacts out as they were rolling me out of the room towards the OR but no one thought to grab my glasses so I was basically blind. This is were the worst of the whole thing happened. I was still pretty loopy and don't remember much about my time in the OR just bits and pieces, them wanting me to move from my bed to the table, the table moving, and (barely) doc holding my baby up for me to see. But there was something that will be forever burned my my brain and memory and that scared me more than anything else in this world, and that was that I heard not one sound from my baby and when doc held her up she was very still and very quiet. I was stuck there laying on a table asking over and over again why I couldn't hear her cry, why wasn't she crying? Because they needed to get my taken care of and everything else they knocked me out completely at that time. I was told later that it was 5-7 min before they were able to get her to wake up and cry. I woke up an hour and a half later in recovery, I could see anything since I still had no glasses on, and I didn't know where I was or what had happened with my baby. The lady with me assured me she was fine but in my mind all I could think was like she would tell me any different at that moment. I managed to get her to understand that I couldn't see anything and that I needed my glasses so she called someone to get them for me, which made me feel a little bit better because at least I was able to see what was going on around me. When I finally got to get out of there and be wheeled to my room I finally got to see my baby. I mom was holding her waiting for us in the room I was going to and she handed her to me the second they rolled me in, because of the state I was in she had to keep a hold of her as well since I couldn't seem to make all my mind clear up or my body parts to work quite the way I wanted them too.

So that was my birth story, it was nothing like what I wanted but we both made it through. We have had a really rough time since, she sleeps so much it is scary, I know most new moms would be excited to have a baby that sleeps but she would never wake up, we would have to make her wake up to eat and then we couldn't get her to eat much it took longer to wake up than she would spend eating. I believe that if we hadn't of been so on the ball about waking her up she would have just kept sleeping until she got really sick or died since she never woke up on her own or wanted to eat. She has finally in the last couple of days started waking on her own for some of her feedings so we are getting improvement even if it is slow. We were discharged from the hospital that Friday and on Monday afternoon we were in the ER because I couldn't get her to wake up and she was scaring me so bad, they found her blood sugar levels were 53 and by the time the got around to doing any of the tests(including her blood sugar levels) we had finally managed to get her to wake up enough to eat something so it makes me wonder what her levels were before we were able to get her to eat.

RaeLynn Paige was born on April 24th at 11:56 p.m. weighing 7 lbs 6 oz and 20 1/2 inches long.

Reply With Quote
May 6th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 820
Oh hon, I know what its like to have a newborn that sleeps all the time and it is VERY scary. Lily did it because she was in heart failure. Like you, we ended up at the ER (a couple times, actually) because I could not get her to wake up.

Its its own brand of scary.

Reply With Quote
May 6th, 2013, 04:39 PM
JennBer's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 869
We actually went to a docs office before we went to the er, it wasnt with the doc she will normally see since he was out of town that day and his office was closed so no one there knew me. It was so annoying that at both the office and the er everyone kept asking me which number baby this was for me and when I would tell them it was my first they treated me like I was some crazy women with her first and that I was just being overly worried because it was my first and that I just didnt know what I was doing. I was all this may be my first to have but its NOT my first to raise or care for.

Reply With Quote
May 6th, 2013, 07:01 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,501
Wow! What a scary experience! I'm glad everything turned out ok in the end!
Reply With Quote
May 10th, 2013, 12:43 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,596
How frightening! My 4th was born not breathing, and they had to resuscitate her, but I have absolutely no memory of that. My husband didn't even tell me for quite a while.

I'm glad she seems to be doing better now!! Congratulations on your sweet girl!
Mommy to Jasmine (18), Kirsten (14), Ana (13), Katie (3), Xavier (1), and Gunnar (born 10-15-14)

New picture in progress......
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0