Log In Sign Up

Roman Jude's Natural VBAC Birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Memi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Memi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,513
My due date came and passed on May 10th with still no signs of baby. On May 13th I was beginning to make plans on how to handle my upcoming 41 week OB appointment and trying to make a decision on how far past my due date I was comfortable going. I was ultimately planning for my own induction which is not what I wanted. Little did I know that baby had his own plans that day.

Around noon on Monday, May 13th I took 1 tbsp of castor oil as a last ditch effort to get things moving along. At 6:30 p.m. I began to have Braxton Hicks contractions. Just the normal painless tightening that I had become so familiar with. I told DH that I was going to take a shower before dinner "just in case". In the shower the Braxton Hicks seemed to subside which confirmed what I had already thought--this was another night of false labor. By 7:30 p.m. I started to get some discomfort with my "Braxton Hicks" contractions that had started back. By 8:00 p.m. I was calling having to lay in bed and breath through each contraction. I did not want alert anyone too early but I felt as though things were moving fairly quick and this was it, so I called my parents to come get Gabriel and called my Douala to put her on alert. My Douala told me to call her in half an hour to see how things were progressing. About 5 minutes after I got off the phone with her I knew we were headed to the hospital soon. As my parents hurried over to pick up Gabriel I was in a rush trying to dry my hair and finish packing my hospital bag. It took a while because contractions were getting strong and I was having them pretty close together. DH started getting really nervous about leaving quickly, I could tell, but they were coming so quickly it seemed to take me forever to get the smallest task done.

9:00 p.m. we were finally in the car on the way to the hospital. DH called my midwife to let her know we were coming in. He instructed her we were about an hour away and my contractions were coming every 2 minutes. My midwife was even more nervous about this than us and instructed us to go to the nearest hospital if needed. On the way they started getting really really intense and were coming quick. I started praying out loud for no traffic. I was gripping the "holy crap" handle in our car and trying my best to work through each contraction. I started counting down how many contractions I had left to get through based off how far away we were. Finally DH rolled up to the ER and there I sat waiting what seemed like forever for a wheelchair. There was no possible way I could have walked to a room at this point.

Once they got me to triage she quickly checked me and immediately admitted me. I was 6cm dilated and 90% effaced and writhing in pain!! Once I got admitted and to the labor & delivery room I thought that my water had broken and made them check me again. Turns out I had begun to loose my mucus plug (A.K.A. "flubber" ) and it seemed to just keep coming. At this point my contractions were coming every minute and lasting for God knows how long. It felt as though my stomach was ripping open as each contraction peaked. I had no time between to rest or regroup and everything was happening so fast. I will readily admit that at this point I began gripping DH's hand and telling him in a very serious tone I wanted the epidural. At just that moment my Douala graced us with her presence and promptly got me out of the bed and into the shower. There I labored for about 30 minutes. Nothing I did helped to each my contractions, for me it was just a matter of gripping the shower bar and suffering/fighting through them. I was begging for them to get the birthing pool prepared for me and they finally told me there was no time. When I heard I couldn't even have the relief of the water I got angry and started partially grunting through my contractions as they peaked. Everyone in the room started getting excited at hearing me grunt and told me my body was pushing whether I knew it or not. What THEY didn't know is it was not my body's instinct but my anger grunting, LOL. I was just trying anything I could think of to ease the pain.

Finally my midwife told me my only relief was to have this baby and she was going to help me get this baby out. She had me walk from the shower back to my bed to push and that walk took me quite some time as I had about 3 contractions along the short way and kept having to stop. Once I finally made it in the bed she checked me and said I was 8 1/2 cm dilated and baby was at a +2 station. She broke my water during the check. This is the part I remember being the most painful: my midwife told me I had a tiny anterior lip left to dilate and she was going to help push that over baby's head....during my contractions! I started yelling at her through those two or three contractions. It was making the pain even worse, which I did not think was possible! But once she had done that she gave me full permission to start pushing. I started pushing at 11:32 p.m. and baby was born by 11:46 p.m. My team was very encouraging as I pushed, saying I need to teach a class on effective pushing and I earned 5 stars. This was nice to hear since I've never pushed a baby out before I had been worried my whole pregnancy that this portion of labor would take me a while to learn effective pushing. I was just so ready for baby to get here I don't think I could think of anything else put pushing as hard as possible with everything I had. I was very surprised to find out that pushing did not hurt at all. It was the contractions that held the pain, but feeling baby come out was the empowering part!

Roman Jude weighed 8 lb. 7 oz. and was 20 inches long. He was born so calm he scared me a bit, just as he had been calm in my belly and seems to continue to be easy going. He had tons of jet black hair that was so long it is past the nape of his neck. He was beautiful!!

I am so incredibly thankful that I got my VBAC birth. I had always said my ultimate goal was to get a VBAC and the natural portion would just be a bonus -- looks like I got both. My entire labor from start to finish was about 4 hours long. I never in a million years expected for it to go so quickly. It was the most intense experience of my entire life and the complete opposite in every aspect to my first labor experience. So far the recovery of a vaginal birth just has no comparison to the recovery I experienced with my cesarean birth. I am sore and healing, there is no doubt on that. But the day after his birth I was doing things that took me over two weeks to be able to do after my cesarean birth. I am a much happier post-partum Mommy this time around, and for that I am very grateful. The entire experience may still be too fresh on my mind, but I honestly am not sure I would go for another all natural birth. While I am extremely proud of what I was able to accomplish, now that I know I am able to have a successful vaginal birth I do not feel the need to attempt labor without drugs again. Although, who knows, that too may change...
Expecting #3 in January 2016!

Last edited by Memi; May 20th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
May 20th, 2013, 12:04 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MI
Posts: 14,754
You are a rockstar!! I knew that you could do it! So impressed!
Amy: Wife to my Handsome Husband Mommy to my superhero, Max (3) and Luckiest Bonus Mama to Sammy (5)

Reply With Quote
May 20th, 2013, 12:09 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,638
Wow, Memi, great job! That hour long car ride to the hospital sounded intense! I would have been worried about not making it in time, too! Congrats!
Reply With Quote
May 20th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,056
That is an awesome story!! Great job, Memi!
Mom to 4 boys and 1 girl
Reply With Quote
May 21st, 2013, 08:12 AM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicagolandish, Illinois
Posts: 3,414
This brought me to tears Megan! <3 So happy for you that you got your natural birth!!
Reply With Quote
May 23rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Andrews Air Force Base, MD
Posts: 9,684
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
What a lovely story Megan! Congratulations!!! <3
Reply With Quote
May 23rd, 2013, 05:01 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,913
Great work! I'm jealous that pushing didn't hurt for you! For me it was the most painful part! Hah. Different for everyone though. Congrats!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
Reply With Quote
June 2nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,101
Wow what a great job you did! SO impressed!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0