Log In Sign Up

Sophia's Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Shufu_in_Shunan
  • 1 Post By TeeCee
  • 1 Post By NewlyMrs

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,521
We had a planned induction scheduled for Thursday, May 9th due to a shoulder dystocia issue we had when DS was born in 2007. My due date was 5/15 but my Doctor didn't want the baby to get any bigger than her currently estimated 7 pounds 11 ounces and we really wanted to try to avoid a c-section. We got to the hospital at 7:30am and it was really nice to be fully prepared this time with our bags packed and ready to have a baby. Our nurse Louise was super nice and it turned out she went to high school with my mom so we all just chatted while waiting. The worst parts of the whole l&d occurred pretty much at the beginning when they were trying to put in an IV, and then the epi later on. It took 4 sticks from 3 different nurses to get an IV set, they said my veins tend to roll and I've heard that before. Some people can get them just fine and other times it takes forever - this was one of the bad days. Around 11am they started the pitocin, they referred to it as "pitocin" but I noticed the bag said "oxytocin". Contractions began mildly and when my Doctor came to check about an hour later, she said I was at a 3 and 80%, which was only a 1cm change from what I'd been the last couple of weeks. She then broke my water with what looked like a crochet hook because she said my water breaking with DS triggered my contractions so that might get things moving along. It probably would have except we figured out about 2 hours later, when only a small amount of water had leaked, that the bag hadn't completely ruptured so she poked her finger in it and then we got the big gushes. Contractions kept picking up for a few minutes and then dying off, so the nurses kept turning the pitocin up and down because the contractions were so erratic. My Doctor said at that point I could order the epi whenever I wanted to, but contractions were still manageable since I was getting breaks in between with their erratic nature. My sister came by with some McD for DH, I was so bummed because I wanted her to bring me something too, but they said I could only have jello and ice chips at that point lol. Every time I moved contractions seemed to increase in frequency and intensity so I kept trying to move around. There were some maintenance guys banging something into a wall outside my room and the door was partially open so I didn't feel so great about going anywhere outside the room - and I had my sister shut the door! So I went to the bathroom, trudged around the room and then the nurse had me bounce around on a birthing ball that didn't do a whole lot for me. She turned up the pitocin a little bit again and I started walking around the room and finally things started picking up so I got back in bed and ordered the epidural.

The epidural was the worst part of the whole experience for me, which I did not expect as there had been no issues with it at all when I had DS. This time it took a team of anesthesiologists sticking me 8(!!!) times to get it in. I got all clammy and started sweating like crazy, got nauseous and felt like I was going to pass out during the first one. I could feel the catheter literally popping from vertebrae to vertebrae each time, it was torture! DH got me a wet towel and I cooled off and we tried a second time with the first anesthesiologist. I didn't get ill this time, but the attempt failed so she called another one who failed as well and then they finally called the Head Anesthesiologist. He was extremely nice, but he had a difficult time too. DH was about to flip out because I was clearly suffering through this and he said it looked like they were doing it by trial and error. I know it's not an easy thing to do and anesthesiologists get paid what they do because it's not an easy job, but all I kept thinking then was that I was going to end up paralyzed, I was truly scared at that moment. I just kept my head bowed down with my eyes closed and tried to go to a happy place. The crazy thing is that I think I might have been able to do the whole thing without it, the contractions were a 5 or so on the pain scale, totally doable, I only got the epi because I was afraid of the shoulder dystocia, which of course didn't even turn out to be an issue this time. The epi very well may have been more painful physically and emotionally than a natural birth might have been, though I can't say for sure. The anesthesiologist commented that they gave me a tattoo on my back, not a pretty sight! I felt bad, but I got a bit cranky after that and sent my sister out. I should have let her stay. My mom was in the waiting room too and I probably should have had her come in, but out of fear of that darn dystocia I didnít want anyone except DH there in case I freaked out.

Once the epi was finally in, it was smooth sailing from there on out. My legs felt like lead at first and I could just barely feel contractions. They moved me from my left side to my right and then the epi seemed to start wearing off so I had to use the manual dosage a couple of times. It wore off so much that the anesthesiologist came back and gave me a shot of something to take the edge off, my Doctor said to make it a half dosage because she wanted me to be able to feel some of what was going on in able to push effectively and I agreed. Again, only doing it for the fear of the dystocia so at this point it wasn't even necessary at all. The epi seemed to really trigger the contractions and I quickly went to a 8-9. I started shaking like I was cold and they said that I was in transition and not to fight the shakes or they just get worse so I didn't. I could feel contractions mildly and could feel the pressure building as she came down, in the front of my abdomen at first and then in my butt. Finally I felt like I was straining to hold her in and said she feels like she is just going to fall out now. My Dr checked and said she's right there, my Nurse told me to get ready to push by holding my legs up to my ears and putting my chin to my chest and pushing in my bottom. They broke down the bed, told me to push on the next contraction and we made huge progress on the first push. My Dr said she'll be out on the next push, but she wanted to do another small episiotomy where I'd had the last one, saying it wouldn't be as bad as it would be if it tore on its own. I consented, pushed on the next contraction and was shocked to see she was actually out. My Dr said do you want to pull your baby out so I reached over and pulled the rest of her out and onto my stomach. She was born at 5:40pm, just a little longer than the 5-6 hours of labor with DS. 4 minutes and 2 pushes, yaayyyy!! All that worry for nothing! She scored a 9,9 on the APGARs. Aside from the needle torture, it was a really enjoyable experience.

Sophia has been a dream, sheís very easy-going and hardly cries at all and we are stunned because she actually sleeps at night, which is not something we expected at all. I called the Nurseís station the second night at the hospital and asked them to check her because I thought something must be wrong with her to sleep so much and not cry. I texted my sister who said the whole Nurseís station is laughing at you right now and I think she was right because it took my Nurse an hour to come to the room lol. Sophia was totally fine of course, the Nurse said you need to wake her up to feed her lol. DS was so completely the opposite that I didnít know this was even a possibility lol. Iím so glad we decided to have one more so DS has a sibling, she so completes our family and we are so lucky to have her.

5/9/2013, 5:40pm, 7lbs 6oz, 19.75"
Reply With Quote
May 27th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Japan
Posts: 573
Oh, my gosh! I'm sorry you had to be poked with needles so many times! I would have been traumatized from that. I'm glad everything else turned out okay, though! Congrats!
Rhonda66 likes this.

Reply With Quote
May 29th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,198
The epi experience does not seem fun at all. Ugh some doctors..
But you have a beautiful daughter now. Totally worth it. Congrats!!
Rhonda66 likes this.
Reply With Quote
June 1st, 2013, 03:41 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,101
Wow! What a story. You made me very thankful my epi placement went so well! Congrats on your baby girl!!
Rhonda66 likes this.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0