Log In Sign Up

Finnegan Michael's Birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Joanne Nicole

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,037
Well, I kept waiting to write this post until after we got home, so that I could post pictures (my phone won't let me), but we're still at the hospital and I want to share the story of Finn's birth! I'll update with pictures when we finally do get home.

On Monday, I was 41 weeks pregnant. I had decided to get induced at 41+1 because I was in so much pain and discomfort. The baby's head had been pressing down on nerves for weeks, and no matter how I moved or stretched, I couldn't get him to switch positions. The last few days I could barely stand without excruciating pain shooting through my groin. So, Monday I went to my midwife for a pre-induction exam. During my exam, she did a "stretch and sweep"...soooo painful! I went home cramping and fairly miserable, and nervous about my induction the next morning. Throughout the evening, I had some contractions, but nothing regular. I tried to keep myself distracted by keeping busy - making sure the hospital bag was ready to go, last minute fussing in the baby's room, I even went out into the garden (in the pouring rain!) and picked strawberries...not an easy task, squatting down so low while hugely pregnant and contracting!

I went to bed at about 10, exhausted and feeling crappy. At 11:30 I had a monster contraction, out of nowhere. I had to grab DH and hold on hard to get through it. Less than 3 minutes later, I had another, even stronger. I decided to get up to use the bathroom and move around a bit, and had another contraction on the way down the stairs, 2 while sitting on the toilet and another going back upstairs. I woke DH up and told him we needed to go and go quickly. I paged the midwife at midnight. I was supposed to time my contractions for an hour before calling her, but there was no time for that! Finn had decided to come and that was that!

We got to the hospital at 12:30, in the pouring rain. DH took me to the labour assessment floor and my step mum parked the car. My midwife hadn't arrived yet, and I was clearly progressing quickly, so a nurse checked me in and did the exam. I was 6 cm dilated and contracting less than 2 minutes apart. Midwife got there 10 minutes later and checked me again, and I had already gotten to 8 cm in that time. By the time they wheeled me into the birthing suite, I was feeling the urge to push. That was at 1am. I was begging for an epidural at that point, because it was all happening so fast and hard that I felt like my body had no time to prepare or work up to that point. They told me it was too late for an epidural, but offered me nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to take the edge off...lol, yeah right. No such luck there. My water still hadn't broken, so my midwife suggested they do that for me so we could finish up and have that baby. Just as they were about to do it, I felt a huge amount of pressure, and then a pop and gush...my water broke all on its own! At that point I couldn't stop myself from pushing. That was at 1:30. Even though I was fully dilated, there was a small bit of cervix in the way that was keeping the baby's head from moving down. With each push, my midwife had to try to stretch my cervix so the head could fit through. That was probably the most painful part. By 2 am, the pain changed to a burning stretching feeling, and I knew it was almost over. 10 minutes later his head was through, and one more good push got the rest of him out at 2:13 am. They put him up on my chest (and of course he poo'd all over me). DH said that in the split second between the last push and him coming out, I went from looking haggard and "hulked" out, to instantly looking like the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen Unfortunately, Finn wasn't breathing and was kind of a greyish-purple colour, so the had to cut the cord right away and get him going. A minute later they brought him back to my chest, looking much better, and let me hold him while I delivered the placenta. That was a lot harder than I remember it being with DD. Turns out, it's because it was a lot bigger...because HE was a lot bigger than DD had been - nearly 2 lbs bigger! None of us had been expecting that. Miraculously, even with such a fast labour and a nearly 10lb baby, I had no tearing at all...yay!

Because of his size, the hospital required us to stay, to monitor his blood sugar levels for 24 hours. His blood sugar tested fine, but he was really mucus-y and having a little trouble getting enough oxygen in his blood, so the wanted us to stay for another 24 hours. Then he started to develop a little jaundice, so another 24 hours. As of this morning his jaundice was worse, so they started him on phototherapy, and told us they'll test again tomorrow morning. So we'll see!

Finnegan is the sleepiest, quietest baby I have ever seen. It takes me 15 minutes to wake him up enough to eat, every time. Even his crying (which doesn't happen much) is so much softer than all the other babies. DD was a difficult baby, so I'm keeping my fingers crosses that Finn will stay so sweet and quiet and sleepy

I'm doing well. My recovery is going great. I've had some achy muscles, and some cramping, but overall I'm pretty good. In fact, I'm kind of thrilled at how good I look. I haven't been able to weigh myself yet, but I can tell I'm a good 15 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight, and my tummy is almost back down to size already. I started producing tons of colostrum right away, and my milk came in full force less than 48 hours after his birth. I'm ridiculously engorged, and my nipples are sore, but I've gotten a lot of help from the lactation consultants here. I miss DD like crazy, even though I know she's being we'll cared for at home by my step mum. She's come by every afternoon to visit, and seems a little unsure about her new baby brother. I can't wait to go home so we can all be together.

Anyways, that's my birth story! I'll update with pictures and how Finn is doing once we finally get home!

Reply With Quote
June 13th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Paul MN
Posts: 773
What a great birth story! Congratulations!
Mommy to Isaac 8.1.07 Gabriel 7.2.09 and Samuel 6.15.13
Angel Babe 9-16-2012 5wks
Reply With Quote
June 13th, 2013, 01:44 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,068
Wow lucky it went so quick! Can't wait for pics!

Reply With Quote
June 13th, 2013, 04:26 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 37,585
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Awesome story Hun!!

Reply With Quote
June 15th, 2013, 04:37 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,191
I loved reading your birth story!

Reply With Quote
July 25th, 2013, 08:56 AM
MommaMandaPanda89's Avatar I'm having a Girl!
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas;; Cali is home <3
Posts: 320
sorry i'm so late..i fail, but your birth story is so sweet! Congrats! I'm really happy for you!


Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0