Log In Sign Up

The birth of Caelyn Phoebe

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Colliekat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,580
Caelyn Phoebe - born at 12:59am on 8/13/13.
Weight: 7lbs 14oz
Length: 19 inches

Caelyn’s birth story started when my husband and I decided that we were ready to try fora nother baby. We conceived the first time that we tried and found out when I was approximately 4 weeks pregnant. I surprised my husband by spelling out “your boys can swim” in Hershey kisses when he came home one evening J.

Our first appointment at 6 weeks of pregnancy went great when we seen a little yolk sac with a tiny beating heart. I got very sick through my first trimester requiring home health nurse care for hyperemesis. I was on IV fluids and a reglan pump inthe hospital and at home until approximately 13-14 weeks of pregnancy. At 7 weeks I had bleeding and was scared I was miscarrying. An ultrasound showed a tiny beating heart and all looked well. It turned out that this was likely the placenta attaching.

My first daughter was born via c-section as she was a breech baby. I desperately wanted to do a vbac with this little baby and I am so very grateful for having the support of my amazing OB and her nurse from day one. They are such great advocates.

The remainder of the pregnancy went by without any issues thankfully and as we drew closer to my due date of August 14th, I started to feel that my vbac was not going to happen, as I could not be induced. I seemed to be stuck at 1.5cm dilated and 75% effaced for the last 4 weeks of pregnancy. I was doing everything to try and go into labor from bouncing on my ball, doing squats,walking and eating pineapple and eggplant! Truly I don’t think that these things helped at all. On Thursday 8th August, I was feeling pain with contractions around my back and had an NST which revealed no advancement and a very happy baby, so home I went. On Saturday 10th August, I went to an acupuncture appointment where it was explained that I could not be made to go into labor, but that it may relax my body and increase the blood flow to my uterus via moxibustion to stimulate labor. I left the session feeling very relaxed and that night, I slept better than I had in a long time.

On August 11th,my parents flew to Texas from Northern Ireland where they live and we all were frustrated that we still didn’t have a baby. That night (Monday morning) I woke up about 1am feeling contractions again, but not strong and spaced approximately 9-10 mins apart. I went back to sleep, waking up about 3am and noticed a watery discharge that was pink tinged. I still wasn’t feeling regular contractions, so I dismissed it and went back to bed. At 7am, I was still having the slow drip of the pink tinged fluid and wondered if it was my water leaking. I was still doubtful, but on hubby’s advice, I called the on-call OB who told me to go into labor and delivery.

At this point I was starting to feel what I thought were contractions spaced about 9mins apart. By the time we made the 30 min drive to the hospital, they were about 6 mins apart but still I was doubtful. We walked (I waddled) to OB triage where it was determined that there was no change in dilation/effacement and baby was at a -2 station. She had been at a 0 station so this was disheartening to hear. They decided to do the amniotic fluid test and lo and behold it came back positive and it actually was my water leaking. At this point, I still didn’t think I was in labor and asked if we were staying to have a baby. The nurse informed us that we would be. Finally I started getting hopeful for my vbac. My OB was called and the nurse reported back that she was very excited to hear that I was at the hospital. A half of the low dose of Pitocin was started at approx.8.30am and at first I felt no difference really. I dilated slowly but when the Pitocin was turned up slightly, I started to have stronger contractions that had me vocalizing at 2pm. I was still only at 3cm but the pain was horrendous and the contractions were right on top of each other. They would start off at the topo f my belly and wrap themselves around my back and across my whole abdomen. I was just moaning noooo not another one.. I was in absolute agony and elected for the epidural. The anesthesiologist was called and came very quickly. I was shaking with pain and couldn’t hunch over for long. He was disinfecting my back and I was trying to work through the contractions, but couldn’t and told him that I had to sit up. I’ve never felt such pain like it before. I was very vocal and shot out to my husband that I am never getting pregnant again.Everyone laughed in the room. I wonder how often they hear that line! The epidural was placed quickly and quickly took effect numbing my legs and lower body, so that I couldn’t feel the contractions. I told the anesthesiologist that he was my hero of the day at that point. I could see the contractions on the monitor but couldn’t feel them. It was a fantastic epidural! I only started to feel the contractions again when the medicine was needing to be replaced,but I pretty much slept for the majority of the day on and off just napping and eating my ice chips and occasionally updating my parents via text and facebook once the epidural was placed.

At 8:30pm Iwas at 6.5cm dilated and 100% effaced, at 10pm, I was 9cm. I felt a little nauseated so I was given Zofran which helped. Finally at 12am (Tuesday morning), I was 10cm dilated and getting ready to push – hearing that 10cm was such a relief. My OB had 4 patients in labor that day. She was back and forward between the two hospitals all day. At 6pm when I knew it was the end of her day, I asked miserably who the on-call Dr was going to be for that night. She replied with “are you kidding, I’m hanging around for this baby – I have a vested interest in her”. I could have jumped up and hugged her when I heard that. It was so important to her and I both to have the vbac.

At 12am, my awesome nurse Ashley said that we could try a few practice pushes as I was starting to feel pressure. My legs were put up in the stirrups and with Ashley’s coaching, I pushed where she told me. At this point, my OB came back into the room from coming from delivering the one before the last baby (I was the last of the 4 ladies to deliver that day). The pediatric nurse came in and they brought in a sterile table with instruments. That’s when I started to feel “wow this is real”. My contractions were starting to slow down and were spaced further apart, so pushing was a little slow. One thing that struck me was that everything was very calm in the room. There was no hecticness or yelling or screaming or anything. Both the nurses and Dr Wiley were coaching me with the pushing in a very positive manner but were not forceful. It was determined that I would benefit from an episiotomy as I was just so small. I was given the option and told my OB to do what she thought was best, because I trust her judgement.

A random funny thing but as she was coming out, my ob said that she had dark hair and she was giving her a little curl J. At that point, I asked if I could feel her head and I touched her squishy head..so weird feeling but gave me more determination to push. Once her head was out, it didn’t take many more pushes for her to come. I was told that I was a great effective pusher J. Dr Wiley told me to look down and there she was at 12:59am on 8/13/13. It was a surreal feeling seeing the little baby who had been growing and kicking inside of me. She had the cord around her neck but it wasn’t tight and she was placed quickly on my chest and immediately started crying as they suctioned her. Having her little slimy body on me was amazing. I felt so connected with the labor and delivery of her compared to my c-section. There was no difference in bonding of either of my daughters but it was such a sense of achievement.

It took quite some time to have me sutured back up as I tore in my cervix, perineal areas just to mention a few. I was offered food and ate a bag of chips as I was starving and drank apple juice. Hubby had the turkey sandwich. We got to the post-partum room at 5am, exhausted but happy. We had a good hospital stay with very supportive staff. We elected to just stay one night rather than the two offered, as we wanted to get home to our own beds.

Caelyn passed all her hospital tests like the hearing screen and the spO2 test, so we got to go home.

Random post-partum things – my bladder was in shock. I couldn’t feel it at all, so had to go every few hours to pee. At first I didn’t know where my bladder was and was peeing myself before I even got on the toilet. It was a strange feeling. I didn’t want the vicodin they offered so I took tramadol and ibuprofen. I hurt pretty bad for the first few days down below I have to admit.

I was given a waffle inflatable seat and it has been a life saver for my bottom. My bowels also were in shock and it took 5 days before I could go #2. It was not fun at all! It is now 1 week since she has been born and I am so in love with her.Healing is better now, although I am still uncomfortable at times when walking.

My Dr asked me which I prefer overall, now that I have had a c-section and a vaginal and I would still say the vbac overall was better.
~Thanks to Kiliki for my beautiful signature~

Last edited by Colliekat; August 20th, 2013 at 11:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
August 21st, 2013, 12:45 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 707
Wow what a great birth! Good job! Thanks for sharing and congrats!
Reply With Quote
August 21st, 2013, 07:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,574
What a wonderful story! Congrats on your sweet girl!

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

Reply With Quote
August 21st, 2013, 09:47 AM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,464
Thank you for sharing your story!!!!
Children are a heritage from the Lord,
offspring a reward from him. Psalm 127:3

Reply With Quote
August 21st, 2013, 05:22 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boise ID
Posts: 447
Such a great story! So glad you had supportive hospital staff around you and that you were able to have the VBAC Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your baby girl!
Reply With Quote
August 26th, 2013, 10:38 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,905
Congrats on your VBAC! That is sooooo awesome! I wish every mama could have that opportunity. YOU DID IT!!! You have a beautiful baby AND got a beautiful birth. Congrats 100 times over!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!
Check out the Attachment Parenting Board for Effective Parenting Solutions.
PM me if have questions about autism, TTC gender swaying, natural childbirth, going "vaccine-free", or if you are looking for gentle discipline advice.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0