Log In Sign Up

My birth story of Quinn Kayden 8-17-13 with pictures

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2013, 02:39 PM
mommy2skyty's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 915
Birth story of Quinn Kayden

Friday, August 16th started out as a fun day going to the water park with a friend of mine and our kids. I was joking around with her that I had went to the same water park 2 days before I had my son so maybe it would work again! I was 39 weeks pregnant and ready to meet our new son when he was ready to come out. I was already 3-4 cm dilated, lost my mucous plug, and had been having infrequent contractions at night that went nowhere.So after I went to the water park and had lunch I was pretty tired so I went home and was going to relax and take a nap. My husband was home from work for a week because he had some time off and I told him I thought I would have our baby this week. So about 3pm I was looking up things on the computer and I had a BH but this time it was stronger than ones I was getting before so I thought well maybe I should start timing them. I am glad I did because they were the real thing and they started off about 20 minutes apart and then gradually got closer together. I timed them for an hour and a half before I let my husband know that this was the start of my labor and that we should start thinking about driving.
We live 45 minutes from the hospital so we wanted to be safe than sorry so we decided to leave early and drop off our kids at Grandma's house so at least we would be close to the hospital. We got to Grandma's around 5pm and I was hungry so we decided to go get a nice dinner before going to the hospital because we rarely get to go to dinner alone. My contractions were around 10 minutes apart and I wasn't in much pain so we also decided to go to Starbucks. After Starbucks I decide to call the hospital and they tell me they want my contractions 8 minutes apart so we decide to walk around at the mall. So after walking around the mall for an hour they were about 8 minutes apart and we drove to the hospital. Once I got to triage I was strapped to the hear monitor and not allowed to walk around so my contractions weren't as frequent and they actually weren't sure they would admit me. I was pretty surpised since my son came very fast but I assured them my contractions were come quicker if they let me walk around! I was also 5cm dilated so they got my room ready and admitted me. Oh yeah the lady doing my IV didn't do it right and would have to try on my other arm but I didn't see a point gettting one so I declined and I am really glad I did because I hate that thing! I made it really clear that I wanted to walk around as much as possible and that I would be giving birth all naturally and that I wanted a midwife. Unfortunately, the midwife was assisting another patient but that I would get taken care of by great nurses and a doctor I had met once at my practice was also there.
So walking from triage to my room I was thinking this would be the night I would meet my new son! I am not sure of the exact time it was but I am guessing around 9 or 10pm. So I got to my room and told my husband I just want to walk around and that is what we did! Let me say that walking around totally made my labor progress! My contractions started coming much faster and much more painful that I had to stop walking when they came on. I was practing my breathing technique and also closing my eyes and imaging I was at the beach. My husband was really supportive but when it came down to it I didn't want to be touched when I was in pain and thankfully he understood. The nurses were very supportive when they saw me walking because as they said "not many women choose to have a natural birth anymore" which made me happy because having my son naturally and my daughter with an epidural I choose to have our little guy without any medication because I wanted to have the experience the birth even though I knew it would be painful! So by this time my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart and I felt like I was doing great and I just knew I was progressing. Oh yeah I forgot to mention my water was still in tact and I didn't want it to be broken because I knew it would break on it's own like it did with my son very late into my labor. My nurse then asked me if I wanted to take a shower and I said sure. So my husband and I got into the shower and it did feel pretty good. By then my contractions were 2 minutes apart and I started getting this incredible urge to push and then I knew baby is coming soon! I told the nurse I needed to be checked so I got on the bed and I was 8 cm and then all of a sudden I had a huge contractions and I just felt a huge gush of water! The nurse checked me again and can you believe it with my water breaking I went from a 8-10 cm in less than 15 minutes!!! Everyone got ready really fast and said you are ready to have this baby and can start pushing! Well they didn't have to tell me to push my body was already pushing and I was having a hard time taking breaks from the back to back contractions I was having!
My husband knew I wanted a mirror so he quickly set it up at the end of the bed. I remember the midwife came in and introduced herself and told me I would be having a baby quickly and that I needed to push really big through each contraction. When I first looked into the mirror I didn't see my baby's head yet and felt a little discouraged but I hopped I wouldn't have to push long since the contractions were very painful. I must admit by this time instead of just breathing loudly I was also screaming. I told myself I have to do this and that I had done it before and that I had to push the pain! My first push was a good one and I saw my baby's head and how much dark hair he had! Then I pushed again and wow that ring of fire is no joke and OMG did it hurt! I screamed pretty loudly but everyone was supportive and said I was doing great and to keep pushing! I pushed about 3 more times and then my baby's head was out and then next his body came out! Wow what an amazing feeling to have him out and then they put him right on me! I was just soo in awe of this little guy and amazed at how much hair he had and physically I was feeling pretty good. Turns out I did tear for the 3rd time in the same place so I had to be stitched up which was a little painful but I had my baby boy on me so everything was good.
In my birth plan I wanted to have as much skin to skin as possible before they took him away to have all those other things done so I got my wish and they let me spend 1.5 skin to skin and he even took to breastfeeding pretty well. In all the excitment of pushing and giving birth I didn't even know what time I gave birth and I had to ask the nurse and turns out he was born at 1:10 am on Saturday, August 17th! He was smaller than my first 2 kids at 7 lbs, 7 ounces and he was 19.5 inches long. I wanted to walk to my room but they insisted I ride in a wheelchair since it was a long walk. On the ride to my room the hospital played a sweet lullabye song so I felt extra special. Once I got to my room it was obvious that my husband was really tired so I had him go back home and get some sleep and I tried to get some sleep too. The nurses were all really great and let me sleep as much as possible and then my husband came with my kids the next day! Seeing my kids made me really emotional because I missed them and then their reaction towards their new baby brother just melted me because they were very curious about him but accepted him into our family and we talked about what we would name him. We each had a top 3 list and we narrowed down the names and decided on Quinn and we already picked his middle name Kayden before the birth. Until then I just had been called him our little guy so to have a name felt really great! I did have to spend an extra night in the hospital so I just spent as much time holding Quinn, breastfeeding him, and just getting to know him. On Sunday we were discharged and we went to lunch at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants and I got a much craved for Margarita, he he! When we got home I didn't feel like having visitors so we just tried to relax and enjoy our first day home with our new baby and enjoy every moment because we just know how fast they grow up. Welcome to our family baby Quinn and we are excited to start a new adventure being your parents and you have an awesome big sister and brother to help you along the way!

125 by mommy2skyty, on Flickr

184 by mommy2skyty, on Flickr

217 by mommy2skyty, on Flickr
Kelly and John- Married: Sep 30th, 2006

Skyla Helen- Feb 2nd, 2008
Tyler Lyman- Sep 6th, 2009

Quinn Kayden- Aug 17th, 2013

Happy Easter from my kiddos!

Last edited by mommy2skyty; August 26th, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
August 26th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boise ID
Posts: 447
What a great birth story! So glad you got the natural birth you wanted. And your baby boy is very handsome! Congratulations
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0