Log In Sign Up

Mikah Ryan

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Irishgirl99
  • 1 Post By Husher

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2013, 02:40 PM
kjm's Avatar
kjm kjm is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,198
Ok, finally sitting down to write my birth story. It was 3 weeks ago now so hopefully I don’t forget any of the details.

In the beginning:

We had a long and bumpy road leading up to our baby being born. When I first found out I was pregnant I had a large sub chorionic hemorrhage and because of the amount of bleeding my OB told me that I was going to lose the baby and there was nothing she could do. I then looked for other answers and found a birth center with the most wonderful midwives. They prescribed me some vitamins, special tea, and bed rest. While monitoring the SCH it got worse before it got better, I also had a cyst on my ovary, and at one point I somehow got TWO SCHs. Somewhere a bit after 20 weeks I finally stopped bleeding and the SCHs were gone. Then I had placenta previa! But that eventually went away also.

What was almost the big day:

In July I started having a lot of pre-eclampsia symptoms but my blood pressure was still normal. They sent me to the hospital on July 15 to have my liver/gall bladder checked out because of pain in my upper right abdomen. When they hooked me up to the monitors baby’s heart rate was up over 210! They couldn’t get it to go down either with me laying on my side and all of the IV fluids they were giving me. They did an ultrasound and found that my fluid level was very low, only a 4. They decided to induce me, so they moved me to a delivery room and put in Cervadil at midnight. It was a very emotional time because I wasn’t prepared for it to be that soon (36 weeks), and it was completely the opposite of how I planned it to happen. Eventually I got over it and became excited to meet my little one. The Cervadil started to cause very strong contractions, like how they felt when I was on Pitocin with my first son. I couldn’t walk or talk through them and I was just sitting on the birthing ball and feeling so worn out and just wanting an epidural because I felt, again, like my whole natural plan was ruined. They checked me 12 hours after the Cervadil and strong contractions and I was only 2 cm!! They did another ultrasound and the fluid level had gone up a bit so they decided to send me home! I couldn’t believe what was happening, this was around 5pm so I had already been in labor for 17 hours thanks to them. Since my contractions were still going strong my midwife had me go to the birth center to see what would happen, so I started to get a little more excited about now being able to have the birth I wanted. We were there until late night when the contractions started slowing down so they sent me home. They were still expecting to see a baby before long, though my body was having none of it. I made it home about midnight of the next day, so I had been in labor for 24 hours! I was completely physically and mentally exhausted and so over everything. On top of that my body felt like it was paused in the middle of labor, and continued like this for the next few weeks, super sore and painful. Luckily my husband was off work now to help.

Leading up to the big day:

On August 3rd I started having bright red, unexplained bleeding, so I went to the hospital again. They couldn’t figure out where it was coming from so I had appointments every 2 days after that. I was still 2cm and 80% effaced and I had an appointment on August 7th where I asked them to do a membrane sweep. She said it wouldn’t help and that she doesn’t usually do them but I basically broke down crying and she said she would do it if it would make me feel better and I said YES! That was at 1pm on the 7th.

Birth Day;

On the night of my membrane sweep I started having strong contractions at about 8 pm. Since they were still 11 minutes apart I decided I should get to bed right away and get as much rest as I could, I knew this was it! At midnight I was woken up by them, they were still about 8 minute apart but they were much stronger. I got in a warm bath and they continued to get closer until they were about 5 minutes apart. At about 3 am I called the midwife and she told me I should try to eat some breakfast and call her back so my husband made me some eggs and toast and my contractions were still 5 minutes apart and very strong. We called her back and got my dad over to babysit my older son and headed in around 4am. I got in their labor tub when I got there and the contractions were still about 5 minutes apart. At about 8am they started spacing out a little more so I tried to get some rest. At about 10am they were still spaced out a bit (every 15 minutes) so they decided to send me home. They didn’t check how dilated I was before they sent me home and by the time I had gotten home they were 5 minutes apart again. They were all of a sudden 10 times worse too, nothing was helping, I was shaking and puking, I was in transition at home an hour away from the birth center! I was also in denial though from just being sent home so I didn’t want to go back in, also because the long car ride did not sound very good to me at all at that time. I called the midwife and she said to eat and take a nap so my husband was like no we need to come in and he dragged me out to the car and took us back. At this point I was begging to go to the hospital instead because I was in so much pain, tired of everything, and upset from being sent home, but he took us to the birth center anyway. We got back to the birth center around 2:30 pm and I was a good 7cm. I got in the tub again and everything seemed to go very quick from there. I pushed for about 45 minutes and my BIG BOY was born.

Mikah Ryan was born on August 8th 2013. 9lbs 8oz, 21 inches.

I am so happy to have gotten my beautiful natural water birth

Blog post from our birth photographer:

Blossom Birth Center: Phoenix Birth Photographer » Professional Birth Photographer-Phoenix, AZ-Modern Birth Story

Newborn pictures:


Last edited by kjm; August 30th, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
August 30th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Mommy of 3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 2,241
Great birth story. Congrats again!
kjm likes this.

Reply With Quote
August 30th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 10,745
Kelsey, I am still so thrilled you were able to get your natural birth! And Mikah is gorgeous!
kjm likes this.

Reply With Quote
August 30th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 707
I love your pictures! Congrats!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0