Log In Sign Up

Sadie Grace and her joyful entrance!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 34
I had my last four babies at barely 36 weeks and the last on weighed over 10 lbs. I had delivered 5 babies at my last ob/gyn practice and the last delivery was an extremely negative experience. It took me over a year to stop thinking about all the negative things associated with that pregnancy and delivery. I got pregnant in July last year but lost the baby @ 13 weeks:'( I went through the holidays so sad... But we found out in early January I had conceived a couple of days past Christmas. This was really special bc I remember telling my sweet hubby all I want for Christmas is a baby!
I was determined to make this a happy joyful pregnancy, no matter what! I changed ob/gyn practices and found a large family friendly one first. I ended up liking all the dr's except one and I only saw her once during the pregnancy. I prayed I wouldn't have her for delivery. I kept my diabetes under strict control through diet only the entire pregnancy. I only gained 15 pounds the whole 39 weeks! I was so proud of myself and the dr's were too.Somewhere during my sixth month of preggers I read a beautiful natural labor story on the JM boards and decided I wanted to have a natural birth this time. I am 41 so I thought this old be my last pregnancy and became all things obsessed with reading everything positive about natural labor I could get my hands on. We watched the Business of Being Born. I was even more determined than ever. But I honestly didn't think I could go without pain meds and pitocin like the last six deliveries. Pitocin works well and fast for me. All my deliveries were under 4hours except my first. So you can imagine why I expected to have this baby at the 36 week mark but 36 weeks came and went and nothing no contractions. I had them check me and I was 2 centimeters 30% effaced. 37 weeks came and nothing 2 1/2 centimeters 60% effaced. 38 weeks no contractions and I had mental breakdown,hiding my crying through my appt. I saw the practices midwife for this visit. She told me I had a urinary tract infection prescribed antibiotics I didn't take( all natural remedies cured me in five days). She told me I had a "tired uterus" because of all the babies and the longer length of this pregnancy my body wasn't "rested up" labor couldn't jump start. Her advice for me was to go home and take as many very warm baths as you can each day completely submerging my entire belly. Eat and drink twice as much as I was basically anything I wanted to or could to nourish my body excessively. Stay focused on relaxing activities and to stay positive,get over the uti bc I wouldn't want to labor with that going on. My husband was with me for the office visit so we left and went home determined to relax my "tired uterus". I spent the next 5 days following her advice to a tee. I stopped answering the phone,checking emails or doing anything that could turn negative. On the sixth night after that appt. I slept 6 hours in a row like a rock. I hadn't slept like that for two months. I woke up and told my husband I felt great and knew I was going to have the baby that night.
Around lunchtime I noticed I was having regular contractions 10 minutes apart. But they were very mild. I ran around cleaning up the whole house happily. The kids helped me,we listened to all our favorite songs and danced and enjoyed the afternoon. I decided around dinner time I needed to go to Targez for some last minute food supplies for the hospital and household. While I was at Targez I noticed my contractions were 5-6 minutes apart but not painful at all but lasting longer 30-45seconds. I called my husband and let him know to get the kids and last minute stuff completed. When I got home we got everything put away, talked to the kids and let them know we were going to have the baby that night and got everyone asleep before 10:30. I was still having contractions 5-6 minutes 30-45 seconds. My husband would keep close watch on me but not stay too close,letting me scrub that floor one last time and get all the breakfast stuff ready for the kids,etc...
At 11pm I was in labor denial at least that's what I call it and I told my husband I wasn't sure we were ready to go to the hospital what did he think? He said we are going now so he carted me off to the car and off we went. I didnt have any contractions on the way thinking about the horrible hospital always clams me up so I was feeling skeptical upon check-in to the hospital I realized I had left my purse at home and blamed my hubby for rushing me. He said "Honey your coming here to have a baby not going to the airport to catch a plane." The lady checking us in told him he must not know women and there purses and something about all this made me laugh hysterically. Off we went to triage, the nurse checked me, I was a stretchy 5 centimeters 80% effaced. They put in the iv but I tell the nurse I'm going to try to go natural. She seemed confident I could and went to get my labor nurse.

When she came back it was two nurses because she was training a new nurse on her first day at the hospital.I had the sweetest agel of a nurse,she was so sweet in her training of the other very scared nurse. I think the new nurse was fearful of a natural labor mom... They checked the baby on the monitors for a few contractions and she was looking great. They said I could walk only right out in front of the door of the end of a very short hallway. Next door to my room was another women laboring naturally and she was a screamer! My husband and me are cracking up laughing each time we hear her and I'm thinking I'm not gonna make it natural if that's what it sounds like. I started feeling a lot of pressure and wanted to walk back into our room. As my husband is following me into the room I scream 'she's coming' and feel a burst like a floodgate between my legs my husband jumps down to close my gown to keep the baby from falling out. But i realize it's just my water breaking and laugh like a hyena. One of our babies feel out unassisted while I was in labor so we knew it could happen this time so that's why that wanted me to stay close and watch me so much. Hubby went to tell the nurses my water broke and they came in,checked me and she said I was a stretchy 7 while contracting. Apparently mothers of many or ones not on pitocin don't dilate fully open bc my favorite dr came in to check me a little later and said I was 4 dilated stretchy to 9 while contracting baby -1 station. He said why haven't you had this baby yet! He left and they wanted me to stay in the bed bc I was so close. I didn't feel close though. I was having contractions every 4 minutes. They lasted 1 minute and then two minutes later I would have an "aftershock" which is a half strength contraction. I would laugh at something the nurses or my husband said in between each real contraction. I kept saying "Oh Jesus help me" at the peaks and caught my husband laughing at me a few times when I would lean into him during the peak surge. That made me laugh that he was laughing at me. I started shaking uncontrollably which made me laugh,the nurse said this was my bodies endorphins kicking in to help me with the pain and that we would have a baby in the next few contactions. I still didnt believe her bc on a pain scale at the top it was 6-8 . The nurse said I could push if I felt the urge but I didn't feel the urge until she said lets turn you on your side and see what happens. Sure enough the first contraction on my side the nurse told my husband to pull my leg open and back, her head immediately popped out!!!! Holy Cannoli that hurt like a ********. I was like screaming OMG get it out. The nurse got right in my face and said breath, she called the dr who ran in , threw on his gloves and caught the baby. She had 1 tight cord wrapped around her neck but she flew out splashing the nurse and my husband in amniotic fluid. I don't know how the dr stayed dry he probably knew right were to stand to stay outta the way. He was the most senior dr at the practice and I really liked his calmness. Delivering the placenta was more painful than the birth bc without the pitocin it takes longer and the dr kept his hand pressing and pushing strongly down on my belly to get it out. I was is shock during this time and very quiet. My husband had gone over to check on the baby getting cleaned up and it took all my focus and strength not to scream during the afterbirth. They did give me pitocin for six hours afterward to help my "tired uterus" clamp down. I nursed her for an hour skin to skin and then got up walked to the bathroom to pee on my very strong legs! No dead legs, no meds. I felt like I could run a marathon, happy, beaming, joyous, victorious. I had done it labored naturally it didn't really hurt until her head came out and that part lasted less than three minutes of the one hour and 48 minutes we had been at the hospital. So I tell you ladies if this nervous of pain Nellie like me can do it, you ladies who can and want to- You Can Do It! I wish all of you a happy labor. I begged them to go home within 24 hours. She's a sweet 3 day old and I have only taken two Motrin for the pain and almost all swelling and pain is gone! She's a strong nurser so I am tired from her constant nursing but I am already getting 15 mils per breast of milk on day three...I haven't ever had my milk come in so fast before
Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 195
Oh man, I'm so glad you got the birth you were after! You're a trooper that's for sure glad your nursing is going well too, probably helps without having medication in your system
Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2013, 07:22 AM
manda622's Avatar First Time Mommy-To-Be
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Beverly, MA
Posts: 284
I LOVE this birth story! So inspiring- I'm hoping to go natural too, but I'm a FTM and really don't know what to expect, so IDK if I'll be able to hold out! lol.

Congratulations mama! You rock.

BFP: 1/31/2013
First OB Visit: 02/19/2013
Dating Ultrasound: 02/20/2013 Got to see the baby move! HB 170!
Level 2 Ultrasound: 4/24/2013 It's a boy! HB 148!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0