Log In Sign Up

Bradley Anthony is here!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Popoki
  • 1 Post By ducksaresnazzy
  • 1 Post By ~Kris~
  • 1 Post By Books_kids
  • 1 Post By jadeunicorn
  • 1 Post By Quantum_Leap
  • 1 Post By chelseamb
  • 1 Post By shana1979

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 659
This is stupid amounts of long, and if you ladies get through this I commend you, but it'll help me memorialize a first time experience for me. Also sorry the pics are so big...I have no idea how to re-size them.

10/31. Just a normal, boring day. Nate was at work all day and I just did my normal routine. Woke up around 11 after not being able to sleep that night until about 3 am, got my breakfast and sat on the couch to watch TV. I noticed earlier in the week that it looked like he moved down, but I really couldn't be sure. I read all about the pelvic pressure, the waddling, the nesting instinct, the whole nine yards, but I experienced none of it.

That night when Nate got home from work, we decided on left over pizza for an easy night. We ended up watching some Halloween movies and talking about what we were going to do on Friday when he got home from work. We still hadn't washed any of the baby's clothes or packed the hospital bag, so we just said to ourselves that we WERE going to do it on Friday night so it would just be done and over with. I was originally due on the 11th, so we both figured that we would have time. HAH. WRONG!

7:58 rolls around and I'm laying on my left side on our couch which has reclining chairs, just totally sprawled out, not a care in the world. Nate was really looking forward to watching Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin and seeing as I have never seen it, I was ok with the choice of TV show. All of a sudden, it felt like a bubble was popped between my legs and water was just gushing out all over the place. I jumped because it surprised the heck out of me, and Nate gives me a quizzical look. "Oh **** babe, my water just broke! Get me a towel!!" He jumps up and hands me a little hand towel. I look at him like, are you kidding me?? He runs to our room to grab a bath towel and hurries back. I make myself a makeshift diaper and waddle my butt to the bathroom, take off my pajama pants which at that time were soaked in amniotic fluid and just oh so disgusting lol. I sit on the toilet for a bit, and ended up calling my mom to tell her the news. After the call, I hop in the shower to get myself cleaned up while Nate runs around like a chicken with his head cut off, totally clueless as to what he really needed to be doing. I got out of the shower a short while later, and he'd gotten out the diaper bag and decently packed it with the baby's things, thinking we were good to go. I then had to remind him that we needed an overnight bag with clothing and bathroom items. Nate gets out the car seat while I feed my fish Freddy Mercury (an extravagantly gay color of pink betta, hence the name ) and an hour later we're on our way to the hospital.

So the hospital is about a half hour drive away, so Nate, being the guy that he is completely covers my seat in the car with 2 trash bags and 3 towels! I just laugh (which makes more amniotic fluid come out) and sit down. We have a very joyous trip to the hospital. I call my dad and let him know that it was go time, and we sing along to our favorite music and make jokes (mostly to keep Nate calm). We get to the hospital and go up to the L&D ward and get ourselves checked in. They take my vitals and all that fun jazz, rule out the possibility that I'm faking it by having me cough so more fluid leaks all over the place (*rolls eyes*) then get me to a room. During all this time, Nate calls his buddy Jason to tell him that its finally started and he decides that he wants to come and hang out with us, and possibly see the birth. I was ok with him hanging out for a bit, seeing as I wasn't in any sort of pain at all, but being there for the birth, that was going to be a big h-e-l-l no. Anyway, Jason comes into the L&D ward, and little do I know, he has been drinking, so he's pretty drunk at the time. Wonderful. The nurse looks at me, almost like she was waiting for me to give her the go ahead to kick him out, but I keep him there for a bit to keep Nate company while all the nurses tend to me.

About half an hour after getting there, I have my IV in, blood is drawn and we're all sitting there waiting to see what happens next. They have checked me and I'm at 1, maybe 2 cm and I'm not feeling any contractions at all. The nurses decide to get the doctor on call in to see about the progress and see what he would like to do, whether start me on Pitocin or let me keep going without the drugs. After a bit the doctor comes in, and who is it but the a-hole of a doctor that I had requested to never see again because of his horrible bedside manner with me during my monthly check ups with him. He seemed genuinely happy to see me, asked how we were doing and and if we were ready to get things moving along. He ordered the Pitocin just so we could get things moving along. Apparently they don't like to do a bunch of waiting there, lol. So I'm hooked up to the Pitocin and the nurse tells me that whenever I'm ready for my epidural, to feel free to call a nurse, but that its best if I could wait as long as I possibly could.

By the time that I'm hooked up to the Pitocin it is about 11 at night so they tell us that we might as well try to get some sleep. At this time, Jason decides that having a baby isn't a "wham bam, thank you ma'am" kind of deal so Nate takes him back to his room in the barracks, which I was completely ok with. After Nate gets back, its a pretty uneventful night other than the fact that with the shift change, we get this nurse that seems like she would rather be anywhere else other than working in the L&D ward. She was very emotionally detached to her work and it showed. She was very snippy and she got frustrated when I didn't understand what she would tell me. Thankfully I didn't have to deal with her much in the very beginning. She would only really come in to up my dosage of Pitocin every hour or so then leave without saying a word. Whatever, she was ruining my good vibes, so the less I dealt with her the better in my book!

I ended up lasting without my epidural until about 8 or 9 on November 1st. The pain wasn't too terrible, but it was getting to the point in which I was just getting irritated with it. They ended up checking me before then, and I was about 4 cm. The anesthesiologist came in about a half hour later and this was the point in which I started getting a bit nervous. I've never liked needles to begin with, let alone having this needle go into my spine to numb me up. The anesthesiologist was so incredibly nice but then of course, I had to have the nurse in there with us. Right when he was ready to give the epidural I had a particularly painful contraction, and the nurse was like, "You do know you have to be sitting up for this right?" in her particularly snotty tone of voice. No ****, Sherlock! I told her I was having a painful contraction, and she just rolled her eyes and gave an exasperated sigh. Meanwhile, the anesthesiologist (his name was Dean...I just now remembered his name) told me to take my time and that it is ok, and whenever I'm ready to sit up. When I felt the contraction go away, I immediately sat up and got ready. I started shaking because I was so nervous but Dean explained about the local numbing stuff they put on your back before they do the needle part, which calmed me down a whole lot. The numbing stuff was FREEZING cold. A few seconds after that he said I was going to feel a pinch and not even a minute later he was done! I was so surprised because that was the one thing I was absolutely dreading and I didn't feel a thing!

After that we napped throughout the day and it was pretty uneventful until I noticed that I was still feeling the contractions on my left side, right above my pelvis about one inch wide and 5 inches across. I tell the snotty nurse who said to just wait it out and that it will probably sort itself out. So we wait...and wait...and wait some more and nothing changes. I still feel the pain in that one strip, so I tell her again, that its not going away. She calls in Dean who gives me some IV pain killers/numbing agent in hopes that those will do the trick. So once again its the waiting game. And the pain is still there and getting worse and worse with the amount of Pitocin in my system. Dean comes in a bit later to see how I'm doing and I once again tell him that I'm still feeling the horrible pain. He looks so sorry for me and once again gives me more of the pain killer/numbing agent through my IV. By this time the rest of my body is so flipping numb I'm sliding off the edge of my bed and I can't even lift myself up. Dean says that he'll check up on me a bit later to see if that dose of the pain killer/numbing stuff does the trick. During this time, the snotty nurse decides that I should turn on my side to see if the epidural will move to the spot where I'm not numb. So she tells me, "How about you turn onto your left side." So I try to turn myself, but I'm so stinking numb that I can't move anything and the numbing agent is affecting my left arm. "Why aren't you moving? You did hear me in saying you should move, right?" So I give her an exasperated look and tell her, "I'm so ******* numb I can't move anything!" So once again, she rolls her eyes and demands Nate to help her turn my body to the left. Nate does so willingly without the nurse's help, so I try to help out as much as I possibly can, which isn't very much but it makes me feel better thinking I was doing something.

So at this time, we play the "lets turn the numb momma on her left and right side" for a good 2-3 hours, in hopes that the epidural plus the IV meds would kick in. They never do, and at this time the contractions are coming very very quickly with increasing intensity, so much so that I can hardly breathe and am crying because of the awful pain I'm experiencing in that 1x5 inch strip on my left side. Dean comes in again to see how I'm doing and he finally says, "The catheter in your back might be aiming to the right side, so that the left side isn't getting any of the medication. I have to do another epidural real quick and when I'm done with her, I'm going to come back in and pull the catheter out just a bit in hopes that will solve the problem." He leaves and comes back about 20 minutes later, has Nate roll me on my right side while the snotty nurse looks at us like we're a bunch of idiots, pulls out the catheter a bit and tapes me back up. He tells me that if that doesn't work that there really isn't much else that he can do to help me out and that he hopes for my sake that that helped.

15 minutes go by and the pain is finally diminishing. The snotty nurse keeps asking in a bored voice if I feel the contractions each time one of them rolls around and finally being relieved of pain I just tell her that they're finally going away. She checks me to see how far along I am and she says that I am finally ready. She calls in all of the assistants, and this is when I start getting scared and nervous and excited all at the same time. 4 other women walk into the room with a tray full of odd looking medical instruments, and since I'm so numb they set up the stirrups and put my legs into them. They explain to me that when they tell me to, to take a deep breath and let it out, to take another deep breath, grab my thighs and push down. So here I am, shaking like a leaf with nerves and adrenaline, and the nurse tells me to breathe in and out and push in a matter of 2 seconds. I totally wasn't ready for it but pushed anyway and just about made myself pass out during the first push since I didn't even take a good breath lol! In between contractions, Nate kept the mood light for me by making jokes and just making me smile. He even got the nurses (minus the snotty nurse) laughing.

3 apparently massive contractions consisting of 9 pushes, all in all about 8-10 minutes and Bradley Anthony was born! He came into the world at 4:46 pm weighing in at 6lbs 11oz (a full pound off from the ultrasound we had a few weeks earlier. That estimate was 7lbs 10oz) and was 20.5 inches long. It was so wonderful to finally have him here with us! Nate immediately got teary eyed when he saw our son which made me all teary eyed.

Its taken me a bit longer to write this out because of the God awful sleep schedule that I'm on trying to take care of our little boy. We're thinking he is colicky, because ever since we've gotten home from the hospital, he has been crying and crying from about 1 am-6:30 am and really hasn't been consolable unless I have one of my fingers in his mouth, then he is semi-consolable. It just makes me so sad when he cries like that. He just doesn't look like he feels good. To make matters worse, he won't eat at all during that time either, which is making me worried since I was told that he needs to have 8-12 feedings during a 24 hour time period and these last few days he's only gotten maybe 6? Other than the not so great nights, he is an absolute joy to have around the house. We absolutely loves our little boy more than anything and can't imagine life without him

My Boys
Reply With Quote
November 10th, 2013, 07:12 PM
ducksaresnazzy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: new york
Posts: 2,479
i made it through the whole thing!

it sucks that your nurse was such a brat :/ but such a cute little boy! love the baby-on-daddy picture. those are my favorite.
Popoki likes this.
Reply With Quote
November 10th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32,940
Sorry to hear about the witchy nurse.

I'm sorry he is not happy at night. Try not to stress too much over the number of feedings, my kids rarely ate that many times! Most of the time it was 6-8 times a day.
Popoki likes this.
Reply With Quote
November 11th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,070
I love it!!! My husband would totally do the same thing to the car seat if my water broke at home, I LOL'd on that one. Congratulations!!!

Could your baby be hot? My dd cried a lot the first couple of weeks and it was because we had her overheated. Just a thought. It's my go-to solution first for a maybe colicky baby.
Popoki likes this.
Reply With Quote
November 11th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,127
Sorry you had to deal with a horrible nurse.

He is adorable though! Good luck with the fussiness. Our first had a certain time each night she'd be inconsolable as well and hubbie would walk her around the house. It eventually let up, so hopefully it will do so for your little one soon too!
Popoki likes this.

Reply With Quote
November 11th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 659
At first I thought he was hot, and I'd take him out of his swaddle blankets that I had him in, but it never really helped at all with him out of his blankets. The first couple of days that we were home with him, I would walk what feels like miles around our apartment and that'd help for a few minutes when he'd doze off, but then he'd wake up again and just cry.

Hopefully this week with my mom here, we can figure out what is going on and have him eat at night and sleep. Last night was a lot better than previous nights, so hopefully it'll just keep getting better from here!
Reply With Quote
November 11th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle area, Washington
Posts: 9,756
I really enjoyed reading your story! It's so important to get these details all written down so that you don't forget them months or years later. I'm sorry that your epidural didn't work well and that you couldn't get anyone to help you with it, but I'm glad that they finally got it straightened out in the end. Your son is just adorable. I hope that his colicky phase passes quickly for you. Congratulations!
Popoki likes this.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
Reply With Quote
November 12th, 2013, 10:59 AM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,391
Other then the crappy nurse it sounds like you had a beautiful labour: and a great anesthesiologist and btw he is beautiful!!! congrats mama (and Nate!)
Popoki likes this.

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

Reply With Quote
November 18th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,850
sorry you had to deal w/ a horrible nurse. that happened to me w/ my 2nd and i didn't know i had the right to report her. i hope you report yours.

onto a different note: your boys are precious.
Popoki likes this.
Shana, mom to DS1 (21), DS2 (18), DD (4) and DS3 (4)
Joining and in November 2013
Twinkies! Theeeeeeey're heeeeeere!

Introducing the Minis

Reply With Quote
November 20th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 659
Oh I made sure I reported that nurse. They gave us a survey on how the hospital did and all that stuff, and I made sure that I mentioned her in a very negative manner lol.
Reply With Quote
November 25th, 2013, 11:48 AM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,471
Sorry you lucked out with that nurse
What a wonderful read and I got through it all
Congratulations and what a beautiful boy!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0