Log In Sign Up

Ivy Jade - Little Tree of Life

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By jadeunicorn
  • 1 Post By Myopia
  • 1 Post By Quantum_Leap
  • 1 Post By mindyjean
  • 1 Post By Txmom4
  • 1 Post By daneeleigh
  • 1 Post By Popoki
  • 1 Post By hotpinkheels
  • 1 Post By FairyDustMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,127
The birth story below is a shortened version of the 5-page birth story I originally wrote up (I'd post the whole thing, but I'm sure most wouldn't want to read the whole thing!). Also, I still didn't get the details from my midwife/doula, but I pieced it together best I could. This is still long! Feel free to skip it to see the pictures at the end.

The weekend before Ivy's birth, I was having small contractions on and off. She was being a little trickster, as the contractions would fizzle out after an hour or two, never getting stronger, never getting closer together.

The morning of November 4, I woke at 6:30am for a usual morning of getting Alexa ready and off to Kindergarten. Right when I woke up, I could feel I was having contractions. The main thing I kept thinking was that, "Here she goes again, tricking mama." But part of me knew things were different. The contractions came closer together when I was walking Alexa to school, but they spaced out when I reclined on the couch or sat on my exercise ball.

Originally, I was going to have hubbie come home from work for a half day, but the contractions just didn't seem like they were getting closer together, so I told him to be on stand by, just in case. I went about my day as usual. I took a nap mid-morning, and when I woke up, I was still contracting. I counted three contractions lying in bed, 7 minutes apart.

I ate lunch, tried bouncing on my ball, wondering what I should do, wondering if this was the real thing. I didn't want to get hubbie out of work and Alexa out of school to head to labor and delivery for false labor, especially since it was such a long drive. So, I held off. When I walked to get Alexa from school, the contractions picked up again while walking.

Hubbie called once out of work and I gave him an update--he suggested maybe we should go up to near the hospital and walk around the mall to see if the contractions would get stronger, then maybe stop in at labor and delivery just in case, even if it would be a fruitless trip and make for a late night. I told him I'd think about it.

While waiting for him to get home, the nurse from the doctor's office called to tell me that I had an induction scheduled for 7am on Thursday, November 7. I also told her I had been having contractions 7-10 minutes apart pretty much all day, just the length depended on what I was doing or how I was sitting. I asked her opinion, and she suggested I go to labor and delivery if they are 7 minutes apart, since I have a long commute.

At this point, I figured hubbie's idea might be a pretty good one. So, he came home, and we started packing all of the bags for the hospital. We headed out.

While on our way up there, the contractions started coming about 5 minutes apart, and they were definitely feeling stronger. More and more I was starting to think this was the real deal. We got to the mall and sat down to have something to eat at around 7pm. My appetite had flown away somewhere with the now 3 minutes apart contractions, and I only ate half my dinner.

There was no way we were going to walk the mall at this point! I told hubbie, it was time to head to labor and delivery, and I really thought Ivy finally decided it was time to arrive. And actually, I'm now kind of glad that I was so unsure all day. Instead of jumping the gun, I was able to go through early labor entirely at home, which is honestly what I had wanted all along, even though I kept being told due to going for a VBAC I should get to the hospital right away.

So, we got all checked in and I got strapped up to monitors in triage around 8pm. I HATED being in that bed unable to move when I got contractions--I wanted the cordless telemetry of the birth room. At this stage, standing helped me handle them much better. I was checked. 4cm dilated and 80% effaced. Definite progress, as I was 2cm dilated and 60% effaced at my last doctor appointment the Friday before. They were definitely keeping me. Ivy was on her way!

Anastasia, the midwife who was at my first's birth, arrived (so happy she was able to act as doula for Ivy's birth!). Hubbie also called his mom, who had a 3 hour drive.

It took them forever to get me into a birthing room, which frustrated me to no end. The contractions were getting really hard to handle, especially sitting up in the hospital bed.

They finally got me into a birthing room where I then had to endure them trying to get an IV in me (I am a hard stick, with rolling veins to boot), so lots more uncomfortable contractions sitting down when all I wanted was hot water from a shower or bath! IV hooked up, they gave me the first dose of antibiotics since I was GBS positive. They actually never had time to give me the second dose!

All hooked up to the cordless telemetry I then hopped into the nice hot shower. It was good at first, and Anastasia was right there helping and encouraging. Hubbie would pop in now and then, but he was taking care of Alexa until his mom got there. Even once his mom arrived he was only in and out because he wasn't sure what to do for me, and he knew Anastasia knew how to handle it better. I was OK that he didn't stay by my side constantly like he had with Alexa--just him coming in now and then and being by my side made me feel loved. I especially liked it when he would answer all the questions the nurse had--she had a tendency to ask me when I was having a contraction. Miserable! Too many questions.

Anyway, soon I just couldn't stand in the shower anymore, as my legs were too shaky, so I filled up the tub and tried different positions in there, but the contractions really started hammering me, and I could feel them in my back too. The dreaded back labor and fear of having another sunny side up baby! No position was comfortable.

The nurse tested my sugars. I was 128, and they decided to give me an insulin drip due to it. At that point I was like, "Whatever, you have me hooked up to the stupid IV anyway," though I didn't think 128 was all that high.

Still in the tub, I told Anastasia I didn't think I could handle the contractions much longer and I was considering some narcotics (I still was VERY determined not to have an epidural), just to take the edge off. She said I was doing great. True, I wasn't screaming, I was breathing through them, not making any painful sounds. I know she was trying to steer me clear of the option. It worked for a little longer. Ivy would kick during some contractions making them hurt even more--my crazy kicker to the end.

I then decided the tub was too uncomfortable and I wanted to lie down for a while. My legs were incredibly shaky. Anastasia felt Ivy's position--she had her back to my right side, so she suggested I lie on my left. The nurse also gave me some Zofran for nausea. I amazingly hadn't thrown up yet, and I still wonder how I didn't, since that's all I did my entire first labor when in active labor.

The contractions were still wicked, and I was closer and closer to begging for the narcotics. I just couldn't get myself to relax in between contractions, especially when the longer the gap, the more vicious they were, and then like with my first labor some contractions came one right after another with no break. The pain was worse than my first labor, at least it seemed like it then, and that may be due to the faster labor. But I knew if I couldn't even relax between contractions, if I was shaking so uncontrollably, I wasn't helping myself. I have the problem where I just can't shut my brain off, that my mind is always turning over things, thinking too much. This is great as a writer, but not so great when you're in Laborland and need to just let things go.

Finally, around midnight (time hubbie told me after the fact), I asked again for the narcotics, and they said they'd have to check me. They didn't want narcotics in my system too close to the birth so it wouldn't effect Ivy. OK, fine. Well, they checked me and said I was 6-7cm (hubbie later said I was 90% effaced and 0 station). I then said that I really wanted the narcotics to take the edge off if I had another 3-4 cm to go. The back labor was killing me. I didn't want to be completely numb like with an epidural, but I needed to relax a little bit. I know I had wanted a completely natural birth, but I felt this was the right decision at the time, and it is a decision i do not regret in the least!

Anastasia had me switch to my right side--I just couldn't find the energy to ride the waves of contractions and move around or stand up. I do remember at one point thinking of the tree of life growing, the picture of Yggdrasil I had wanted to use as a focus sitting on my iPad that I never used. A perfect association with my little green girl.

It took them a while to finally give me the narcotics, but when they did it just shaved the edge off of things enough, and in between a contraction I actually felt completely relaxed. The contractions were still vicious as ever, though. The back pain was slightly diminished, but now that I think about it, it may have been because Ivy turned into the proper position. And then I had another contraction after feeling that relaxed state, and I felt liquid trickle down my leg and said, "I think my water just broke." (I was right.) And then the contraction after that I involuntarily pushed. Anastasia noticed before the nurse did.

I had gone from that 6-7 cm to completely dilated in a matter of minutes. I knew all I had needed was to be able to relax!

They got hubbie, Alexa, and MIL in the room. Alexa wanted to see her little sister's head come out, and she definitely got her wish (and later told me it wasn't scary at all).

I was still involuntarily pushing with every contraction. The pushes came so forcefully that I wouldn't have been able to NOT push if I was told to. My body wanted the baby out! The doctor checked me in between contractions and sure enough I was 10 cm (hubbie told me Ivy was -1 station after the fact). The nurse held my left leg up to help open my pelvis a bit more. I couldn't move to get in another position. Anastasia told me lying on my side was still a good position to be in.

The pushing was so much stronger, more forceful, more out of my hands as nature did its thing to get the baby out of me. This baby was decidedly not sunny side up! The little wiggler had turned into the right position. Once I pushed her head out, she started howling even before I pushed the rest of her body out.

Supposedly I pushed for less than an hour before she was out and put on my chest. They had stuff on hand just in case the narcotics had an effect on her since she came so fast after I was given them, but she was perfectly fine. I snuggled her skin-to-skin. I asked what time she was born and they told me 1:46am. I hadn't even realized Monday had turned into Tuesday, but the first thing I thought of when they mentioned the time that it was only 7 minutes shy of the time I was born, 1:53am.

I handed her to hubbie, and he snuggled her skin-to-skin while they stitched me up, since I did tear in two places.

After visiting the bathroom, I crawled back in bed and took Ivy back from hubbie, snuggled her close, and encouraged her to latch, and she did.

After some nice skin-to-skin and nursing time, they finally weighed and measured Ivy. 7 pounds and 10 ounces, 19 1/2 inches long, and head was 13 1/2 inches around. Apgars were 9/9.

I was in a state of euphoria. The labor was hard, but I had done it. Ivy helped me redeem myself, helped me prove that I could have a baby vaginally. She healed part of the huge scar I had left from Alexa's birth. I was wide awake and couldn't sleep for nearly 12 hours after the birth. I can't thank my second daughter enough for giving me the second chance I so badly needed to prove to myself that I could give birth normally.

Later, I even realized that the dream I had during pregnancy came true for the most part. I had a labor that stopped and started, she was born vaginally and put on my chest, she was perfectly healthy (even her sugars over the next 12 hours after birth were fine, which made me happy I kept my sugars in check well), and she came out with a head of dark brown hair!

My little green girl, Ivy Jade, my little Tree of Life.

Me and Ivy

Both My Girls!

Reply With Quote
November 12th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 615
I loved reading your birth story. You could have poste 5 pages and I would have read it. Thank you for sharing it.
jadeunicorn likes this.
Reply With Quote
November 12th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle area, Washington
Posts: 9,756
What a beautiful girl, and a beautiful story! I am glad this turned out to be such a redemptive experience for you. You're really just glowing in that second photo from the bottom. Congratulation! Thanks for sharing your story with us.
jadeunicorn likes this.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
Reply With Quote
November 13th, 2013, 11:30 AM
mindyjean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,195
Thanks for writing your story! Glad you got a vaginal birth and that everything turned out great!!
jadeunicorn likes this.
Mindy (35)
DH (37)

DS #1 born in 2006, DS #2 born in 2010, DS #3 born in 2013.
Expecting April 2016!

Reply With Quote
November 13th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Txmom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,935
I'm so happy you got the birth you so desperately needed. She's a doll!
jadeunicorn likes this.

Reply With Quote
November 14th, 2013, 12:04 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,647
Congratulations on your baby and VBAC. Way to go mama!
jadeunicorn likes this.
Reply With Quote
November 14th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 659
Ivy is absolutely adorable! I loved your story and would of probably read all 5 pages if you posted them lol!
jadeunicorn likes this.
Reply With Quote
November 14th, 2013, 07:36 PM
hotpinkheels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,994
So happy for you. I couldn't believe how quick it all went (on this side of things!)
jadeunicorn likes this.
Baby Heels 11.6.13
Reply With Quote
November 14th, 2013, 08:32 PM
FairyDustMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,471
Wow what a great read!
I am so happy you delivered naturally and lasted through that pain so well!
Adore the name and she is adorable!!!
Mine baby girl has similar measurements to yours! 7 pounds 9 ounces and 52 cm
You look so happy with your baby girl on that pic and couldn't even tell you just were in labor!!!
Thank you for sharing

P.S. it did not feel like a Long read
jadeunicorn likes this.
Reply With Quote
December 16th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 32,940
How did I miss this earlier?

So glad you were able to get your VBAC!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0