Log In Sign Up

Douglas' Birth (A Novel)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2013, 07:10 PM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 1,946
(I wrote this in detail for myself, sorry it's so long)

I had been in prodormal labor for a couple of weeks, with a couple of days of false alarms. I had also had slightly elevated blood pressure for the last few weeks of pregnancy with a couple of trips to L&D for monitoring. Still 40 weeks came and went with me being 2-3 cm, 100% effaced, and Douglas siting at station 0. What was holding this kid in?!

I was so uncomfortable that final week I asked my mom to come down early. She arrived Halloween night and I started contracting again. Her and DH passed out candy to trick-or-treaters while I bounced on my ball trying to get them going. As much as I wanted an October baby it was not to be.
Nov. 1st I was exactly 41 weeks with several appointments lined up for the morning, my reg. MW appt, then a NST, then a ultra sound to check fluid levels. DH went to work but would join us for the ultrasound portion and take the afternoon off. My mom and I had an apple cider doughnut for breakfast, I packed us a lunch and shortly before we left at 10am I started contracting again. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but we joked about not actually making it back home. I would have had a better breakfast if I had known that was all I was going to get the eat for the next 24 hours.
The contractions picked up a little in the car, but nothing major. At my MW appt. I was a full 3cm, 100% effaced, baby engaged, and my cervix was moving forward. I also felt like my water was bulging but the MW didn't say anything about that. We scheduled an induction for Monday, but the hospital already had 2 scheduled for that morning, so we might have gotten bumped. I didn't think I'd make it through the weekend anyways.
My contractions were still sticking around and I joked again that maybe at the NST they'd just tell me I was in labor. Douglas was a champ on the monitors and I got to drink some apple juice. Since both appts. had run late there was no time to eat the lunch I had packed before the ultrasound. My mom got to get a cigarette in while we waited for DH and then we headed straight to the appt.
The ultrasound was almost an hour long, and my contractions were picking up and becoming very uncomfortable. Turns out my fluid levels were very low, I think they said 1. So they sent us to a private waiting area while they contacted the dr to see what they wanted to do. I sat down and immediately shoot back up with a strong contraction. I couldn't sit, I started leaning and rocking with DH. I was embarrassed to be moaning because there was another woman in the waiting room with us. We started timing my contractions and they were about 3 minutes apart lasting close to a minute. After about 4 or 5 of these I went to the bathroom and contracted some more on the toilet but they were getting to intense to be on my own. I got major bloody show while in there. It was tough to even get to the door to get out, once there I asked for someone to tell someone I was in labor! Turns out the other lady in the waiting room worked there and said she'd go get a wheelchair.
The tech came in with a wheelchair and someone called up to L&D. My contractions were intense and almost right on top of each other by now. They contemplated admitting me right into a room but sent me to triage instead. I was already 4cm! There was a moments debate whether to send me to the birth center (as I had originally wanted) or keep me at L&D. With the contractions already so intense and coming so often I knew I wanted to stay. With my BP way up and the amniotic fluid level so low there wasn't really a choice anyways. They admitted me and I walked to the room stopping twice to rock with DH through the contractions. Somewhere in there my doula was called.
Honestly, things were so intense at this point it all gets a little hazy for me. I think this all went down around 2pm. I remember laying on my side and having DH in the bed behind me so I could lean back on him and squeeze his hand and my mom was beside the bed so I could hold her hand too. Within 1/2 an hour I asked for the epidural, but they had to take blood first since my BP was so high. It took 3 hours for that **** blood work to come back and them to administer the epi!! I want to say it was around 6 o'clock they checked me and I was now at 7cm. Only then was I finally given the epi and man was it night and day relief!
My mom and DH finally got a break to eat the sandwiches I had packed for our lunch earlier. My doula also got to leave and grab some dinner. I could finally focus on the exciting event, baby was coming!!

The festivities were short lived. Around 7, the dr and MW came in to tell me that they didn't like my blood work and even on the epi my BP wasn't coming down. They wanted to put me on Magnesium Sulfate. They said it would just make me sleepy for about half an hour and then not feel 100%. They said baby might also come out sleepy but since I was already 7cm he shouldn't get too exposed to it. Yeah, when the nurse came in to hook it up to my IV I asked if it would make me nauseous, she said "oh hunny you are gonna feel like crap, I'm sorry."

She was right the magnesium was awful! The epi now too was over medicating my left side and under medicating my right. Around 10pm I was at 9 cm, and my water broke while she was checking me. More bad news, meconium in the water. I asked for a ballast since I knew I'd be pushing soon. I was right, around 11 I was fully dilated and with such a quick active labor we were all making guesses if he'd appear on the 1st or the 2nd. I started to feel the urge to push around 11:30 and started gently pushing.

At midnight the MW said to go for it and I asked my mom to leave. She really didn't want to, but I felt she should. DH and my doula fell into a rhythm with me; push, DH was there with ice chips, and my doula with the cold rag. They both took turns with the puke bucket. I felt awful, my mouth was so **** dry, reflux was burning my throat, and my hips were killing me. DH and my doula eventually had to start applying counter pressure to each hip after each push. At some point they decided I needed pitocin to bring my contractions closer together to push more effectively. I was making very slow progress pushing him out. They also took away my beloved ice chips so I would stop throwing up. That was awful! That same nurse that stopped the ice chips also kept telling me to purple push and to purse my lips. Man did I want to punch her in the face!
Finally, around 4 am I asked when they would bring in assistance like a vacuum. The MW left and **** got real! An OB, 2 peds, the MW, and a bunch of nurses all stormed the room. DH and my doula were pushed to one side of me, a nurse and the MW held my legs for them. I was told I needed to push with everything I had and they turned up the pit and gave me oxygen. DH would count to 10 for me and give me oxygen on the inhales. My doula manned the cold rag. I pushed and pushed, I was so exhausted and felt like I was breaking a rib and my hips. Oh, did I mention the epi had stopped working hours ago by this point.

The OB started saying things like a few more pushes and then we're going for a c-section. They were prepping the OR for me. I remembering thinking he'll be out in 5 minutes if they just take me, but then I got upset that I had gotten this far and he was so **** close! I pushed with everything I had and the room was getting excited. Soon I saw the vacuum pop off and the OB frantically replace it as DH was starting to hyperventilate with excitement. I knew he was crowning! She gave me an episiotomy at this point and I felt the sweet relief of his head exiting and his body was nothing to get out.

I saw him for a split second before they rushed him off to be suctioned due to the meconium in the water and the magnesium. DH went with him. He was finally born at 5:21 am after 5 1/2 hours of pushing and 45 mins of vacuum assistance. They were in the nursery for a few hours so I was thankful to have my doula with me while they stitched me up, then my mom with me once things settled down.

They decided to keep me on the magnesium for another 12 hours, so that sucked. Eventually, Douglas and DH returned to the room and I got my skin to skin. He latched perfectly right away! Shortly after that the in-laws came to relieve DH & my mom. They both went home to gather our bags, pack up the kitties to send home with the in-laws, and shower/ rest. DH didn't even get lunch he was running around so much trying to get back to us.

Meanwhile, I kept gushing blood every time I shifted positions. My poor MIL was in the room holding the baby when the dr needed to stick fingers in me to check my uterus. The magnesium wasn't letting my uturus harden and clotting to happen. They shut it off, ordered more pitocin, and threatened to take me to the OR once again if that didn't work. Thankfully, that did the trick and I felt a million times better being off the magnesium! We still weren't transferred to PP until midnight!
I developed a nasty headache the next day, as well as a bladder infection from the catheter still in place. Douglas also wanted nothing more than a boob all day. All in all my PP stay wasn't very pleasant.

We were released Monday only to learn a water main had burst directly in front of our house. Of course all the construction stuff was blocking our driveway, but my mom warned them we were coming home and they all wanted to see the baby. They moved to let DH in to drop us off and leave to get my prescriptions but when he returned a different cop was on and wouldn't move. He had to park on the street and both him & mom got street sweeping tickets the next morning.. ugh! Oh and we had no water, fun times.

Reply With Quote
November 14th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,753
Wow, what a story! Sounds exhausting and tough, but you did a great job. Glad you avoided the c after all that. Were you starving when it was all over? Too bad about the water main and the tickets too!
Reply With Quote
November 15th, 2013, 11:14 AM
jennyrae03's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,241
Oh man, what an event! Glad you pushed through it and didn't have to have a section!

Reply With Quote
November 27th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 3,079
Omg, five hours pushing?? You are awesome, great job

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0