Baking Soda gender test!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2012, 12:40 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
So I was looking around, trying to find more gender tests to try to see if the results will all be around the same and I found the baking soda test. It's easy! Just take a small amount of baking soda (make sure it's baking soda, not powder) in a cup and add a small amount of urine to it. If it fizzes, it's a boy result. If not, it's a girl result. Sounds easy to me. I'm going to try it and the red cabbage test If any of you try it, let us know what happens

So far from the polls I've found with ladies taking this test and then confirming with u/s later, the test has been 72% accurate, that's not bad!

Last edited by TKbunny; January 8th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
January 8th, 2012, 01:32 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I have pure baking soda in the house. I'm going to wait till I have to pee and try it. I'll let you know.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

January 8th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Nikke2527's Avatar Veteran
No fizz for me. GIRL!!!!! Sure hope its a girl cause this is the last one and I already have all boys now.
January 8th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Haha.. I'm waiting to pee here. I had just gone to the bathroom when I found it so now I wait I'll do it soon though. Just make sure it's enough pee to cover the baking soda

January 8th, 2012, 02:01 PM
*UPDATE*

Ok I did mine and it made little bubbles but didn't fizz right up like a shook soda so I'd say that's a girl result. We'll see Might try it tomorrow with FMU.

January 8th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Grrr the inlaws just showed and I have to pee. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR lol

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

January 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Just save your pee, you don't have to pee ON it, just dump it in after and it's fine.

I also asked around and they told me ANY fizzle at all, even just the fizz I saw with bubbles means boy, so IDK for mine lol. Maybe FMU is better to try for me. I'll try again later lol, I got lots of baking soda lol.

January 8th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
You girls are further along than I am. I heard you have to wait until 10 weeks to do this test, so it's in my queue for a couple of weeks.

So far, the Chinese gender predictor says boy, the ring test says boy, the needle test says boy, and I think boy. Lady Valkyrie's pendulum indicated girl, and DH thinks girl. So I'm anxious to do the baking soda test and red cabbage test.

January 8th, 2012, 02:21 PM
aarafko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to go try this! See if I get the same result as the cabbage test from earlier.

May 2013 February 2014 July 2014
New DD to ultrasounds
Make a pregnancy ticker

January 8th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Ok snuck it into the bathroom. lol It bubbled a tiny bit then foamed at the top. I was expecting a soda like fizzle but I didn't see that. So I'm not really sure but I'm guessing it's boy.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

January 8th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Ok so I just peed and it was a little frothy like beer Not sure if I put to much baking soda in the cup vs pee. Was there a certain about we are supposed to put in there? Does frothy mean boy? I think I'm going to do a repeat, next bathroom break.

New DD to ultrasounds
Make a pregnancy ticker

January 8th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I read 1 teaspoon baking soda, and then just a little bit of urine (not sure how much urine).

I know that when I make red velvet cake, it's equal parts baking soda and vinegar. And it fizzes like crazy.

So a teaspoon of each perhaps?

January 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM
That's what mine did too, April. It frothed up like a beer. I put enough to cover it up. Maybe I used to much? I'll try again with FMU and see.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

January 8th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I think I must have added to much pee. Probably 10x the amount of baking soda.

New DD to ultrasounds
Make a pregnancy ticker

January 8th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I used about a teaspoon of baking soda and then just enough pee to cover the soda. If it's foaming or fizzing it's boy. Nothing at all is girl. Mine kind of fizzled a bit like soda pop you see in a glass after the foam goes down, just the bubbles coming up the sides and all. But when I swished it, it got foamy lol. So they say that's a boy still. Because a lot of ladies swished and got nothing at all, no fizz, no bubbles, just flat like water. So that's a girl.

My NT scan is this Jan 10. I'll be 11w 4d so I'm not sure they'll be able to tell what it is yet. They say at a lot of NT scans now they can tell, or get a good idea of the gender. I'd love to know soon

January 8th, 2012, 04:41 PM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
tried this with expired baking soda...not sure if that'll make a difference or not but there was nothing when i poured the urine on it. So that makes me think girl. The chinese gender predictor says girl (it was right with Riley!), tried hubby's wedding ring on a thread. Didn't move when he held it over me but swayed in circles when i held it LOL so i don't know if it counts but that would indicate a girl too. I did an old wives tale quiz and it came back with 62% chance of a girl, 38% chance of a boy. *I* think girl, i KNEW boy with Riley..couldn't tell you how i knew but i just did. With all the stuborn issues i've had it really makes me think of a girl and the drama that tends to follow guess we'll find out in 10 wks or so.

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012
January 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Just redid the baking soda test measuring this time. No foam nothing even when I swished it. So this time girl. Hmmm....

New DD to ultrasounds
Make a pregnancy ticker

January 8th, 2012, 05:51 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
just did it, nothing at all even when I shook it up lol so it looks like a girl!
January 8th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmunoz8517 View Post
just did it, nothing at all even when I shook it up lol so it looks like a girl!
From what I've read elsewhere, it's not supposed to work until at least 10 weeks.

January 8th, 2012, 06:33 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh bummer I hate being due at the end of the month lol!
will try again in 3 + weeks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search