Log In Sign Up

Liam's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 797
Liam Alexander, 1/9/2012, 11:16am. 7lbs 4oz, 20".

I'm going to try and remember everything that happened as best I can. I really wish I'd been able to write it all down sooner, while it was fresher in my head!

Around 9pm on Sunday evening, I started to feel what I was pretty sure was contractions. I hadn't had any false ones, or any BH though, so I said to Adam "Don't freak out! I really don't think this is it, but just wanted to share that I'm having contractions". I could feel the tightenings, and some slight cramps. I tried laying down, walking around, but nothing changed them. That's when I started to wonder if it was the real thing. I was so sure I would never be early, though.

At about 11pm we went to bed, and they'd eased off a little. Around 12:30am I woke back up again and they'd picked up. I got up and walked around, not bothering to wake Adam up. That's when I had about 20 minutes of intense back pain and started to worry a little. During that time I called the nurse line and she said to go in anyway; even if it was false labour, the back pain should be checked out. So I woke Adam up and told him we should probably go to L&D. The whole time I was still debating if I really should. I didn't want to be a pain in the butt to everyone and think that the first thing I felt was the real thing!

I got to L&D and I was 4cm. They were pretty sure this was it, so they admitted me and got me hooked up to monitors. My contractions were kinda painful, but my husband was helping me through. The time line is going to be really off now as most of the next 13 hours were a blur.

Some time later, they came in and said that the baby's heart rate was dropping after each contraction and not recovering in an appropriate time. They also kept talking among themselves and saying something about "this one was early, this one late", etc. while looking at the monitor readout. I have no idea what that was all about!!

They hooked me up to oxygen, IV fluids and told me I had to lay on my left side. They kept monitoring, but again, weren't happy with what was happening. They had me change sides several times and each time, nothing improved. After a couple of hours (2 or 3 maybe?), I was checked again and still only 4cm. I could have cried! Then the doctor mentioned pitocin. I told her I really didn't want that but, if that's what it would take then ok. It's only after all this that I found out they never actually gave it to me. They told me I could have a little more time to see if I'd progress by myself or if anything would change.

At some point after that they broke my water as they were having a hard time monitoring the baby and wanted to be able to get a better idea of what was going on, also they wanted to speed things along. At this point, my contractions were getting unbearable to me, and once the monitor leads were in, it was even worse. Being stuck on one side and unable to move was just making them worse and I was keeping it NO secret. You'd have thought I was in the middle of giving birth the fuss I made, haha. I eventually gave in and said I needed an epidural. I just couldn't handle the pain along with the worry of what was going on.

Some time after that, she came back to check me. I'd quickly progressed to 8cm, 100% and I believe they said 0 station. The readout was still bad, though, and there was mention of a c-section. I immediately freaked out. I really didn't want that and the thought terrified me. The doctor had me do some test pushes, which she said I did well (despite feeling absolutely nothing at this point) and said they'd give me a little while longer to see if he dropped any more. She said if it was my 2nd or 3rd child then it woudl be different, as it could only have taken 20 mins of pushing to get him out, which may have been ok. But, that it being my first, it could take 2 hours and they couldn't risk that. Finally, they gave me no more choice and just told me they would have to do a c-section. This was 13 hours after my contractions had first started.

They gave me more stuff to numb me, a painkiller, wheeled me into the OR. I was shaking like crazy because I was terrified. I shook like that for another 2 hours after the surgery too until I managed to fall asleep and it went away. I shook so bad I couldn't open my jaw because all I could do was chatter my teeth or clench shut. I spent 3 hours in recovery, until I could feel my legs and bend my knees, and then I went to mother and baby. I just got released today. I believe it turns out that the cord was around his neck once and then around his forehead. Something like that.

Sorry if this is all jumbled, btw. As I said, the time line is fuzzy to me, and I may have missed some things out. It was a strange night.

While in the end it was 13 hours of labour, plus the surgery, it all feels like it went by in a flash and I wonder if I could have argued a case about not having a c-section at all. I've thought about going online to research, what my options were, the real risk. At the end of the day though, right now, I just don't care. I couldn't be more in love if I tried and I'm just happy to have him in my arms.

So, on to pictures..

A few hours after surgery.

At home today

Reply With Quote
January 12th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,229
I'm so sorry you ended up with a c-section. When things happen that fast and you aren't kept in the loop, it's so hard to feel confident about your decisions. But you're right; the important thing is that you have your baby! And he's lovely!

Reply With Quote
January 12th, 2012, 06:19 PM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,135
Congratulations! He is adorable. I'm sorry to hear things were a little scary during your delivery, but I'm glad to see everything turned out well and you have a beautiful baby boy

Reply With Quote
January 12th, 2012, 10:21 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 28,941
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
What a cutie! Congrats! When you are ready and want to explore your thoughts on your birth I have a great birth story for you to read. Let me know.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

Reply With Quote
January 13th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 797
Thank you

And Jen, I absolutely will let you know

Just to clarify, too - I'm not saying I'm never going to look into what happened and what could have happened. If I ever get pregnant again, I want to be much more informed of what I'm being put through. I just mean that for right now, in pain, with all these changes, and going on only 10 hours of sleep in the last 5 days, it really wouldn't be wise for me to be looking any of this up. Just wanted to clarify!
Reply With Quote
January 14th, 2012, 12:08 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations, he's so precious! i'm sorry you ended up with a c-section. but glad you and baby are healthy.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote
January 20th, 2012, 12:19 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 20,689
I am so sorry things didn't go the way you planned. That is a tough pill to swallow. He is beautiful though!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0