Log In Sign Up

Sayler's Grand Entrance

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Desiree McD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gulf Coast, Florida
Posts: 1,255
Monday, January 2nd DH and I got up around 5:30 a.m. to be at the hospital by 6:30 a.m. When we arrived, they took us up to L&D (you have to go through the ER first. Weird.) and immediately made me change. I really didn't have time to think. I laid in a bed and the nurse and her aid (a student, to whom I gave permission to be there) got me ready for the ER (IV's, shaving, general discussion and pep talk.)

When the anesthesiologist arrived at 8:00, I started to get super anxious. HIS part was the part I dreaded most of all. And for good reason. He called the doctor and next thing I knew I was being escorted into the OR and set up on the table. The student nurse was a lifesaver. She held and rubbed my shoulders and pressed her forehead against mine .. because I sat there for an exorbitant amount of time while the anesthesiologist struggled with the spinal. He stuck me over .. and over .. and over .. and over. I honestly lost count, and I could hear him mumbling behind me. He thought I would be easy because I was "skinny". They questioned whether I had any curvature in my spine (nope). They made me change to an Indian style position and he stuck me a few more times and had to move up my spine before he finally got it. It was excruciating to say the least, but I didn't shed a single tear and everyone seemed to marvel at my willpower. Puh. Baby girl was kicking the entire time, so I tried to concentrate on her. I have a nasty set of bruising on my back and my back itself hurts rather badly even now. I found out at my follow up with my OB that he told that anesthesiologist he was never touching another one of his patients again. That was nice. And a little amazing, because that guy has been there forever and has done practically EVERY spinal/epidural/etc that anyone has ever had at that hospital. He even did my first spinal (and that was a multi-stick, very painful situation too).

They brought DH in before the curtain went up, so unfortunately he has the memory of seeing me frog-legged and iodined up on the table, which I know disturbed him a little. My hand was free (yay) so he held it and this c-section went far better then the last. I hardly felt a thing this time, with the exception of the pressure on my chest in the end -- because it turns out baby girl flipped at the last minute and was no longer breech. At 8:53 she was born, and I heard doc say "Look at all that hair!" before I heard some of the most hilarious screeching from an infant I ever heard in my life. I didn't cry because I was too busy laughing. The student aide took pictures for us because DH didn't want to see blood and guts. He got to hold her for a few seconds and show her to me before they took her away from us.

It was at this point that things went opposite of how I would have liked.

I was in recovery until sometime after 10:00 that morning because my blood pressure spiked. While in recovery, we learned that Sayler was not being released from the nursery because she was "breathing rapidly", so I couldn't nurse.

I got to my room and only occupied it for about 10 minutes (long enough for a neonatologist to arrive and tell me that my daughter was being taken to the NICU for fluid in her lungs) . . . because my blood pressure got so high they immediately moved me to special room with special nurses who immediately put me on an hourly watch and some devil medicine that made me feel like hell.

If it wasn't for the kindness and caring of the nurses, I might have broken down and let everything get to me. When my spinal wore off, the pain was pretty intense. . . but it got a thousand times worse because they put me on pitocin. The pain medicine only helped a little and I never got a wink of sleep my entire stay in the hospital.

On Tuesday Sayler was moved back to the nursery. Her breathing is still on the fast side, but it is a common side effect of c-sections and they expect her to grow out of it. Good news. But my blood pressure was still insanely high -- bad news. They let her come stay in my room once I had been off the devil medicine for an hour, so around 3:00 or so I finally got my hands on her and got to take care of her (VERY difficult by yourself.. in a hospital.. in pain and barely able to get around).

Wednesday I demanded to go home. Seriously. They were going to keep me but I disagreed. My blood pressure had finally gone down and was maintaining a safe pace, so they negotiated with me and by 4:30 pm on Wednesday, we were rolling out of the hospital and going home. I still hadn't slept since Saturday night, but it would be easier to care for the baby in my own environment.

In summary, Sayler is doing great. She's an awesome baby. I'm still on the blood pressure medicine and I've been having more residual pain then I did with my first c-section but I'm getting through. DH has been a great help. I'm sleeping maybe about 4 hours a night so I've not been on the board much... just too exhausted. Hopefully I'll learn how to nap and I can be on more in future.

Thank you, .:Shortcake:.!!

Reply With Quote
January 14th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,229
Desiree, that's awful! I'm so sorry your experience was so miserable. I'm really glad that you and Sayler are doing ok. Rest up, mama!

Reply With Quote
January 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations! i'm glad things are going better for you, and hope you're feeling better now.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote
January 20th, 2012, 01:19 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 20,689
Sorry it was so rough!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0