Log In Sign Up

Miss Jenna's impatient arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2012, 09:53 AM
TNTGarner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,275
We had done very well controlling dilation and contractions until this week. I went to my normal appointment on Tuesday with the midwife and mentioned Jenna had not been moving much. They did the normal check and I had changed to a 3 from a 1 at the previous check. They sent me to l&d to do an NST for her movements. From there things got strange. I was contracting (had been since 20 weeks) but then all the sudden something clicked with my body things changed. The doctor checked again and I was 4cm dilated and they decided I was being shipped out to the nearest facility with a NICU. She gave me one shot of steroids after that check. You cannot be transported by ambulance without being stable and 5cm is considered active labor. They tried procardia and terb first to try to slow things but nothing was working. The ambulance was called and I was hooked up to magnesium sulfate and given a shot nubain to relax the uterus and from there im not honestly totally sure on everything.. So, now I am sitting in Alabama on mag (cathed and not allowed to leave the bed AT ALL.. soooo not fun). I thought my body would do the same thing is always does and change a bit and stop. Sure enough, we got the steroids in the next day and we were doing ok. They took me off mag and sent me up to the high risk floor since I had stabilized. I was on procardia again at this point. I even called Keesler to ask about coming back LMAO. They do continuous monitoring on the l&d floor but on the high risk floor it is just twice a day or if you feel a change. I was only on the floor for a little while before I started contracting back to back again and was a 4-5 I think when checked on that unit and sent back to l&d floor (I think we are at Thursday day here). So far I had managed pain levels and gotten a tad sleep. Mag makes you pretty blah in general. Thursday evening Trey was finally able to come and see me (I had been alone since he had the kids) and I broke down and told him something was off and I was in labor and was done. The nurse came in and I was crying at this point. I told her the contractions either had to be slowed or they needed to let me go. She said there was nothing they could do but she would get the doctor. The doctor came in and said the same thing but decided to have the nurse do a check to make sure something had not changed. So Thursday evenings late check I was still at that 4-5 but baby was low. The nurse said she did not think I had a "laboring" cervix yet. I was sooo upset and in pain at this point. 2 hours later the nurse came in and said that after watching my monitors, the doctor wants another check. That check I was a good 5 and the cervix had moved and she believed I was in labor. She left the room and came back in and said the doctor agreed that if I got to 6cm dilated that they would stop all meds and let me labor and use pitocin to fix what had already been done to my body to finish it. They had started drugging Thursday day when I got back to l&d with anything that would work to get steroids time to take and keep any more change from happening. They would not deem me in active labor if they could control things to 36 weeks. The one thing they would not put back on was mag due to the risks of the baby being born fresh on mag. They tried narcotics first.. then flexiril (spelling?), nausea meds lol, tocolytics... everything. They did not give nubain past some point because of the side effects of it on the baby. At this point I had not slept in 48 hours and was delusional. I guess I called Brittany somewhere in here but I dont remember it. I remember texting Michelle and telling her I could not do it anymore. Like I had a choice hahahaha. I agreed at this point to fight to keep her in if we could and so we drugged until the 530am check. The doctor came in and checked (had been contracting in a normal pattern all night through all meds given) and said I was a good 6cm and we were having the baby. There ya have it... at 530, they decided to take me off all meds. My body took a little bit to realize they were not stopping it but she was out at 10:56. No epidural and pain meds during that... but the labor is far from what I wanted. Thankfully, she seems fine from the meds that were given and pain meds were not in her system to make her groggy for some time. And it gave her the steroids... still makes you question things though. Hope it makes sense. Michelle and Brittany might be able to tell you more then I can honestly. DH was going to leave but ended up staying the night and was there for the birth, thankfully. Jenna Kay was 4 lbs 1.2oz and 17 inches long with apgar scores of 9 and 9! She was whisked away by the NICU team but due to her quick arrival I got to hold her for all of 5 seconds before the team made it down!

2/4/12 update: Jenna is now 7lbs! She spent 3 weeks in the NICU and one week in the PICU. During the stay at the PICU she was diagnosed with grade 2 PVL (brain damage) and an ASD of her heart and has ongoing issues with apnea. Her newborn screening also came back with high TSH levels indicating congenital hypothyroidism which is still being monitored before a diagnoses is made. She is 7 weeks old and thriving at this point. The road ahead is unknown and will probably come with many ups and downs but she is ours and we love her just the same <3

Last edited by TNTGarner; February 4th, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
February 4th, 2012, 12:41 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ID
Posts: 4,214
What an experience! I am continuing to pray for Jenna's health and continued improvement. She is beautiful.
Reply With Quote
February 6th, 2012, 07:59 AM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Audubon, PA
Posts: 1,930
thanks for sharing all this and I will keep praying for Jenna <3
January DDC Weekly Chat Wednesdays at 7pm hosted by me! Yay!
Reply With Quote
February 11th, 2012, 04:19 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations, hon! i'm glad to hear she's been thriving-- T&P for her!!
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0