Acid Reflux :(

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2012, 07:50 AM
aababydoll's Avatar Veteran
(I'm sorry this post is so long!) I've been up all night with acid reflux... I'm pretty sure I've had less than 5 hours of sleep. And I still can't sleep now! I need something (anything!) that will help...

I'm 31 weeks now and I've been putting up with heartburn every day since I was about 4 weeks pregnant. I haven't been taking anything for it. I usually just sip water or have a snack when it occurs and keep my head elevated at night with a water bottle next to me in bed.

A few times, after eating something too acidic (like italian food) or eating too much at dinner, my heartburn has turned into acid reflux in the middle of the night. I wake up coughing because stomach acid has backed into my throat (sorry TMI), which then brings it into the back of my mouth And let me tell you - it is gross. And of course, I can't lay down and go back to sleep after that's happened b/c then the stomach acid would just stay in the back of my mouth where I can taste it. I usually have to sit up for at least an hour sipping water, waiting for it to go back down.

Until now, I've avoided that just by not eating too large of a meal, or eating anything super acidic before going to bed. However, in the past 2 weeks, my body has changed a big deal. I feel huge all of a sudden, I can't walk without waddling, back ache from the weight, etc. etc. I'm sure you all know what I mean And I guess my uterus has started to squish my stomach even more, making heartburn / acid reflux worse.

So now I can't go to sleep at all without stomach acid trying to back up into my throat when I lay down. I've tried different things, but I'm not sure if it's b/c my stomach is producing too little or too much acid. Tums makes it worse, water doesn't help, apple cider vinegar made it worse, pineapple juice made it worse (my midwife recommended this). The only thing that made it go away early this morning was me giving up and getting up out of bed to walk around, sit up, eat some yogurt and a bowl of oatmeal. But even now, if I try to lay back down, it happens again. I am so tired and desperate I tried sleeping in a full sitting up position. As soon as I started drifting to sleep, i could feel it again.

Does anyone know of anything that will actually help?

What my midwife also recommended that I haven't tried yet are papaya enzyme pills with every meal, and fennel seeds / fennel tea. Anyone had luck with these?

Received October 8th!

April 12th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Dishersgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i heard apple cider vinegar helps tremendously here.
2 shots of celestone at 24 weeks
25 week slight spotting variable AFI levels
next major goal is 28 weeks (2 weeks 5 days to go)
Nikolai 1 1/2 years
Guinevere 3 years
Trinity 5 years
Aric 10 years
Kendall 14 years

Holly Benjamin

April 12th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am on two RX's because mine is so bad. I have always had acid reflux and during pregnancy it is even worse. At lot of people say not to drink milk, but I have always found that a little bit (not a HUGE glass) of warm milk with vanilla flavoring helps a ton. I also try to stay away from any sort of caffeine, cinnamon and mint. Those all have high amounts of acid in them. Also, eating crackers or something dry before bed helps me. Good luck!!! I know it is miserable, but only a little bit more!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my amazing siggie!

My Scrapbooking Blog
April 12th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Apple cider vinegar makes it worse lol. Tried it. And I don't think antacids are going to help since the Tums made it worse.

Eating something like crackers, bread, or something usually helps with the heartburn. But it doesn't keep the stomach acid from going into my throat when I lay down. I was afraid to try milk, but I guess it couldn't hurt.

I'm miserable

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this even when you're not prego. Poor mama.

Received October 8th!

April 12th, 2012, 08:50 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I get that too lately. I have acid in my throat which is so annoying and nasty! It makes me burp acid. Yuck!

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
April 12th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Sincat's Avatar Super Mommy
I feel your pain, I had acid reflux so bad a couple months ago I had to go to the ER. Knock on wood I haven't had much of a problem with it lately because nothing really helped me. I ate tums and drank milk religiously and still no relief. I don't remember what they gave me the night I went to the hospital but that didn't even help. Sorry...

April 12th, 2012, 11:57 AM
duckies0's Avatar Maggie's Mommy
Uck! I'm sorry you're having such a horrible time with this. I don't have anything close to what you described, but I have found a small glass of milk helps right before bed. Let us know if anything like that helps!

April 12th, 2012, 02:03 PM
amberj90's Avatar Veteran
I wake up with it every single night. The only thing that works for me is taking a sip or two of pickle juice. I know it sounds weird, but it helps every time! the kind that works best for me is the best maid hamburger dills. It does burn for a second right after you drink it, but it completely goes away within the next couple minutes
April 12th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I had some warm milk with honey to try to soothe my throat. I'm not having anymore heartburn, but I'm having sharp pains in my chest and my throat burns very badly.. I guess from the acid being in there last night. Plus I'm drooling in my mouth...

If I have problems again tonight (though I pray I don't because my throat is already so inflamed), I'm going to consider going to the doctor... Should I just see my general practitioner for this?

Oh and I've tried pickle juice before but it only worked for maybe 20 minutes..

Received October 8th!

April 12th, 2012, 07:21 PM
BlessedMommyx's Avatar Stephanie
I have Reflux Disease in general (not just with pregnancy), and it really sucks to find the right cure for this because it's so different for everyone. What helps a little bit for me is not eating as heavily at night and going for a walk if you can in the evening to get things moving in there before bed.

Also, if you're uncomfortable sitting in an upright position you really don't need to. It doesn't do much honestly.

April 12th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Veteran
I take Zantac and spot treat with Tums. I have it pretty bad... the last few nights even taking Zantac and eating Tums it's been keeping me up. I feel your pain. Hugs

Savannah 1/23/09
Lucas 4/27/12
April 12th, 2012, 11:19 PM
gingerrae's Avatar Veteran
I would try papaya enzymes. Tums works great for me but I have also used papaya and it works great too but it's just more expensive than tums and since Tums works for me why pay more.
April 13th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Oh no more Tums for me. I figured out that the 2 Tums I took when it started bothering me was what made it so bad later on. Supposedly when you take Tums, it temporarily eases the problem and everything is fine, but once it dissolves, sometimes your stomach will freak out because it wasn't able to keep making stomach acid and will making a ton more to make up for it. Thus, the terrible acid reflux in my mouth/throat.

I took papaya enzymes yesterday after lunch and dinner. Also drank a cup of warm rooibos tea (red tea) before going to bed. (Any cold drinks bother the acid, sad cause I was craving ice water last night). Anyway, the two of those things made it possible for me to sleep acid reflux free And almost heartburn free. I had a little heartburn. [I also ate popcorn chicken and french fries for dinner, not exactly the safest thing for acid reflux]

I didn't feel acid in my throat again until I woke around 11:30. Then I guess it was because I had digested everything. I ate a bowl of oatmeal, took more papaya enzyme, and I'm starting to feel better.

Thanks ladies

Received October 8th!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search