Log In Sign Up

My Berrykin Princess, Amelia KrisAnn 4/19/12

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2012, 10:33 PM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 3,505
Well, due to the size of my previous kids, the doctor offered a month ago to give me a c-section if I hadn't had her by a certain date, and I picked the 19th, but after I dialated to a 4 a week or two after that conversation, I was told that as long as the doctor on call that day was good with it, I would be given a chance at an induction. When I met with her a week before Amy was born, she agreed to give it a shot and that totally made my day.

So, I kept hoping to go into labor before the 19th but no such luck. We woke up at 5am that morning, called L&D and were told to come in at 7:30 (that gave us time to get Kat on the bus). We got there and apparently they had just got done with a very difficult situation, so we were immediately put into a room but other then getting my IV and into a gown, we were left alone til nearly 10:30, which is when I got my pitocin. I did meet with the anesthesiologist about my possible epi before the pit was started and signed the paperwork as I was sure I was gonna need it, but Bob and I just spent time on our tablets and watched tv.

Finally, pit was started and as the contractions started, they were totally in my back. I was encouraged to sit in the rocking type chair, which helped for awhile but my contractions started getting closer together and I felt like I was getting no time in between them to relax. I got back in bed and rolled to my side and they started to space out a bit more. So, my pit was increased and by this point it was nearly 6 pm. My OB came in, commented on how she liked that I was having to breathe and concentrate through them and I got my first pelvic exam. I had only progressed from a 4 to a 4.5/5. But I was completely effaced. She offered to break my water, I told her I would like to get my epidural first, as it was all in my back and I knew I would have an internal monitor done at that time (and a catheter) and I didn't want to feel any of it. So in the next 30 minutes, my epidural was put in and I was given another 30 minutes for it to fully take hold. My OB came back, broke my water and then immediately had to leave to deliver a baby in the next room. No internal monitor. At this point it was closer to 8 (my hubby corrected me on this, I thought it was closer to 7). I got the shivers at this point and then threw up, which has never happened to me before in labor. (I also threw up after I had her too.)

About an hour after my water was broken, I started having pressure and pain in my lower back, much lower then where my epi was.. I told my nurse and then the new doctor (shift change) came in, one I have seen a few times during my pregnancy. And the resident that irritated me when I had gone to L&D for monitoring the week before. FLAKE, that's all I really can say to describe him. Ah well. He checked me and said "Hmmm, either that's a head or cervix..... yep head. There is no cervix." Holy crap, I went from a 5 to a 10 in an hour. And for me this is highly unusual.

She was still very high, and because the Epi was still in place and working, he just had me birth her down (I didn't even know this was possible before this birth). I felt the pain in my back with each urge to push and each time I felt that pain, I felt the cord for the internal monitor slide a bit more out of me. After an hour of birthing her down, the doctor came and checked me and said it was time for me to push. I must say, I was more numb on my left side then my right, my left leg felt so heavy that I had to have my hubby to hold it for me and I just used it to pull on as I pushed. I did 3 rounds of pushing through my contractions and rested to prepare for my 4th round, I was told she was almost there, the next pushing set should get her head and shoulders out. Well, I started pushing and suddenly the pediatrician is pressing on my stomach and I think his assistant was also. Everyone is telling me to keep pushing, even though I think my contraction was gone, even Bob sounded urgent as he encouraged me to keep pushing. I think I pushed 6 times with that one (compared to 4 with each of the previous 3 times) and suddenly she was out. Right before she came out, I heard the OB say that they would be passing her immediately to the pediatrician. Out she came, silent and I looked up and she was gray. They immediately had her at the bed waiting and Bob went that way, even the OB's were staring at her and then I heard the doctor say "Oh, her arms are waving, that's good" And all I could think was "if her arms are waving then she should be screaming" and as soon as I thought it, she let out a scream. Bob said her color evened out fairly quickly after that, but I still couldn't see her. Then the OB and the resident are focusing on me and it felt like just moments and I gave a push and delivered the placenta. I don't recall with Brandon that it felt like a weight slipped from me, I think I felt that more then having Amelia (the weight being lifted). Well, I'm laying there, staring at Amelia, when I could glimpse her around the doctor, nurse and Bob standing near her and I realize the OB and resident are still hovering over my crotch and I start paying attention to them. The doctor looks at me and says "You're bleeding a little heavier then we like, so it's gonna be a bit longer" and for the next 10 minutes or so they are muttering back and forth about how maybe there is a tear in my cervix or something. Didn't occur to me what was going on. Finally it slowed and they gave me 4 stitches for my small tear. It wasn't until the next morning that I was really told what had happened. Amelia's left shoulder got stuck, that is why the doctor commented on her arms waving. She doesn't have shoulder dsytocia though, thank goodness. Then I started hemorrhaging, but also didn't realize that until the next day when the resident came in at the end of his shift to check on me and tell me to take it a bit more easy due to the hemorrhage. So, easy labor and some drama at the end.

Amelia is beautiful. We are all smitten with her, even Kat gives her the tiniest bit of attention (which is amazing, she ignored Brandon for 2 or 3 years). She is still on lights for her jaundice but it is coming down. Bob told me that the ped nurse commented before she was weighed that she looks like she weighs 12 pounds. This is what was said when Brandon was born before he was weighed lol. I'm glad I didn't hear it at the time.

So, Amelia KrisAnn.
10lbs 6oz
21.5 inches

We are doing her newborn pictures at 2 weeks old. Here are some pics I took with my cell phone!


“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

Last edited by shanirah; April 26th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
April 26th, 2012, 09:32 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 35,050
What a great birth story!! Congrats mama!! She's a cutie pie!!

=May '05 and '11

Reply With Quote
April 26th, 2012, 01:18 PM
JenJen3574's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 796
Glad you didn't have an actual shoulder dsytocia. She is just darling - congratulations!
Alex - DS16 - 8/17/1995
Katie - DD7 - 5/28/2004
Clara - born - 4/12/2012
Once a decade, right?

Reply With Quote
April 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 543
Glad everything turned out fine! I love her cheeks! I had a similar experience with postpartum hemorrage after delivering the placenta with my son, it was very scary.

Reply With Quote
April 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM
bethysfirst1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,406
Omg! Look at those chubby cheeks! I love her. Congrats
Bethany: 35 (SAHM)
DH: 44 (married 7 years)
DD: 5 my little love!
DS: 19 months
Baby #3: Due March 2nd

10/27/2014 @ 16 weeks baby girl
1/25/2014 @ 7 weeks

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0