Did anyone see this?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By momma_d
  • 2 Post By amazing_love
  • 5 Post By MJTKNT
  • 4 Post By mnmstone
  • 3 Post By karenwalter

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2012, 12:23 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
**DO NOT DEBATE!!!**

Breastfeeding a 3 year old is not for me, but I know we have a lot of pro-attachment mommies hanging around here! Honestly, I think this cover is freaking awesome simply because of the boldness of it!

Time breastfeeding cover sparks controversy | The Cutline - Yahoo! News
Kasey36 likes this.
May 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's 2 months til my little guy turns 3 and he doesn't look that old to me. I could see still breastfeeding him. I think they dressed the kid to look older just to catch attention. Of course everyone sees their baby as their baby if you kwim. My kids wouldn't even point it out if they saw this mag I'm pretty sure.

May 10th, 2012, 12:58 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I loved the cover. While BF'ing that late has not been for me and my children, I commend the moms who do keep it up. It's a personal decision, quite frankly, and one I'm not sure why sparks controversy. If you choose not to, why would you care what another mom chooses to do to nourish her children?Just as there's nothing wrong with a mom who chooses to bottlefeed. I'd never say anything about her personal decision as it's hers to make, as is nursing and how long a mom chooses to continue.

A year's been my limit for BFing as of now, but I do hope to go a little longer with Bailey since she's most likely my last. I like the bonding time it gives me with them.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

May 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I see nothing wrong with a mom BFing as long as she would like. Who am i to say? That being said i wasn't a fan of the cover. Something about it.. how they are posed seems awkward and forced to me.
AmyT and Enitsirk like this.

May 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, breastfeeding that long is definitely not for me. I breastfed my oldest dd until about 9 months. I stopped then because I became pregnant with my 2nd dd. The doctor told me they were basically competing for nutrients. Had I continued, I probably would have breastfed up to one year. That is the cut off for me. How long other women choose to breastfeed is none of my business! However, I can see why it would cause controversy.

As far as the cover, I'm not a fan.

May 10th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not a fan of the cover either..

May 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not a fan of the cover, but huge proponent of what it's standing for. I just don't like that it seems like they've sexualized it to draw attention. Why not take a real picture of a mom holding her toddler feeding him?

May 10th, 2012, 02:26 PM
wishfulgal
Wow. Not a fan of the cover, and breastfeeding that long is not a choice I would make. I'm all for extended BFing, but I don't think it should be done in public. BFing a 3 MONTH old in public is one thing (and something I did with my son, under a cover). But a 3 YEAR old does not NEED to BF on demand, and I think it should be done in the privacy of one's own home. My 3-year-old is a lot smaller than the one pictured....he looks 5!

Last edited by wishfulgal; May 11th, 2012 at 06:50 AM.
May 10th, 2012, 06:19 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also don't like that cover but do like the boldness of it like you said.

Did anyone see Grown Ups with Adam Sandler? They had a breastfeeding 4yo in it, and all I said about it was, "if my kid is old enough to TELL me he wants my milk, then he's too old to get it from my boob." lol but that's just my personal feelings. If it works for other moms, then that's their choice. I just would not want to see a child that old BFing in public.

10/01/15 @ 8.5 weeks
11/17/15 @ 4 weeks (chemical)
1/25/16 @ 4.5 weeks
3/07/16 @ 5.5 weeks

Struggling with how much more my heart can take.
May 10th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Super Mommy
I saw this today and I'm torn. To many people, I would be considered an extended breastfeeder, but to the women highlighted in the article, not at all. (I nursed mine for 18 and 16 months) I'm absolutely for the idea that women have the right to extended nursing, but I didn't like this picture either, mainly because the first thing I thought was, "They chose this mom-child pair because Mom is Hot and child looks much older than his age." In other words, it's provocative on purpose; they wanted to get people talking, but I don't think a lot of this talk I've heard so far (other places, not here) is going to be good for breastfeeding.
May 10th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Veteran
I'm very pro-breastfeeding but something about this cover struck me as offensive. I nursed both of my kids in public, though discreetly, and I love when I see Moms with the courage to breastfeed in public as well. That being said though, I don't think this cover will help support the cause, I think it will hurt it. Their intent seems to be to take a natural thing and make it look as unnatural as possible to shock and offend.
May 10th, 2012, 10:25 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not a fan of the cover either, because it seems purposely staged for controversy, but I hugely support extended breastfeeding.
I breastfed Kambree until she turned three.I would have gone a little longer but I stopped after having two miscarriages (pretty sure it wasn't related but there was a theoretical concern that since I'd been nursing SO long that perhaps the amount of prolactin I made might be supressing progesterone). I stopped when Bree was three almost on the dot and Mia was about 18 months. Mia didn't really nurse much anymore though anyhow and was well on the way to self weaning. Neither of them had much trouble with weaning besides a few times asking where I'd just distract them.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
May 11th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
Not a fan either but purely because it looked contrived and posed almost for shock value.

I wouldn't breastfeed that long but that is just my personal opinion. Each family does what they believe best for their kids.

Last edited by Starstrydergrrl; May 11th, 2012 at 06:36 AM.
May 11th, 2012, 10:20 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no problem with anyone extended breastfeeding their child if they feel that is what is right for them and the child. BUT That photo is so unrealistic! Like someone else said, show a mom on a couch cuddling her 3 year old while breastfeeding and show that BOND that they have...that's what it is all about...NOT at all what I see in that picture!

May 11th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Kasey36's Avatar Mommy of 2 soon :)
I am not a fan of the cover either..... For me and this is just me but there is no way I would bf my child at 2 or 3 years old. By the time my son was 3 he would ask questions about mommy what's that or what are those b/c he would come in while I was getting dressed or something and I would just say I am girl so I have girl parts. By 3 he was way to old for me anyways to be attaching to my boob in his mouth instead he was off the bottle and drinking his sippy cups! It's just IMO crossing a sex line or something in mind that does not feel right. I am not here to judge tho that's just how I feel for me.

May 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally agree with you all about the way it is posed, etc. I don't know how I feel about the post itself, but I honestly like that it is just so bold and out there.

I don't think I follow a lot of the attachment parenting myself, but I guess what I like about this is just the statement of it, KWIM? It amazes me the stuff they put on television and movies, and no one bats an eye. But put a kid "breastfeeding" on a magazine cover and there is a complete uproar! That is what I mean by all of it I guess!
May 11th, 2012, 10:43 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_d View Post
I totally agree with you all about the way it is posed, etc. I don't know how I feel about the post itself, but I honestly like that it is just so bold and out there.

I don't think I follow a lot of the attachment parenting myself, but I guess what I like about this is just the statement of it, KWIM? It amazes me the stuff they put on television and movies, and no one bats an eye. But put a kid "breastfeeding" on a magazine cover and there is a complete uproar! That is what I mean by all of it I guess!
Totally agree with you, Danielle! There's half-naked women on most magazine covers in plain view in checkout aisles everywhere and you see much more of a breast and flesh than this photo shows, yet no says anything or gives it a second thought. Yet, this cover comes out and everyone freaks, LOL. I do agree that it could've been a better bond represented in the way the photo was staged and they were trying to cause controversy with the shot set-up, as that's how the business is done. The more controversial, the better it sells, sadly.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

May 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't like the cover either, not so much because of the EBFing thing, but more because I feel like this woman and the magazine used this poor child and exploited him I would never make my child the public face of something you know will be controversal and cause an uproar.

Plus I agree with the others, it doesn't show the nurturing aspects that AP strives to promote
wishfulgal, mnmstone and Kasey36 like this.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

May 11th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Kasey36's Avatar Mommy of 2 soon :)
I guess I just feel like BF itself is so private, personal and loving between the momma and baby and to me this child in the pic looks like he is 6 not 3 and that they are like here kid put this in your mouth and smile! Just something not right there!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search