Cloth Diapering - so lost... (update)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
So, DH and I kind of want to try cloth diapering the new baby. I've read some of the FAQ's and the 101 section of the Cloth Diapering forum and I swear I am more confused now than I was before. I have no clue what to get or what brand etc... For those of you cloth diapering, what do you use? I just don't know where to start. There are way too many options and terms, I just need someone to tell me what to buy! lol! I'm thinking prefolds and covers but really don't know.

Opinion on these? Amazon.com: Thirsties Duo Wrap Snap, Blackbird, Size One (6-18 lbs): Baby

Do you just buy any prefolds to go with these?

These are the prefolds I was looking at. Do these just sit in the cover or do you have to pin them on the baby somehow. I feel like such an ignoramis!!!

Amazon.com: OsoCozy 6 Pack Prefolds Unbleached Cloth Diapers, Size 1: Baby

Last edited by Leanne78; August 13th, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
August 10th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm feeling pretty lost, too. I signed up to take a cloth diapering workshop in Boston next month to help me out! The best advice I got was to buy a few different types and brands at first and see what works best for you and the baby.

So far I've bought the following brands to try: Fuzzibunz, Alva, Sunbaby, and Giraffiti. For prefolds and covers, they really recommended I try Econobums.

August 10th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im going to keep it simple and let you know what works best for us, newborn age only..

Prefolds get at least 2 dozen
snappis (not necessary, but they help)
I like fitteds for newborns. I use Kissaluvs
Kissaluvs Fitted Cloth Diapers | Kissaluvs Outlet Store | Cloth diapers
You will need a cover (probably 6-10 minimum. they dont get wet everytime, but they do get wet sometime and need to be changed @ diaper change.)
this is a good workhorse cover
Proraps Classic - Diaper Covers - Cotton Babies Cloth Diaper Store
this one is good to
Bummis Super Snap - Diaper Covers - Cotton Babies Cloth Diaper Store

If you sew you could make your own. I cannot even explain, how easy it is. Especially covers!
Very Baby Cloth Diaper Pattern

HTH

August 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Nicole - So do you use just the fitted with a cover for newborns or do you stuff a prefold in there too?

August 10th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use the fitteds with a cover.

I use the prefolds with a cover when I get lazy and need to wash diapers

August 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM
~l~
Leanne, I loved Thirsties covers with DD1 and still have five that I use with DD2 when I run out of pockets and AIO's. Thirsties are a great brand of covers if you choose to go that route. Because prefolds and covers are the least expensive option, it is a good place to start until you are really committed to cloth diapering.
If you decide to try pockets or AIO's... I have only tried a couple of brands, but I absolutely love Bum Genius and get sad whenever they are all dirty and have to use my other brands. I used to make my decisions based on cost, but now I buy things that Seem to work the best and make my life more convenient. I just bought 18 of these bumGenius Newborn All-In-One Cloth Diaper, FREE SHIPPING, Sweetbottoms Baby Boutique, Baby Store, Raleigh, Cary for the first couple of months. I love that they are AIO's, so no pockets to stuff... As close to disposable as you can get. I am hoping by the time she outgrows these, DD2 will be potty trained... i don't have quite enough of the one size to do both of them, so if DD2 doesn't potty train, I will definitely buy more of the bum genius one size.
August 10th, 2012, 07:49 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love kissaluv's for newborns and bum genius aio's as they get bigger. Going to try some different kinds this time.

August 10th, 2012, 08:09 PM
How hard are the BumGenius ones to wash? That was my only concern with an AIO instead of a prefold. They would definitely be easier to deal with though.

I found some BumGenius on Amazon.com that talk about inserts? Do they make pocket one and AIO's? These ones came with a newborn insert and a regular insert that you could switch out as your baby grew. I think they were called BumGenius 4.0. This gets more and more complicated the more I look into it!

August 10th, 2012, 09:55 PM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hahaha!! You literally sound JUST like me!! I wanted to cloth diaper all of my kids (kinda started to with Kylie then she potty trained young, did a little with mason but not til he was older). Anyway, when I was pregnant with Culken I did all the research, got so overwhelmed, asked people to tell me what to buy, and decided on ore folds with covers. We never did end up CDing him, but we are definitely doing it this time!

Cullen, not Culken

August 10th, 2012, 10:01 PM
fireflyluna13's Avatar Super Mommy
After reading alot of reviews by moms who CD I am going to try Thirsties duo snap wrap covers with prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers. GMD has an awesome website that is very informational and explained all the stuff I was lost on.
~Selena, mom to 3 boys: Alex 10, William 8. and Baby boy #3 Lukas Araya born 10/28/2012

Lukas was born with moderate to severe metopic craniosynostosis with trigonocephaly. Corrective surgery performed March 18, 2013. We are on the other side!!!
August 10th, 2012, 10:44 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Pockets and AIOs are the closest you can get to sposies and if you get one size dipes you can use them from ~8lbs up depending on fit. The only difference with pockets is that you have to "stuff" them, basically stick an absorbent pad inside of the pocket, and they dry a lot faster than AIOs. AIOs are just what they say, all in one, just like a sposie but you wash it! I started CDing at 8 months with Eli so we bypassed the NB dipes, so I don't know much about using prefolds and covers. This time we will use NB sposies til we get a good fit with our pockets and AIOs
We like kawaii and BGs.
I didn't really "get it" til my friend showed me her diapers and let me try one on Eli. Then I was sold. I think buying one and getting your hands on it will make it less confusing. You can also search for YouTube videos on CDing to make it easier to understand. It really is confusing til you jump into it!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
August 10th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This'll help:

Different Types of Cloth Diapers- YouTube

it took me a really long time to get the hang of all the different aspects of cloth diapering.

We started with prefolds and covers and I decided I like pockets better, and we used them exclusively until potty training. This is my first time using cloth with a newborn, though, so I will be trying a little bit of everything.

When I very first started, I did buy a ton of AIO because they seemed the easiest and made most sense. The thing with the all in ones, though, is that there's no customization. With a pocket, you can add extra inserts and customize according to needs, whereas the AIO's were nowhere near absorbent enough for us. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

August 11th, 2012, 05:37 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
Am I the only one who didn't like Kissaluvs for a newborn? I found the fit to be horrible and they didn't hold much... My personal favorite newborn fitted is a Nanipoo: Nanipoo diapers Online Shop

For prefolds, I usually prefer the green mountain diapers because they are wider and shorter, which means no folding down, but I have discovered the imagine prefolds at Nicki's Diapers, which are cheaper and the same dimensions: Imagine "Smart Fit" Prefold Diapers - Dozen

It can definitely be a trial and error in the beginning to find what works for you and your baby. Once I find something, I tend to stick with it and don't go all crazy trying different brands, lol!

Here are some pictures of little tiny Elizabeth in her NB cloth For these first ones, she was about 2 weeks old and her birth weight was 6lbs 10oz
Nanipoo:

Kissaluv Size 0

She was 1 month old in this pic, so 8-ish pounds? Small GAD:

1month old in a small Fuzzi Bunz

Gosh I can't believe how tiny she was I am starting to get excited about W getting here and CDing him!
Nicole1481 likes this.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

August 11th, 2012, 06:59 AM
newserenity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you been to the Diaperswappers forum? There is SO much useful info there. I highly recommend the site!

I cloth diapered for about a year. I preferred using BG pocket diapers when out but, also used prefolds (that I got from Green Mountain Diapers) and Thirsties covers at home.

August 11th, 2012, 08:39 AM
How cute is this Nanipoo diaper??? Newborn sweet ballerina fairy :: Nanipoo diapers Online Shop Sold out of course.

August 11th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Thank you so much by the way ladies. I'm feeling a little less overwhelmed now. I think I'm going to try a combo of things - probably get some of the Bum Genius newborn AIO's to start and some pocket diapers and covers with prefolds to try out to. Akadia might be a guinea pig for me if I can find a diaper in her size to try out. I feel like we are throwing money away on her right now on diapers.

This little cover is so cute by the way. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/kissas_wool.htm

Last edited by Leanne78; August 11th, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
August 11th, 2012, 09:34 AM
We started really late with caleb.. I don't think I cloth'd him till 1 1/2 but he was nowhere near PT'd so I just did it. Saved us a crap load of money. If you could get her on AIO, one pocket and a prefold and cover maybe it'll help you notice the differences that are hard to explain online. That's what I needed. There are many groups on FB for diaper buying. I have bought every one of our diapers that way and don't ever spend full price,
Here's a few

NB cloth swap: https://www.facebook.com/groups/416878408325819/

Cloth diaper swap: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClothDiaperSwap/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bstfluffandstuff/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/108712632555676/

Cheapie dipes swap (10$ and under) https://www.facebook.com/groups/cheapiedipes/

I scan those periodically for deals and look when I am looking to buy. Lots of great deals. And will help you get a look for what they all look like.

August 11th, 2012, 11:31 AM
~l~
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Calebs_Momma) View Post
This'll help:

Different Types of Cloth Diapers- YouTube

it took me a really long time to get the hang of all the different aspects of cloth diapering.

We started with prefolds and covers and I decided I like pockets better, and we used them exclusively until potty training. This is my first time using cloth with a newborn, though, so I will be trying a little bit of everything.

When I very first started, I did buy a ton of AIO because they seemed the easiest and made most sense. The thing with the all in ones, though, is that there's no customization. With a pocket, you can add extra inserts and customize according to needs, whereas the AIO's were nowhere near absorbent enough for us. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Not that stuffing pockets is hard, it's just one more thing I would rather not do, however I mostly have pockets- bum genius 4.0 to be exact and I bought most of them from Amazon- free shipping with prime and no tax... Caleb'smom makes a really good point about pockets- you can stuff as much as you need especially for nighttime. However, with AIO's, you can add a soaker or whatever they call them on top of the diaper for extra absorbency. For my two year old, I put the larger pad and the newborn pad inside the diaper AND add a soaker between the diaper and her bum in order to have no leaks all night long. Every child is different and may or may not need as much.
It is true that AIO's take longer to dry, though I don't expect that to be a problem with the newborn size because they are so tiny and adorable
August 11th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Alisha - I'm pretty sure at this point I'm going to do the BG's AIO's for the new baby to start off with. Just easier to start with. For Akadia, I'm going back and forth between the Thirsties with prefolds (or maybe fitteds although that is a lot more expensive!) or the BG's with the pockets. What do you get for that extra soaker to go in the BG's? The way Akadia goes through diapers though, I would need to buy tons of BG's but that would actually still be cheaper than getting the Thirsties with the fitted diapers underneath.

Last edited by Leanne78; August 11th, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
August 11th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhk View Post
Not that stuffing pockets is hard, it's just one more thing I would rather not do, however I mostly have pockets- bum genius 4.0 to be exact and I bought most of them from Amazon- free shipping with prime and no tax... Caleb'smom makes a really good point about pockets- you can stuff as much as you need especially for nighttime. However, with AIO's, you can add a soaker or whatever they call them on top of the diaper for extra absorbency. For my two year old, I put the larger pad and the newborn pad inside the diaper AND add a soaker between the diaper and her bum in order to have no leaks all night long. Every child is different and may or may not need as much.
It is true that AIO's take longer to dry, though I don't expect that to be a problem with the newborn size because they are so tiny and adorable
I've been thinking about trying some AIOs in newborn size for that reason. We hang dry so drying time is important to me but since they're so tiny they can't take THAT long, right?! And the lil' joeys look adorable I just want to look at them all day long lol

I didn't even think of that with the soakers, we didn't stick with aio's that long so I know more about the others.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search