Medium flow nipples

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2013, 06:05 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just yesterday I switched Remy to some medium flow nipples and OMG the difference in time is incredible - I felt like it was taking sooo long for him to drink a bottle with slow flow and now he finishes pretty quickly. But ever since I switched him he is starting to spit up a little more, and for some reason if it comes up after he's had time to digest it's an orange color. Also, he will drink 4 or 5 oz fast and then want more like 1.5 to 2 hrs later, so I thought maybe I would up the amount I'm giving him to extend the time between bottles a little more. So tonight I fed him 6 oz all at once, and less than a minute later he spit up a HUGE amount - probably 1 or 2 oz worth! It was everywhere I don't know whether I should keep giving him medium flow and let him adjust, or if it's just not settling with him well. The orange spit up freaks me out too. I'm torn. Any thoughts from bottle feeding moms?

January 27th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
IDK we just switched Aden to medium flow nipples for when I am at work and he pounds it back and does not spit up but I am thinking I might move him up to a five oz bottle of BM at a time. If I was you right now what I would do is make him six oz bottles all day for a day and let him eat what he wants he should stop himself when he is done maybe he will take a six oz bottle in the morning and then a 4 or 5 oz at noon babies are not cookie cutter other than that I am not sure as long as he seems happy and is not choking or getting really upset when he spits up then he should be fine.

January 27th, 2013, 08:06 PM
No he wasn't upset just surprised when it happened, haha. I'm still giving him slow flow before bed and in the night because that's his wind down time and I feel like the medium will be way too much for him during those times. I did hear that babies need a few days to adjust to a new flow though so hopefully within the next few days he'll be better with the medium.

January 27th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
Maybe burp more regularly during a feed? Kenny spat up hugely and we ended up needing to burp more often, so with Mika I burp at least four times during a feed. After each 50ml (1.6 ounces according to google) and a big burp session after she finishes the bottle.

January 28th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not currently bottle feeding, but I did bottle feed 3 of my kids. I think you should give it a few days and see how well Remy adjusts to the medium flow. That was a great idea to continue giving him the slow flow nipples at bedtime. I agree with trying to burp him more often than you otherwise would. He may be taking in more air with the heavier flow nipple since he is drinking faster.

January 28th, 2013, 10:53 AM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I recently switched Elliott too!

He takes in much more air with faster nipples. I can hear it gurgle with every swallow. I will sometimes burp him after 3 gulps even, and he'll let out a good one. Then at the end I burp him and he will burp massive. It's important to burp frequently because if formula/bm is poured over the burp...the burp will come up but it will push all that bm/formula out first.

Sometimes it will take elliott 10 minutes to get the burp out, but when he does, it's usually a big one and he will burp a couple smaller ones right after (the King Kahuna was blocking the way lol).

I don't know about orange spit up. Could it be the formula color, or baby food he had or anything? Maybe even an allergy to it? Elliott is on Alimentum and spits up 1/5 if that of the amount he used to. He barely spits up now, only if he burps or you lay him on his tummy right after.

TTC W/PCOS since January of 2016

CP: 6/3/16 at 5 weeks/BETA 40

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/29e5b3

BFP 7/5/16 11DPO turned to blighted ovum 7/29/16 at 6w6d measuring 5W5D beta 2682

Clomid+trigger 11/4/16
January 28th, 2013, 01:04 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just switched Matthew to med flow nipples now for when hes not with me to. DH did the first feeding with the med flow and didn't say anything bad about it. I would just give it a couple days for him to adjust and burp more frequently as well. When Matthew gets a bottle he will burp like crazy after! As for the orange spit up I have no idea on that one... the only thing I can think of is if your feeding him some orange baby food (happened with Matthew) but your waiting untill 6 months for solids right? Sorry I couldn't help more with that but I would say research it maybe or call his ped..

January 28th, 2013, 07:31 PM
I didn't consider the burping thing so I will have to try that... poor baby just seems to be spitting up WAY more than usual! It makes me want to go back to the slow flow but I feel like he's losing out either way! I'll have to try and burp him after every ounce or so and see what happens.

January 29th, 2013, 06:30 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Bailey is BF'd, so I just leave her with the slow flow nipple when she has her bottles. She actually spits up less after bottle feeding, LOL! I think it's because I have a very strong let down and I flow fast myself. You can hear her gulping the entire time she's nursing. I think the slow flow lets her get less milk per suck than nursing does. I just wanted to say that I hope he adjusts quickly!!! I'm not sure about the color of the spit-up. If it's been in his stomach for a few minutes before he spits up, it could be that it's already mixed with some of the stomach acids. If it continues to be an orange color, I'd probably just ask his dr when he goes in for his 4mo check-up.

Oh, and I also have to tell you that I'm loving the pics I'm seeing of Remy! He is getting to be that chunky baby you wanted! He's getting so big and squishy!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

January 29th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks Katie!!! I love seeing Bailey too, she makes me smile! I can't believe how old our babies are now!!

I decided to go back to the slow flow again, I just couldn't deal with all the spitting up and I will probably try again in a couple weeks when he turns 4 months! For now I will deal with the painfully slow feedings, lol!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search