Log In Sign Up

Real introduction

Forum: 2014 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2013, 03:47 PM
kchav314's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 666
After reading through posts today, I realized how far behind I am! I decided to do a quick catch up post for myself.

As I said before, my name is Katie and I'm 27. My husband's name is Raymond, and we've been married 6 years next month. We live in Virginia Beach, VA.

I teach 2nd grade inclusion. We have two dogs, a beagle and an English cream golden retriever.

Our daughter's name is Emmalyn Rose, and here's a recent picture of her. She turned 1 on June 22.

I'm attaching my birth story from Emmalyn at the end that I typed up for my June DDC. Gives a little history. I'm hoping for a natural birth this time with no epidural, because honestly, that was the worst part of the whole process. Hopefully, this time, I won't have a parent die within 48 hours of giving birth though!

This baby was a surprise for us. We were going to start trying later this year, but God had other plans. We're very excited now though!

I'm already in maternity clothes for sure, and God I hate them! Let me know if you have any get-to-know you questions!

Birth Story - Baby #1

Unfortunately, my birth story starts out on a sad note. My dad passed away around 12:15 on June 20th. Up until then, I had not felt the first contraction or discomfort to tell me I was going into labor. I got home around 2:00 and all of a sudden felt this tightening up in my back. After a couple of them, I realized I was having contractions. They were very far apart and quite sporadic, so I figured they’d be going on for days. I was already scheduled to go in Thursday evening (21st) for an induction, so I just went about my business. I laid down that night at 11:30, and my contractions started becoming much closer together and more regular. After timing contractions for about 7 hours and seeing them go from 10 min apart, to 8 min, to 5 min, to 3 min, I decided I needed to go into L & D. My husband had been up with me for a while, and my mom was staying at our house so she wouldn’t have to face being home alone just yet, so I rounded them up and we were on our way. We checked in to the hospital around 9 a.m. By this point, my contractions had spread back out and become much less intense. I was dilated 3 cm and 80% effaced, so they did say I would not need the cervadil I was supposed to be getting that evening. However, I told the nurse in triage about my Dad dying the day before and my three sleepless nights prior to and about coming back that night to be induced. She said they really were not busy, and they decided to admit me. They tried giving me Ambien to help me get some rest, but I just couldn’t sleep. I asked if we could go ahead and start Pitocin and get the ball rolling. The OB agreed. I had to receive a round of penicillin first because I was GBS positive. I started getting Pitocin around 4:30 on Thursday. My contractions had already picked back up and were very close together but were still irregular and had no pattern. The Pitocin did the trick. I quickly dilated to 5 cm, then an hour later to 7 cm. I tried, I really tried, to have a natural labor, but I was physically and mentally exhausted from everything going on, so I finally asked for an epidural around 9 p.m. Well ladies, I learned never to wait until you’re at your breaking point to ask for the epidural! The anesthesiologist was packed and didn’t get into my room until 11:30 p.m. He was awful! He started poking at my back which was killing me from back labor. He put the catheter in my back FIVE TIMES trying to find the right spot, and he just couldn’t get it. He kept saying “hmmm” and it was driving me nuts. I was nearly in tears by this point, and I thought DH was going to take him out. He finally called in his assistant who thankfully got it in on the first try. The meds started working fairly quickly, and I felt relief for the first time in over 24 hours. So now we’re at 12:30 a.m. on 6/22. The nurse kept checking me every hour, but 7 cm seemed to be my stopping point. By 7 a.m. I was dilated 8 cm and 90% effaced, so they finally decided to break my water. The nurse checked me again at 8 a.m. and I was up to 9 cm. And at 9:00 I was still at 9 cm. And at 10:00. By 10:00 I could feel baby pressing down hard and felt like I needed to push. There was still a little bit of my cervix in the way. The nurse tried to move it, but it wouldn’t budge. She told me at 11:00 she would be back and we would get this baby out! I was still scared to death of needing a c-section because the OB had said she’d be about 11 pounds. At 11:00, the nurse came back in and asked if I was ready to have a baby. Heck yeah! I gave one push, and she saw Emmalyn’s head coming out. I gave another and she decided to go get the doctor. The doctor came in, sat down, I gave one set of pushes, and out came Emmalyn at 11:14! I could tell the OB was shocked she had popped out so fast. The OB held her up and said, “Do you want her?” Of course, I said yes (although I should have said, “As opposed to what, putting her back?). The cord was wrapped around her neck at birth, so I only got her for a second before they had to check all her vitals. I could see the reflection of what was happening to me in the light above the bed, and saw this huge pool of blood. The doctor explained that I had a second degree tear and needed to be stitched up. I didn’t care, and just wanted my baby! They weighed her – 8 lb. 6 oz. and almost 22 inches long – quite the stark contrast from the 11 pounds she was supposed to be! Apgars were 8 and 9, and the nurse gave her back to me to keep. Although things started out on such a sad note, it still turned out to be the most amazing experience of my life!

Reply With Quote
July 18th, 2013, 05:31 PM
sgh's Avatar
sgh sgh is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Detroit, Mi
Posts: 3,337
Awww beautiful! im sorry for your loss You're daughter is adorable!
Reply With Quote
July 18th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Small Town NC
Posts: 4,817
I am sorry about your Dad, but regardless of the epidural you have a beautiful birth story.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

Reply With Quote
July 18th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 899
She's so cute sorry for ur loss

Reply With Quote
July 18th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canonsburg, Pa
Posts: 973
Sorry for your loss. Your daughter is cute.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0