Log In Sign Up

Alexander's laid back delivery

Forum: 2014 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kristina86

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2014, 02:05 AM
Kristina86's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Luis Obispo
Posts: 131
At 37 weeks, I developed borderline hypertension. We also found out I had a little too much amniotic fluid and he was starting to get a little big. My midwife told me that I would be induced at 39 weeks if I didn't go into labor naturally before that.

Several NST's, lots of raspberry leaf tea, evening primrose oil, and a membrane sweep later, I walked into the hopital at 38 weeks 6 days to start the cervidil. I had lost my mucus plug a few days earlier from the membrane sweep but was barely dilated at a 1. We had to do 2 rounds of cervidil which was one of the least comfortable things about the birth. I had to stay in bed hooked up to the monitors almost the whole time, except for the times I had to use the bathroom. The cervidil kept slipping out so the nurses had to keep putting it back in which got more uncomfortable with each time. I think my cervix was starting to get sensitive.

After 24 hours I was dilated to a 4 and my midwife broke my water. This was the most painful part of my birth. The actual breaking of the water didn't hurt but my midwife was kind of stretching my cervix with her fingers a little and pushing on my stomach. She was up there for awhile since I had lots of amniotic fluid. Such a weird sensation having that hot fluid gushing out of me with each contraction, which were starting to get intense. We started the pitocin and my midwife said I could get the epidural anytime now. My original plan was to try to labor naturally, unless I needed pitocin, then I would get the epidural. They had suggested it anyway since I had hypertension.

The epidural came within minutes of requesting it and it was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was so relaxing to no longer feel contractions and so so nice to not feel my back anymore since the pain in my back was getting pretty bad. I could still feel and move my legs which I was happy about. My mother-in-law, who is awesome and I had requested that she be at the birth called family members to let them know that my water had been broke.

My half sister, who lives 45 minutes away, was able to borrow her mom's car and come visit. She had been there for maybe 10 minutes when Helen, my favorite midwife, came in to check me since I had told the nurse I was starting to slightly feel contractions. He was close to crowning and I didn't even know it. So it was time to push.

I pushed for about 45 minutes and I was able to see him in a mirror that they set up for me. My mother-in-law and my sister were holding my legs and my husband was by my head offering words of enouragement and water.
When I finally got his head out, I will never forget the moment when I saw his upper body between my legs and my midwife said "grab you baby!" I was so thrilled to get my baby that I didn't even realize that I pulled him the rest of the way out, which I didn't even know that I was going to have that option in the first place. It wasn't until my mother-in-law was talking about it later that I had found out I got to do that.

Alexander Drake was born perfect at 9:01 pm on 4-1-14 at 8lbs 10 oz 21 inches. My husband cut the cord and we did skin to skin for a full hour before anyone else held him. Then we did skin to skin for practically the whole night. I was in heaven.

Overall, I'm really happy with the birth. There was only a little pain involved and it was actually pretty relaxing. It wasn't even that boring waiting since I had lots of visitors. I did have a tiny tear and ended up with 1 stitch, so I was pretty tender for the next couple weeks. My pregnancy was pretty easy and so was the birth. At the moment of writing this, my son is 14 weeks old and he is actually a pretty easy baby so far. Laid back pregnancy and birth for a laid back baby. I love being a mommy.
Glitz likes this.

June 2012 May 2013
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0