Log In Sign Up

c-section at 37 weeks

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2011, 02:11 PM
brandywk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,488
My doctor emailed me this last week informing me that I need to be off pain meds 2 weeks before delivery, and that she would most likely be preforming my c-section at 37wks. I'm not sure how I feel about this.. 37wks! I assume she wants to deliver me becasue I've had 3 other c's and the risk for placenta acceta is higher. My last babe was delivered at 36wks, he did ok but I do wonder if his comming early had something to do with all his eating problems.
I'm thinking that maybe I should push to see if I can get those extra couple of weeks. WDYT? Who else is having planed early deliveries? How do you feel about them missing the extra weeks of development. 37weeks is term, but in the weeks to follow they put on more fat and thier gut develops more.
Emmalyn Marie

6lbs 15oz 17.5 inches

Sister to Christian, Madelyn & Samuel

Reply With Quote
November 29th, 2011, 02:19 PM
mythreesons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,693
Personally I think that 37 weeks is a little early. I will also be having my fourth c-section and it is scheduled for 39 weeks 1 day. My first was an emergency section at 38 weeks and the rest were at 39 weeks 1 day. My OB told me that they don;t like to do it early than 39 weeks. Did you have problems with your first pregnancies? Is your doctor worried about something happening?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my wonderful siggy!

Me: Kristine

Reply With Quote
November 29th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Momma to 2 and one angel
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 692
37 weeks is term but if you dont feel comfortable with that ask if they can do it at 38 wks. In the last couple weeks they are just packing on baby fat mostly.

I had my 2nd son just at 36 weeks and we had alot of eating/nursing problems and on top of that my milk never came in till he was almost 3 wks old. I was told his latch problems ect ect was due to him being early.

My OB wants to try to get us to 38 wks this time so here a hopeing.

Reply With Quote
November 29th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,185
Lung development is also continuing after 37 weeks.

If she's a good doctor, she's taking into account all risks and basing her decision on what has the lowest risk. So, the risk of a complication in the baby's health if it is born at 37 weeks is lower than the risk of a complication from delivering after 37 weeks.

Of course, you can never know for sure if that's the approach the doctor is taking. I would suggest getting a 2nd or even 3rd opinion, and hopefully you can find some sort of consensus.
DS born 9/2/09
DD born 3/20/12
Reply With Quote
November 29th, 2011, 02:31 PM
brandywk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,488
From what I've read when placenta accreta is suspected doctors usually go in at 37wks because they don't want you go to into labor on your own.
I had my last at 37 weeks becasue I had vesa previa (blood vessel ran across my cervix) so again they didn't want me to go into labor and start dialating. I ended up going into labor anyways after they gave me the amnio to see if his lungs were developed. His birth was insanely fast, I didn't even have time for my mom to run down to the gift store and get a camera, dh just barely made it in time!
Emmalyn Marie

6lbs 15oz 17.5 inches

Sister to Christian, Madelyn & Samuel

Reply With Quote
November 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 42,367
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Personally, I would push to schedule it at 39 weeks. The March of Dimes has launched a great campaign lately encouraging babies not to be scheduled before then due to prematurity issues - 37 weeks being term is mostly because the survival rate is very high, but that doesn't mean they don't have problems! IMO, unless you have a history of going into labor early, you'll be fairly safe not to begin labor on your own before 39 weeks...and if you do, you can always rush to a hospital at the first sign of it starting. You could also suggest monitoring at 37-38 weeks to make sure labor isn't beginning, you know?

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
Reply With Quote
November 29th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 8,785
Personally, I would push for 39w too. This is my 4th c/s and they are waiting until 38w5d at least. I think that 37w is considered late preterm.
Ontogeny of autonomic regulation in late pre... [Semin Perinatol. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

If I went into labor on my own, I would then have a c/s.
Leann <3 Hector
My trio: Alyssa 7, Tristan 4.75, Gavin 1.5

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Reply With Quote
November 29th, 2011, 05:45 PM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,635
Sounds like maybe you wouldn't have gone into labor the last time had they not done the amnio. I would push for 39 weeks as well.
~Whitney mommy to Zoe 9/26/08 and Zachary 3/2/12~

Reply With Quote
November 29th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 398
I would wait until 39 weeks. I will be doing mine between 36-37 weeks (4th c section) but it's for medical reasons and I have to have steroid shots for his lungs and an amnio to verify lung maturity. I am not happy about it but in my case it's definitely necessity.
Reply With Quote
November 29th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 867
I would want to get as close to 40 weeks as possible, but your dr. may know best. I would want to speak with them directly and see if they are willing to push it back a little. I'm not really sure why they would send you an email instead of meeting face to face to discuss something like this.

Reply With Quote
November 29th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 549
I would also wait until closer to 40 weeks. I had my second csection 14 days early and my son had problems with his stomach as well as breathing issues. My doc wanted him out before he grew to large (gd). He was only 7.11- not big at all.

My doc this time around said that waiting until after 39 weeks should help prevent these problems and the size of a csection baby does not really matter.

A second opinion sounds like a great idea!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0