Log In Sign Up

Zoe's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2012, 09:06 PM
momtomonkeys's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Posts: 658
We went in for a scheduled C-section on Saturday, February 11th. When we got to the hospital we got one final ultrasound to see if Zoe had turned into a head down position. Amazingly, she had! Awesome news! I was only 1 cm dilated. The doctor tried to break my water, but could not. They were concerned about waiting too long to break my water for fear that Zoe would turn around again. So, we started the Pitocin drip and waited. I made it to 3 cms by that evening and the doctor was able to break my water at that time. However, Zoeís heart rate kept decelerating after he did, so they turned the Pitocin off. I continued contracting on my own at that point. At 7am (Sunday the 12th), I was still at 3 cm, so they restarted the Pitocin very carefully and continued to monitor Zoe for distress. She was still having decels with every contraction, but was fine in between. The doctor assumed it was a cord compression issue, and felt comfortable continuing as we were as long as she continued to do well in between contractions. I labored all day with continued dilation, but no thinning of my cervix. As we all know, you can get to a 10 and still not be able to push. At about 3:00 in the afternoon (12th), I went ahead and got my epidural. I didnít get it because of the contraction pain, but more because I was so worried that something would happen to Zoe and we would need an emergency section and they would have to waste precious time trying to sedate me. So, I made the choice to go ahead with it, hoping that being able to relax would help my body to open more. After 10-15 needle sticks (no exaggeration) in the back, I finally got the epidural. They literally bent needles going into my back. It was so painful. The nurse anesthetist finally had the actual anesthesiologist do it, and she got it the first try. Thank God. Even with the epidural I was still having pain with my bladder catheter and every time they checked my cervix. I wasnít numb in that area for some reason. They had to top up the medication and sit me upright in hopes that it would help. The doctor and nurses had warned us that 7:30 pm on the 12th would be decision time because my water had been broken for 24 hours at that point and I was not progressing enough to continue. That time rolled around and the doctor came into my room. We discussed all of the options and ultimately decided that a C-section was needed to keep everyone safe and healthy. My temp had gone up to 99.8 at that point, so the risk for infection was also a concern. They started to prep me for surgery and my anxiety basically took over. I shook like a leaf from the time the decision was made until well after I got to the OR. Everything seemed to move so quickly, and all I could do was pray for God to get me and Zoe through this unscathed. I puked 4 times at the beginning of surgery either from nerves or pressure; quite possibly both. I managed to hold it together until Zoe came out. I was worried until I heard her cry. Russ had left my side to go and take photos of her, etc. He came back and told me they were taking her on to the nursery. I didnít learn until after surgery that her Apgar scores were 3 and 8. Certainly not where we wanted them to be. Anyway, Russ came back over to sit with me. At that point, I started to feel pain and I was quite vocal about it. The doctor told me the next day that as soon as he went back in and touched my uterus that I lost it. So, they started giving me more drugs. Turns out I was given Ketamine and Versed. Let me just say, I have NO idea why someone would want to use these drugs for fun. I thought I was dying. The last thing I remember myself saying to the anesthesiologist is I canít breathe and I canít see. I couldnít speak again until it was over. I had this really weird dream or hallucination about being in a hospital made of Legos. It was bizarre. I finally became lucid when they started to finish and moved me from the OR table to a regular bed. However, I still could not focus my eyes and I felt like my tongue was thick so I was having trouble talking. I went back to the L&D floor and stayed there for the night because I needed to be watched more closely than they could do it in a post partum room. After I came back to reality I wanted to know where Zoe was and everyone told me she should be up in an hour or so. Long story short, she wasnít. I didnít get to see or hold her that night. As it turns out, Zoe had a 100 degree fever when she was born. That automatically sent her to the NICU. They ran blood work and her numbers were wonky indicating that there could be an infection. So, they kept her for 2 days while they waited to see if the blood cultures grew anything. Thankfully they never did, and she was able to come to my room after 48 hours in the NICU. We both ended up staying 3 days after delivery. Quite possibly the funniest part of this labor/delivery story isnít something I even remember! I had signed a consent form over 5 months ago to have my tubes tied should I have to have a C-section for whatever reason. To be honest, it was a formality, because we honestly expected to have another vaginal delivery. Anyway, I walked around with that consent form signed and in my purse for months per my drís office instructions. I also put it into my hospital bag. Well, as the section was coming to a close, Russ asked about the tubal ligation. The doctor was like what tubal? Russ explained I wanted it done and had signed the consent form many months ago and the nurse at the drís office had scheduled a section + tubal when she booked us into the hospital. The doctor said he could not break scrub to go and find out and Russ told them that the consent form was in my hospital bag. Of course, they couldnít ask me because I was completely unaware. The charge nurse ran out of the OR, back to my room and dumped my bag looking for the form. She found it and came back. The doctor was not happy, but he did the tubal. So much drama! Iím glad itís done though because if I had been asked at the time I probably would have just said leave me alone. Fortunately, it is now taken care of and this baby shop is closed for business!

Zoe Kate born via C-section on Sunday, February 12th at 8:22 pm. She weighed 7lbs., 14 oz. and was 20 inches long.

Last edited by momtomonkeys; February 16th, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
February 17th, 2012, 03:00 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 2,901
Oh wow, what an ordeal! You went through a lot, but I'm glad you both came through it okay. How is little miss Zoe now?
Reply With Quote
February 17th, 2012, 05:17 PM
momtomonkeys's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Posts: 658
Originally Posted by JTsquared View Post
Oh wow, what an ordeal! You went through a lot, but I'm glad you both came through it okay. How is little miss Zoe now?
She's just fine Julie! All of her bllodwork and cultures came back fine at the 48 hour mark, so she was able to come to me that night. We both went home the next day.
Reply With Quote
February 17th, 2012, 05:23 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,473
What a roller coaster for you! So glad all is well now and you are both at home. Yay. Congrats again and well done mumma!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0