Log In Sign Up

Baby Tatum's Birth Story! (Long and detailed)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kdrew88

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2012, 10:27 PM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,471
I went to my normal doc appointment on Friday at 8:15. I was 38 weeks and 3 days along. The u/s check was doing my growth scan to estimate size. She told me that at my last visit my fluid levels were low but they were a 10 so the doc probably didn't even mention it. Well, during the u/s she had a hard time finding pockets of fluid to measure at all. She said, "you may be having this baby sooner than you thought." Then I went back to the waiting room for a few minutes before seeing the doc. I was texting my husband...uh...we may be having a baby today (he was at work).

When my doc called me back she said, "Are you ready to have a baby today?" I'm like...um, I guess so! I already had my bags in my car, just in case, so she told me to head on over to the hospital and she would meet me there in a little while. At this point I considered eating something because I only had 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast. But, I was excited and nervous to be induced so I just went to the hospital. I took my time, found a good parking spot, had already texted my husband to get our computer and a few last minute things from home and then head over. I went in, used the restroom since I didn't want to do that during labor (LOL), and then realized I left my bag in the car so I went out to get it and calmy walked back in to check in. I saw someone's hubby doing the mad dash with the bags and was cracking up. It felt so odd just to stroll on in and say I was having a baby.

The hospital was super busy (weather change with pressure drop and a full moon) so they told me which room I would be in and said to head on in but it would probably be 20-30 minutes before they could get to me. This was around 10am I think. At that point I went ahead and ate a small breakfast bar I had in my purse since I knew it was going to be a LONG day with no food. I waited for hubby to get there and then I got changed into my gown. They hooked me up to monitor my blood pressure, pulse, contractions, etc. and to monitor the baby. I was having regular contractions about 4-6 minutes apart but I couldn't feel them. The doc was originally going to give my cytotec to ripen the cervix (I think I was about 50-60% effaced) but once she saw I was having contractions on my own she changed her mind and decided on pitocin instead. I was glad because I wasn't sure if I should requested cervadil instead of the cytotec and I didn't have to decide since she changed the plan.

The nurse took two tries to get my IV in so I have this nice huge bruise on one arm and ended up getting it in my right hand instead. They started pitocin around 1:30 pm. I could feel the contractions but they weren't unbearable so I just labored with no meds for quite a while. The doc came in around 3:30and checked me and I think I was dilated to a 2 or 3 at that point. About 15 minutes later I thought I felt something dripping but I thought it may just be the 'goo' from when she checked me. I didn't want to call the nurse for a false alarm. But, I felt more drips so I went ahead and pushed the nurse button and said "I think my water broke". She came in with the swab and once she swabbed me (ouch!) she was about to test the fluid since she wasn't sure if it broke or not, then there was a big gush! Yep, it broke on it's own!

At 5ish I was dilated to a 3, 70% effaced, and -2 station. I got the epidural around 7:00pm. It felt kindof pointless to sit around in pain since I was already on pitocin and the thought of 'going natural' was already a bit ruined by the induction. I wasn't necessarily planning on going natural, I just planned to go with the flow and see how everything went. 7:15 pm I was 4 cm dilated, 80% effaced, and -2 station. At 11:00 pm I was 9 cm dilated, 100% effaced. The nurse started prepping the room for delivery and we thought it wouldn't be long after that. We were wrong! They checked me again around 1:20 am and I still had a 'lip' of cervix that was there. They had me change positions and sit up some so that gravity could help things along. At 2:48 am I still wasn't full dilated.

I think another hour after that I was finally ready to push. The details get a little fuzzy here but I'll try my best. I pushed intensely for 1 hour and 45 minutes. First on my back, and then later on my side to try to get the baby's head past my pelvic bone. The nurse kept saying I was pushing great, everything looked perfect, etc. but the baby's head just was not descending. I could feel INTENSE pressure during each contraction but I was ok with that since I definitely knew when to push. I started getting frustrated that nothing was happening and asked for the doc to come in. She washed me push and said everything looked great and I was doing it just right. She said she wasn't convinced that after another hour or two of pushing that we still wouldn't end up with a c-section. At this point the contractions/pressure was getting more and more painful. I'm not sure if the epi was wearing off or what. I decided to go ahead with the c-section since we weren't seeing any results whatsoever with the pushing and I didn't want to keep putting the baby through that (nor myself).

Was preppred for a c-section and baby came at 7:14 am. It seemed like they took a while to prep the room so I felt the need to continue pushing through the contractions to alleviate the pain/pressure a bit. Doc said if I have the baby vaginally while they are preppint that would be ok, LOL! So all in all it was probably closer to 2.5 hrs of pushing although once I knew I was having a c-section they weren't all out pushes, just enough to deal with the pressure/pain.

After the c-section they said I made the right choice. She was lodged in sideways, was NOT gonna come out that way. Her head was red and swollen with an abrasion and 2 bumps, bruised ear, bruised nose. It made me so sad. But it's all clearing up now.

They took the baby to the nursery for her bath and exam and I went to post op. My arms were super numb so I knew I wouldn't be able to hold baby for a bit. I was really out of it too from the meds. Well, our pediatrician showed up at the nursery to do her evaluation as well so it took forever to get baby back! I really wanted to nurse within the first 2 hours but it ended up being closer to 3. She was a champ and latched right on though, so that was good.

Our hospital stay went great. She was pretty much an angel baby who ate and slept perfectly and really only cried when she needed something. She was overall easy to soothe when she did cry. I am so grateful because the c-section was harder to recover from than I thought. I was SO hard to get out of the bed!!

They took my staples out this morning which was super painful. I was so mad because I had asked several of the nurses and doctors if it would hurt and they said not. I would have made sure to have some pain medicine in me if I knew how hard it would have hurt! But, it's over now, we are home, and completely in love with baby girl! I am feeling better and better each day and my milk came in this evening...woohoo!
JesSsica likes this.

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long
Reply With Quote
March 14th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Beeker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 990
Congrats Kelly! She is beautiful.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!!
Reply With Quote
March 15th, 2012, 09:34 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,635
Congrats!! I'm surprised getting your staples out hurt. I was concerned about that with my first, but I barely felt them coming out. Maybe I had just had a dose of painkillers. Sorry it was so painful to you!
~Whitney mommy to Zoe 9/26/08 and Zachary 3/2/12~

Reply With Quote
March 27th, 2012, 08:04 PM
chapsgirl07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 1,785
Thanks for sharing your story! Glad everything turned out ok. She is soooo cute!!

Reply With Quote
March 30th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,029
Wow, sideways! no wonder she couldnt get out. I'm glad it all turned out ok. She is sooo sweet!I love that pic of her
Jodie (me)
John dh
Samantha age 5 born October 18, 2007
Johnny age 4 born October 8, 2008
SHANE IS HERE!! Born March 1, 2012

Breastfeeding for 8 months now!!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0