Log In Sign Up

David Robert's Easy Delivery!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2012, 09:21 AM
chapsgirl07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 1,785
David Robert's Birth Story

On Monday March 12th I went into my OB office and was dilated to 2cm. My doc did a stretch and sweep hoping that it would 'stir things up' and start some contractions. We made another appointment for Tuesday morning. I waited for contractions to start all day and walked, but nothing. Tuesday morning we repeated the same thing in the office, but now the OB was able to stretch me from 3-4cm. The baby was still really high though. Sooo....we scheduled another appointment for first this Wednesday morning. Again, nothing happened. Not a single contraction. Stubborn child! On Wednesday morning I went back to my OB and he checked again. This time I was still at a 3-4cm, but the baby was a little lower. He told me to go into Labor and Delivery at 6am Thursday morning because 'I had been having contractions all night' *wink wink*. DH and I went about our day as normal and wrapped up stuff at work (we own a business) so that all the paperwork and employees were squared away for the next few days. We took our older son, Dominic, out to dinner at his favorite restaurant and told him that we would be getting his baby brother out tomorrow. He was very excited! We dropped him off at my IL's to spend the next 2 nights with them. After we dropped him off, we stopped by work again because DH had to finish something. Finally, at 9:30pm we went home. That's when DH tells me that his grandmother is in the hospital (the same one that we would be going to the next morning) and unloads all of this crazy family drama on my head. He was all wound up and upset about it. I told him that I would love to be supportive of the situation, but there is nothing we can do about it and I AM HAVING A BABY IN THE MORNING!!! I went to take a long, hot shower to decompress and get my head back on straight so that I would be able to focus on my upcoming labor and sleep.

Thursday March 15th at 6:00am we arrived at the hospital and I walked into labor and delivery to tell them that I was having contractions and wanted to be checked. They looked at me kind of funny as I was clearly not in pain. I filled out the paperwork and answered the questions, then I was walked back to a room where I was hooked to monitors. After a half hour, the nurse cam back and looked at the print outs and told me that I wasn't having contractions. (duh - I knew that) She checked me and told me that I was 3-4cm and would call my doctor to see what he wanted to do. I looked at her and told her that he would say to admit me. At this point she knew what we were doing. :-)

Surprise, surprise. I got admitted to the hospital and sent up to the delivery suites. I met my nurses and they were really sweet!! I psyched one of them out when I told her my horror story of getting an IV a while back, and she couldn't get my vein...ugh! She didn't even try to stick me a second time. She went to get the other nurse. That nurse couldn't get me either!! OWWIE!! Finally, a third nurse came in and got the IV in. (that was probably the worst part of the whole day). They drew all the blood for the cord blood kit and for what the hospital needed.

At 7:45, my OB came in to check me and he broke my water. I was still 3-4cm and the baby was at -3. He told me to walk the halls. After I was monitored for a little bit (to make sure the baby was tolerating my water being broken) I started to walk. At 8:45ish I started to have some mild contractions. So....we kept walking. During this time, DH ordered lunch for the nurses on the floor.

At lunch time (12:30ish) My OB came back to check on me. I was 4-5cm, but the baby had dropped into position and was at a +1. I was contracting regularly on my own so he said that I wouldn't need any pitocin!! I had the nurse order the epidural even though I didn't *need* it at that second. There was only one person assigned to the delivery floors and he was in a c-section and there was another lady ahead of me. At this point, I shortened my walking to just around the nursing station. The contractions were coming regularly (I would get to the same spot in the hallway each time). I would lean against the wall and breath through the contraction. Finally, I went back to my room. I was still waiting for the epidural and no longer wanted to walk. The nurse came in to ask if I wanted some pain meds while I waited. YES! I took a 1/2 dose through the IV. That knocked me for a loop as I'm not great with pain meds. At 1:45pm, a woman came in to do the epidural. I sent everyone out of the room except my mom (DH passed out cold for 30-45 seconds with my first delivery when I got the epidural!! LOL). I was pretty loopy from the pain meds, so mom helped me stay upright as they numbed the area.

From here it was smooth sailing! No pain, just waiting.

At 4:00pm I started to feel quite a bit of pressure. I had the nurse come in a check me. I was at 9 1/2 cm. She went to put a call into the doctor to come. My mom put in a prediction that the baby would be out before 5...the nurse leaned over and said "no way" into my ear. We had developed a good relationship and were joking back and forth all day mostly about teasing my mom (good natured fun). Well, the OB was on his way anyway because he had finished his office hours. At 4:05ish I knew something felt different and my body was starting to push without me trying. I called the nurses' station. They called me back and asked what I needed. I said "I need someone to catch!!" LOL At this point my mom, dad, sister and DH were in the room. DH had been on the phone with one of our employees with a work issue for the past 40 minutes. I said Chris - It's time to have a baby - GET OFF THE PHONE!! My dad was looking down the hallway waiting for my OB to come to the floor. Meanwhile I was breathing through the contractions and my body kept pushing.

My doctor walked in, gloved up, and we put my legs in the stirups. Mom and sister held my legs and I pushed. One time....waited for the next 'feeling'....someone mentioned food and we laughed about me being sooo hungry.....Pushed a second time.....ooohhh a head!.....waited again...the nurse commented on my sister's watch....I said "are we really discussing a watch right now?" which made everyone laugh....pushed a third time....HOLY RING OF FIRE!!...The contraction went away, but I kept pushing for the 4th set and out came baby! 7 minutes of pushing!! He put the baby right up on my chest and I looked at my son for the first time. I wish I could say I felt an instant connection, but I didn't. With my first son, I could see my family traits in him immediately...but this time, I didn't recognize his face. That kinda freaked me out. If they would have shown me that baby without having just pulled him from me, I would have never thought he was mine.

They took the baby for measurements (7lbs 11oz and 20 inches born at 4:20pm) and to clean him up while the OB cleaned me up and took care of the cord blood stuff. Within seconds of my legs being closed and covered, my grandparents were in the door looking at the baby. LOL I love my crazy family. They couldn't wait to see their new great-grandson, and I couldn't wait to eat!! They only stayed for a few minutes so that I could feed the baby while I had a snack, too. He immediately latched on and started eating! It was a perfect latch. All my worries about breast feeding again were gone in that moment.

We got cleaned up and transferred up to the recovery floor pretty quickly. I had my ILs bring my son up that evening to meet his baby brother. While they were there, I realized that I had to pee, but held it for a few minutes too long. I had everyone get out and I went to go to take the few steps to the bathroom and as I was walking, tons of blood pours out of me. When I sat on the toilet I felt a HUGE clot come out and it made me dizzy. I called for my mom (she was a nurse) and she called for the nurses. They helped me clean up. Then I was told not to get out of bed without them present so that they could help me. I was a little nervous and scared that something had happened....turns out that I just waited too long to pee and that made my bladder block off my uterus so that it couldn't continue contracting down and getting the blood out at a regular pace. So...lesson learned...when you need to pee - GO!!

My favorite part of the day was when my son, Dominic, came in and met the baby brother we had been talking about for the past few months. He was instantly in love and amazed by the little squirmy baby. His face was so cute!! The brotherly love was instant.

We were released from the hospital the next day - well - we forced the pediatrician to let us go. David was perfectly pink, eating like a champ, and very healthy. There was no reason for us to waste another day in the hospital....especially with no maternity insurance! He let us go with a promise to make an appointment first thing Monday morning to have the baby checked again.

It was a great day with a healthy baby and healthy mommy. I was very proud of my body for finally working correctly!! I swear I would have a million more babies if I didn't have to go through the hell of the first trimester sickness. It was so bad for both pregnancies. DH is scheduling his V....so this is my last birthday story. I am blessed with 2 healthy sons and a wonderful husband. I feel so rich and complete with that. I can't imagine rolling the dice again.

Reply With Quote
March 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easley, SC
Posts: 9,302
I feel like I lived this with you

EXCEPT....you didn't tell me about the ring of fire even with the epidural....NOOOOOO!!!! I don't want to feel that again dangit! LOL!

I love that our kids are the same age so knowing how Dom is with his brother makes me anxious to see how Colin will do with his!

Reply With Quote
March 27th, 2012, 11:44 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,635
Aw, congrats! I'm glad you had such a great birth experience!
~Whitney mommy to Zoe 9/26/08 and Zachary 3/2/12~

Reply With Quote
March 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,029
What a great birth story! I'm so glad everything went well. Like you, I was really happy my body finally did what it was supposed to do. After having to be induced twice I wasn't too optimistic that this baby would come on his own but he did.

Glad everything went so smoothly for you and congrats!!
Jodie (me)
John dh
Samantha age 5 born October 18, 2007
Johnny age 4 born October 8, 2008
SHANE IS HERE!! Born March 1, 2012

Breastfeeding for 8 months now!!

Reply With Quote
March 27th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ulysses, NE
Posts: 8,341
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Congrats what a great birth story!
Rachael wife to Shaun, mommy to Jarrett (11) Serenity (3) and Beauden (born 3/3/12) stepmom to Kamryn (9)
Reply With Quote
April 7th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easley, SC
Posts: 9,302
Oh, I just wanted to add that because of you, I did NOT feel the ring of fire because I asked for that shot in my perineum (think that's what it's called....LOL) and I never felt it....woo hoo

Reply With Quote
April 8th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Beeker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 990
aww that is great Laura!!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!!
Reply With Quote
April 12th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 5,724
What a great story! It's amazing what breaking your water can do.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0