Log In Sign Up

Abigail's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Mamma J

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Mamma J's Avatar Proud Navy Wife & SAHM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kingsland, GA
Posts: 2,270
So....Abigail Maria-Jane was born April 22, 2012 at 11:26 pm It was a completely unexpected and such a whirlwind experience. Thank goodness I had everything packed up and ready to go because I still can't believe what happened.

I turned 37 weeks on the 19th of April, but I was in no means trying to go into labor...I still wanted baby girl to bake for a bit. However, I do admit, I was secretly hoping she'd be here around my birthday on the 28th so that we could share April birthdays. Anyway, I was feeling fine, not having many contractions at all compared to when I was 34 weeks. On Sunday (the 22nd), Aidan begged us to go bowling and I thought it sounded like a good idea. I hadn't been in forever, and I was feeling good. So we went bowling...big mistake. I don't know what I was thinking trying to sling a 12 lb ball down the lane while 37 weeks pregnant. I'm lucky I didn't keel over right then and there lol. Ultimately, I played by rolling the ball granny style between my legs, down the lane. It didn't hurt and it was relatively easy once I switched to a 6lb ball, so I didn't think it would be a big deal. Even still, I played only one game and because I didn't want to risk it by playing more than 10 frames.

After bowling I felt OK....I was so sore (round ligament and pelvic pain) from trying to throw the ball it was hard to walk. But still, no real contractions....at least not any that were consistent. I'd have a long one here and there, but they were maybe one every hour, if that. We decided to go out to dinner. On the way to the restaurant I started to feel weird. My contractions changed....I thought I was just feeling crampy, but when I placed my hand on my belly I realized it was hard and they were contractions. But I couldn't tell when they started or stopped because the crampy feeling stayed while the hardness came and went. Eventually the crampiness went away and I didn't think anything of it.

I get through dinner no problem and we make it home. At this point I can hardly walk because it felt like someone shattered my pelvis with a sledge hammer. I lay on the floor of the living room on my side so DH can massage my lower back, which helped to relax me. It was about 9:15pm when I rolled over to my back to talk to my mom who was sitting on the couch behind me. Right then, Abby moved in such a way that I actually screamed out loud. It almost felt like she popped something out of place. It took me a good 20 minutes or so to work through the pain and be able to get up off the floor. When I did, I was hurting everywhere in my pelvis, so I dropped to all fours to try and rock her into a position that I could stand being in. Not two seconds later I feel a tiny gush....not sure if it was just plain discharge or pee. So I made my way to the bathroom, and as soon as I sit on the toilet, I hear it go into the bowl. I looked, and it didn't look like pee it had a slightly pinkish hue to it, so I had DH call my doctor's answering service and leave a message. I put a pad on to see if it would get wet, made my way to the living room and sat on the couch. That's when all heck broke loose lol.

The doctor called back and said I needed to go to the hospital, it sounded like my water had broken. OK no problem. But when I stood up off the couch the rest of it broke. Then the contractions started coming very quick and extremely intense. I had 3 episodes of gushing fluid before I could find clean clothes to change into. My mom and DH were scrambling to find someone to watch over Aidan who was already sleeping. For some reason none of my friends were answering their phones, so DH runs out and grabs my neighbor to stay at the house while we find someone to come stay the night. I finally get a hold to one of my friends who we had previously asked to stay the night should this exact scenario happen. At this point it's maybe 30 minutes after my water broke initially, and I'm almost screaming from the pain of the contractions. They were on top of each other and lasting so long I couldn't walk. And to make matters worse I couldn't sit because I had such hardcore pressure on my bottom I couldn't stand it. As previously planned, I'm supposed to drive 45 minutes to the hospital for a VBAC. But, both DH and I are freaking out because I keep feeling like I'm about to take the biggest crap of my life....neither of us are sure we are going to make it down to Jacksonville in time. So, I make a quick change of plans and I tell him to take me to the closest hospital, both of us knowing they do not allow for a VBAC. He asks me if I'm certain that's what I want, and I'm hesitant for a minute. But then the next contraction hits and the pain is enough to make me worry about getting to the hospital in time, so I tell him to just hurry and get me to the closest hospital.

We get there in five minutes, and I'm in so much pain I can't move. I'm bracing myself up on the door and the center console because I can't sit in the seat because of all the pressure going on down below. It's one contraction after another, right on top of each other, and I get a slight break so that DH can get me into a wheelchair to take me up to labor and delivery. Once there, the nurse checks me and says my water has definitely broken, and I'm only 4 cm. I don't know where the baby was (position wise), I wasn't even hearing her say this because I was trying to breathe through a contraction, DH told me later that's what she said. They hook me up to the monitor, and sure enough, the contractions are like 3 minutes long and sitting right on top of each other. At this point I'm already exhausted trying to breathe through these horrible contractions where I can't get a break in between. DH asks me if I'm sure I want them to do a c-section. I tell him if it means the pain goes away then yes...there was no way I thought I was going to be able to wait on an ambulance to take me to Jacksonville, and with the contractions being so long/close I was terrified I'd end up giving birth in the ambulance on the way there.

The nurses and doctors all assembled quickly because they were concerned about the frequency of my contractions. Unfortunately I had to tough them out while they got a bag of IV fluids with antibiotics into my system to keep my BP up and to treat the group B strep. THe whole team was literally waiting on me, and the nurse was squeezing the IV bag trying to get it into my system quicker. Once that was done, they wheeled me back into the OR, gave me the spinal block, and set everything up. After DH came in, everything went by so quick...I didn't even know she was out until I heard her crying! After that everything becomes blurry. I was getting nauseous because I had eaten just before my water broke so the meds they gave me for that made me woozy. And I wasn't reacting well to the spinal, I was shaking uncontrollably, so he gave me something for that as well.

I do remember them wheeling me into recovery where Abby and DH were waiting. Abby's blood sugar was way low, but the shakes from the spinal had returned and I was so out of it, I thought I'd drop her if I held her. So the nurse and DH worked together to have her latch and feed for a few minutes. At some point they wheeled me back into my L&D room where my mom was waiting. Everyone took turns holding her, except me because I was shaking so bad....it was like I had no control of my upper body. Everyone left, and DH ended up feeding her some formula because her blood sugar was still low. They put me on oxygen and gave me a shot of benadryl to try and get the shakes to subside. We all fell asleep for the night. I finally got to hold her at like 5 am when the shakes finally stopped. It was love at first sight I was clear headed and finally got a good look at her...she looks so much like Aidan it amazes me! She's also the tiniest peanut...she weighed 6 lbs 13 oz and was 19.5 inches long.

So far, she's a good baby. It's crazy the kind of confidence you have when you're doing it all for the second time. With Aidan I was a nervous wreck...I couldn't relax for like the first few months. But now, with Abby, DH and I were talking about how much easier it is this time around. The hospital stay was so relaxed and easygoing, I honestly didn't mind staying. The only thing that bothered me was spending the time away from Aidan. Luckily, she did so well and I was up and moving on the first day, they let us go home a whole day early

Now being home with Aidan and Abby, I'm very happy. Aidan is definitely adjusting, but having my mom here helps. I have to admit, it was so unexpected, I wasn't ready to be done being pregnant yet! I know I was huge and miserable (physically), but I already miss my belly and being pregnant. Even with those feelings, I'm doing better than I was after I had Aidan. The baby blues hit me hard and fast, it was hard to enjoy the first few days I had with him. And even though her birth and the entire experience wasn't what I planned on, I'm OK with it and I don't have any regrets. She's so worth everything....and my family is finally complete

Reply With Quote
April 25th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 19,074
She's born on my birthday! Sounds like the birth went well and I'm glad you are recovering from the c/s well! Congrats again!

Reply With Quote
April 25th, 2012, 07:16 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York State
Posts: 3,210
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
yay Im glad everything turned out so well even though it wasn't how you planned.

Reply With Quote
April 25th, 2012, 07:42 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 11,295
What a fast story! Glad all is well and your pleased with everything!!!
Ethan Michael 6*13*2000, Toryn Elizabeth 6*18*04, Julian Alexander 2*8*08, Jaxson Lea 5*4*12
Married to my best friend since 3*26*12
Reply With Quote
April 25th, 2012, 09:01 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,393
What a crazy but wonderful story!! Sounds like we need to add "bowling" to the list of ways to induce labor.

I think you totally made the right decision, BTW -- good lord, I cannot even imagine getting into an ambulance for a 45 minute ride while having those contractions. Of course, I'd say "you totally made the right decision" no matter what you chose.

Reply With Quote
April 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 728
And so you made lemonade out of lemons! Congratulations! Abby is super cute! Enjoy your family!
Reply With Quote
April 26th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,376
Congratulations!! You have a beautiful little girl!!

Reply With Quote
April 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,464
wow that is a crazy whirl wind with a good end
Reply With Quote
April 27th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,707
oh boy, what an exciting birth story! Glad everything turned out okay.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote
April 30th, 2012, 07:57 AM
mamaleddie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,049
What a whirlwind!! She's just precious...glad everything turned out wonderful dear!
LeddieAndAaron~39, 29
Sicily Rae~7
Yasmine Joanne~5
Aaron Michael Junior~ONE!!!! Adalyn Marie-Morrison has arrived! 11/25/2013! 34 weeks..doing well!
Reply With Quote
May 11th, 2012, 12:52 PM
alilangel7's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,535
So happy everything worked out even though it didn't Go as planned. . She's a beauty!

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my beautiful siggy!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0