Log In Sign Up

Benedict's Birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2012, 09:39 PM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,300
Alright I am finally going to write my labor story.

On Friday the 27th I was having consistent contractions that tapered off during the night. I woke up Sunday morning at 12:45am and felt a gush of warm water. I waited for a second and another gush..I knew at that point my water broke. I woke up my husband and ran to the bathroom. Thankfully the giant gush waited until I was on the toliet! Dh started running around getting together the last minute items for the bag and I called the doctor to let him know we would be going to the hospital. I remembered what the other ladies had said about taking your time and showering so I did that. I didn't have any contractions really until I got to the hospital and even then they were not very strong.

They checked us into our room at the hospital around 2 am and I was about 1 1/2 cm dialated and 80% effaced. We waited for several hours for something to happen and I only went up to about 2 to 2 1/2 cm. Finally around 7am they had me get up and walk to see if we could get things started. The contractions were starting to get stronger but walking still didn't bring on the big ones. I decided to allow them to go ahead with a low dose of Pitocen to try and speed things up. It didn't take long for the contractions to kick in. I was so determined to wait till I really needed the epidural before getting it. I tried several different positions to deal with the pain and found sitting straight up in the bed with my legs crossed indian style was the most bearable. The pain was getting pretty intense and I asked for the epidural but the nurse encouraged me to wait abit longer. Honestly that was a good thing, but also a bad thing! I waited and finally got to the point where I couldn't relax enough to even breath through the contractions. It was more a mental thing than physical...so I begged them for the epidural.

The epidural was a bit more of a shock than I expected it would be. The actual shot was no big deal but having to sit still while experiencing painful contractions was torture! Also the medicine went into one side and sent lightening down my leg which freaked me out. I was already in tears at this point and when that happened I just broke down crying. Once they were done they had to lay me down because I was about to pass out from it all. That all be done, once the meds kicked in it was like heaven! I was so relaxed. They checked me and I was 5 cms at that point.

I dialated quickly after that until 9 cms and then got stuck. I stayed at 9 for hours and they kept upping the pitocen dose to get me to 10cm. They had to finish breaking my water but none of it seemed to help. Finally around 7:30pm the new shift came in and the nurses felt like I could start pushing. I pushed for 3 hrs and he wouldn't budge.

The doctor started to get worried and left for a bit to "clear his head" and I think he was going to get advice from his more experience partner. He came back and basically gave me the options of foreceps or a C-section. It was terribly hard for me to choose at this point because I was exhausted and felt really spacey. They would not give me oxegen because I was on pitocen so I had to try and just deal with it. My husband and I decided to go with foreceps because I really wanted to avoid the c-section scarring and what not. I still feel okay with our decision but I do regret not knowing how much stress it would put on the baby.

The doctor suited up and about 8 nurses came into the room. They warned us that they may have to recitate the baby when he came out and not to be alarmed ( yeah right!). I thought the delivery would be quick but it took a long time! The doctor was able to turn him and get things moving but he was really reluctant to come out. It was so scary! I just layed there in a daze at this point and listened to baby's heart rate come SOOOO close to stopping over and over on the monitor. I could see the doctor was concerned and I was so terrified I would hear it totally stop. The doctor had to keep reaching and rubbing him to get his rate back to a safe pace.

I don't know how long it took but finally he came out and they layed him on my chest. It was 10:58pm and I had been in labor for almost 23 hrs! I cryed from sheer exhaustion and relief when he started crying. They did not need to recitate him after all and he seemed fine. He had head swelling, and bruising from the foreceps as well as where he was pushing against my bone. Poor little guy! He weighed 6 pounds 12 oz and was 20 inches long.

It took almost 3 hrs for the doctors to stitch me up because the tearing was inside and hard to reach. The epidural wore off and I was in so much pain! They finally decided to give me another dose of meds to deal with the pain and I got relief. It was hours before I finally got to just rest and hold my baby for a time. I felt so robbed of those important initial hours I wanted with him but it couldn't be helped.

I had a hard time getting him to nurse when I finally got to try and I think it was because he was worn out and his little face was sore. The lactation consultants were great at encouraging me...but as we learned later he wasn't getting enough. The day after we brought him home he was in the NICU for jaundice and dehydration. DH and I were soo tired and so torn because we couldnt really hold him and all those precious hours of bonding were lost...but we knew it could be a lot worse too.

Benedict Joseph is doing well now and nursing is still a challenge but getting better. The healing has been slow for me and I ended up with a uteron infection but it seems I am now on the mend and feeling much better. It was a very difficult and scary experience...not the birth I planned...but he is worth every bit of it! I would do again in a heartbeat for him!!
"That special power of loving that belongs to a woman is seen most clearly when she becomes a mother. Motherhood is the gift of God to women". - Mother Teresa.

Last edited by BeccaMenk; May 9th, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
May 10th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,376
Aw, I'm sorry you & Benedict didn't get the labor/delivery you wanted!! Congratulations on a precious little boy though!!!

Reply With Quote
May 10th, 2012, 08:31 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 669
Sorry you had such a rough delivery. Glad to hear you are both doing well now! Congratulations!
Mommy to Jake (2009) and Jax (2012)

Reply With Quote
May 10th, 2012, 09:32 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,195
How scary! glad you both are doing well, congrats!

Reply With Quote
May 10th, 2012, 10:29 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,299
Sorry your delivery was so hard I'm glad he's here and you're both okay now.

Reply With Quote
May 10th, 2012, 05:24 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 11,295
I am so sorry it was such a rough time. Thankfully everyone is doing well. I wish you a speedy recovery!
Ethan Michael 6*13*2000, Toryn Elizabeth 6*18*04, Julian Alexander 2*8*08, Jaxson Lea 5*4*12
Married to my best friend since 3*26*12
Reply With Quote
May 11th, 2012, 11:27 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,966
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Oh sorry you had a hard delivery

Congrats and I hope you heal quickly now.

Reply With Quote
May 12th, 2012, 12:25 AM
alilangel7's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,535
The tearing inside and the stitches sounded like the delivery with my daughter. I didn't get that bonding time either and it was like three hours before I got to hold her. Even with all that, she still nursed pretty well after some practice and we have a great bond. . Hope you heal quickly and without any more pains.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my beautiful siggy!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0