Log In Sign Up

Jaxson's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2012, 08:22 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 11,295
This is by far my most dramatic birth, but also my favorite. I could not of asked for a better birth experience and wish I had gone the MW route a long time ago. It was defiantly worth the drive.

On Thursday May 3rd it was ridicuously hot for Ohio in May. It was in the 80s and my pregnant body hated it. We were in town running errands and I felt fine. Around noon I started having contractions. I didn't think too much of it...I mean it had been happening for weeks. I started timing them anyways, since as of Tuesday I was 4cm and 80%. They were 5 min apart. Meh, I thought, they will stop. I watched them all afternoon.

As soon as we got home I was covered in sweat and took a shower to cool down and to see if these went away. I felt better heat wise, but they contractions didn't leave. They didn't seem as bothersome, but were still there. I was quite annoyed by Mike as they had already been going on for 2 hours and he was out back fixing a darn tractor and covered in grease. We also had a trailer we had to return that night. We get the kids from school and he showers and we head into town to return the trailer. I decided I wanted to eat out and wasn't cooking. I went for as spicy as I could handle and did Taco Bell.

We got home and I sat and timed. Still 5 min apart, intensity was increasing, but time apart stayed the same.

Around 830, I put the kids to bed. I sat down and was hit with a much stronger one. It stopped me from what I was doing. I waited, sure enough..5 min later again. I live an hour from the hospital and have SUPER QUICK labors (last was 3 hours) so I said OK, we are going. At 845 I called my MW and she agreed to come in.

We were loaded and out of the house in less than 10 min (although he forgot his car seat lol!). Met up with my friend for her to take my kids to my mom and hit the highway.

Right after we got on we hit traffic...then we realized why. Construction. Next thing you know we weren't moving at all. My contractions were worse, but nothing I couldn't work thru. Heck, I was still texting and playing on facebook. While stopped the truck started acting like it was going to die. I did panic then!

Finally out of traffic, we should've been to the hospital by now, but because of the construction we were still 25 min away. I was actually texting and got hit with one and during it I threw my phone and felt a pop. A few seconds later...a gush. This was it! It really was!! I called my MW and she said she would have us sent straight to a delivery room and skip triage.

We make it to the hospital and I am soaked, I kept gushing the whole time. I had on grey shorts and had to walk in, I felt so stupid lol. We make it up to L&D and get stuck at registration. We had already registered but they had a new system and had 2 women there trying to figure everything out. Mike got a lil crappy with them, then when I had a contraction (still 5 min apart) they sped up the process.

Somehow I still got put into triage. When I got in, I had another gush. Then is when I seen the meconium. The nurse came in. She wanted to check me and I refused it and told her to contact my MW. She said I couldn't go to L&D until she did, I told her she couldn't touch me until she talked to my MW. Next thing I know I am being wheeled into L&D room.

My MW walks in (this is around 10:40) and checks me. I am 5cm. We quickly go over my birthplan again and then she gives me the bad news. Because of the meconium I had to stay monitored. I wasn't too upset and knew I could still move around, just not as easily. They started my IV for my antibiotics.

The contractions were very strong and painful at this point. She was amazing at getting me thru them and helping me to slow my breathing. Mike was pretty quiet. I didn't want touched, and that included having the hospital gown on. I had a sports type bra on and I was content with that. I had Mike check to see where my sister and SIL were, they were outside. The stupid people still had me in at triage and wouldn't let them in. My MW called and they were back pretty quickly. My sister hated seeing me in pain and it was driving her nuts that I was going natural, but she wouldn't say anything.

I was laying in bed and the pain was intense, I was so weak and needed help to move. She wanted me to sit up, that hurt. So, she got a birthing ball. Ohhhhh the releif. It was simply amazingggggg! I was able to sway thru the contractions. Bad news, the fetal heart monitor couldn't pick up Jax on it. She tried having me stand, the pressure and my weakness was to much. We tried all 4s facing the top of the bed, same thing. Back to my back I go.

Around 11:30 when I wasn't having a contraction I started crying begging for an epidural. She kept quiet and didn't say anything to me. Mike started slowly talking to me telling me this isn't what I wanted, I was almost there and doing so good. I literally went excorsist on him. I told him to stop arguing with me and get me the thing now and he didn't have a choice (nice huh). My MW sat quietly and waited. I was just plain exhausted and so weak, I couldn't even sit up. I asked again between contractions (they were still 5 apart). She then said she would check me. I was at a 7 already. She said that if I wanted it, this was it, but she knew I would be delivering very soon if I wanted to wait it out. HECK NO, I am DONE.

I had to get fluids in first. My MW and a nurse stayed with me during the epi and the dr was amazing. I wanted the stupid bands off my belly while I sat up and the nurse said no, the MW lovingly took them off for the short time. It helped a lot, I just couldn't have anything confining on me.

I laid down after it was all said and done about 12:30. 1 am rolled around...guess who was ready to push. This is the SECOND time I got an epi and was ready to have the baby within minutes. I didn't care. I swayed from my birth plan and I was OK with it.

My contractions never got closer than 5 min apart, when they did come I got 2 right on top of each other. It made pushing harder since I didn't even have 30 seconds to breath in between. We started with 2 pushes with each contraction. My left side was totally numb and I couldn't even lift my leg in the slightest. We got the handle bars out to help me bear down. I was totally alert between my contractions and was having conversations.

Around 1:30 Jax heart rate started to drop. It was hitting as low as the 60s. Considering my contractions were so far apart, I really hadn't been pushing long at all. She informed me she needed to cut me and I protested till she told me he wasn't coming out and if not I was going to tear horribly. I knew she wouldn't do it if it wasn't needed.

Not sure of the time, but I hear her quietly say, get the dr. Then a nurse quietly pushes Mike down towards my legs and starts pushing on my belly. Jax wasn't coming out and his heart rate was dropping. I ignored all of this (it was a stressful situation, but everyone stayed so quiet and so calm, things just seemed to speed up some), I continued to focus on pushing him out. Next thing I know he was out. They had told me before, they didn't want him to scream and other than dad cutting the cord he needed taken to the nurses right away.

His cord was wrapped around his neck twice and he was purple. I didn't see any of this (My SIL told me later) As soon as she got the cord off, he screamed. They flopped him on me and I loved my sweet baby while daddy cut the cord. Daddy followed him to the warmer.

Our plans were no eye cream and no vit K. Well, that changed too. I had failed to tell the nurses and my MW was busy with me. Mike got over there just as soon as they were putting the Vit K in. I ended up being OK with it, as he had a ton of broken capillaries all over his head from getting stuck.

My MW seemed to be down there FOREVER. I found out later why. She cut me and I had a 2nd degree tear. All my scar tissue from before was impossible to stitch up. As soon as Jax was born my contractions stopped. My placenta hadn't delivered yet, and I had to have pitocin to start them back up to get it out.

The next day she came and seen me. She told me what a wonderful job I had done pushing (I was upset it had taken so long to get him out) and that it actually was only 8 contractions and his head was pretty big (15 inches). She said I was pretty tore up and was bleeding pretty heavily and to make sure and take it easy. I am not allowed to lift anything more than Jax till bleeding has slowed (we get there, then it picks back up) and this is by far the roughest recovery I have had.

His birth by far was the most eventful, but by far, my most favorite.
Ethan Michael 6*13*2000, Toryn Elizabeth 6*18*04, Julian Alexander 2*8*08, Jaxson Lea 5*4*12
Married to my best friend since 3*26*12
Reply With Quote
May 11th, 2012, 08:41 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 669
Great story, Amanda! So happy for you
Mommy to Jake (2009) and Jax (2012)

Reply With Quote
May 11th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 19,074
Awesome birth story! So happy for you!!

Reply With Quote
May 11th, 2012, 08:16 PM
alilangel7's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,535
Wow! Definitely an eventful birth story! Hope you heal quickly! Congrats!

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my beautiful siggy!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0