Log In Sign Up

Lucas Graham... long birth story :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 364
Our Story

4/25/12 - I called my doctor for a blood pressure check. Mommy intuition is real! I had the feeling something was wrong and am so glad I followed up, since I didn't have an appointment for another week. My blood pressure was 170/110 at the doctor's office. They sent me to the hospital for monitoring. I was admitted and my doctor eventually came in and said we were going to do a 24 hour urine draw to check my protein levels and give me the first steroid shot to help Lucas' lungs. He also put me on blood pressure meds, which helped to bring down my BP to around 150/100ish. Oh and my labs were perfect. My liver was functioning fine.

4/26/12 - This entire day was a waiting game. We needed to finish the urine draw and get the 2nd steroid shot, and those wouldn't be done until at least 9 PM that night. I was pretty bored... Josh was really busy at work and my parents were watching Savannah. My best friend came over during her lunch break, but that was pretty much the only company I had until Josh got off of work that night. We finished my urine draw and got Lucas his last shot... unfortunately the results wouldn't be in until the morning... boo! Labs again, we're good.

4/27/12 - Lucas's Birthday! Around 8 AM, right after I had finished breakfast (thank god) my nurse came in and told me my doctor ordered no more food and that we were going to have Lucas that evening. My protein levels came back out the roof. I was so hungry the rest of the day.. I couldn't even drink, but I kept sneaking in the bathroom to wet my mouth. I had some visitors in the morning.. my MIL came to town and my parents brought Savannah over so my MIL could take over her care. After that I was left alone until around 6 when Josh brought everybody back. I told him they better stay the hell out of my room if they even smelled like food... and to not bring in water or anything. LOL.. I was an angry, hungry pregnant woman. So 7:30 rolls around and they roll me into the operating room... the worst part of the whole thing for me, the epidural/spinal whatever they gave me. It took the lady like 8 tries to get it in my back... it freaking hurt. Josh was waiting outside the room and he said he could hear me moaning... the pressure is unbelievable and painful. My poor doctor, I thought I was going to crush his fingers.. he had to switch hands at one point, haha. I was also nauseous on and off but they were giving me stuff through my IV that helped, thank goodness. Anyways, she gets it in and they get the curtain up.. Josh finally gets to come in. It took the doctor a few minutes longer than he expected to go through the scar tissue and at 8:17 PM Lucas Graham entered the world.

After surgery I was put in the recovery area of the surgery department while the nurse took forever to get my stuff done. I had to be put on magnesium sulfate and given antibiotics. I finally got to see Lucas again when he was about 14 hours old, the kind nurse wheeled my bed into the NICU. Later that day I was up and walking. I was released on Monday 4/30, still on BP meds and super swollen, but so glad to go home.

Lucas Graham - He didn't cry right away. It took him what felt like forever, but it was probably only a minute or two. Josh could see him and said he was breathing but just not crying. I remember asking why he wasn't crying and my doctor told me that sometimes with c-sections it takes the baby a minute because they're kind of in shock. Finally I heard that little cry and was so happy. Josh got to go over and cut the cord, take pictures while they weighed him, etc... then they brought him to me to see. He was breathing on his own for a few minutes so they were able to do that. While I was looking at him he started grunting, so they whisked him off to the NICU for some oxygen. It was so different from our experience with Savannah, I think we were both a little shocked, but happy.

Lucas was on oxygen through a nasal cannula for only 2 days... he was off by 5/1. He kept yanking it out. After that he just needed to learn to eat, which he finally did after 3 weeks in the NICU. After showing he was gaining weight and eating all his feeds, he got to come home, 4 weeks and 1 day after his birth.

Savannah 1/23/09
Lucas 4/27/12
Reply With Quote
June 4th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Delaware (the state!)
Posts: 7,513
I am so glad he was able to go home! And glad that everyone is doing well! Thanks for sharing your birth story
4/2008 8/2011

Reply With Quote
June 4th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 798
Glad he is home with you now! congrats on your baby boy!
Reply With Quote
June 6th, 2012, 04:37 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eagle, Idaho
Posts: 60,398
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I'm glad he's home, what a long 4 weeks that must have been for you. That being hungry the day they're born thing can be such a bummer I kept saying I wanted Terra to make it out in time to order dinner, she was 6 minutes late...

Reply With Quote
June 8th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Mommy-to-2's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 435
i had those same problems with DD1 she was onlt 5 weeks early though. Glad he is doing so good now! congrats

Reply With Quote
June 22nd, 2012, 09:18 AM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,078
I'm glad everything went OK (considering the gestation) and that his stay was short!!!
Amanda- Proud Homeschooling, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, chicken raising stay at home mama to:
Girl (13.5)
Boy (11)
Boy (5)
Boy (3)
Girl (12.24.14)
Unplanned home birth on Christmas Eve 2014
Delivered by her daddy

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0