Log In Sign Up

Amelia Mae's birth story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By RachaelDMommaTo3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM
RachaelDMommaTo3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 6,725
Send a message via AIM to RachaelDMommaTo3 Send a message via Yahoo to RachaelDMommaTo3
Sorry this is long overdue!

On June 5th I was having contractions pretty much all day.. I didn't think too much of it because I had been having them for about 2 weeks off and on. That day I juiced and drank a whole pineapple, and spent the whole afternoon and evening sitting/bouncing on my yoga ball. My contractions were pretty steady, around 5-8 minutes apart. DH went to bed around 11 and I stayed up to see what would happen with the contractions. They continued and were getting pretty intense. I decided to lay down and watch some tv, and when I got up to use the bathroom I felt a little trickle. I wasn't convinced that it was anything, so I went back to laying down. Contractions got to about every 4 minutes and according to my iPad app, I was in active labor. Around 4 am I got up again and felt the same trickle.. I went in and woke DH up and told him I was going to get a shower and get ready, we would probably be going to the hospital in the morning.

At 6:30am, June 6th, we got DS1 up for school and got everyone ready. I set up a sitter for the boys, and we headed to the hospital around 8:30. We parked at the hospital and the second I stepped out of the car my water broke completely. I was shocked! All I said was "Seriously?!?" Haha! We went in and told the midwives that my water had broke.. by now my contractions were spacing out and not strong at all. They checked me at 9:00 and confirmed that my water had broke and told me that I was 1 cm dilated. The midwife took me in to do an u/s to check Amelia's size, and said she was about 8 lbs. They told me that I could go for a walk and see if my contractions picked back up. DH and I went for a walk in the hospital, and down to the cafe so he could get some breakfast. After that we walked around outside for a bit and then headed back to the L&D floor. My contractions had completely stopped at this point and the midwives said they would wait until 2:00 to see if they started again on their own. They brought in some massage oil for DH to rub my belly and said that may help start some contractions.. the oil smelled horrible and did nothing for me. The midwives brought me in some lunch and let me relax until 2:00.

At 2:00 they moved me to a delivery room where we would start being induced. They suggested that if I was going to have the epidural I could just do it before they started the pitocin and I wouldn't have to deal with all the pain. That sounded good to me, so the anesthesiologist came in and placed my epidural and only gave me a 1/2 dose of the medication. After 15 minutes I didn't feel any different at all and I told him that. He said that it could take some time to help, so I tried to give it time. They checked me and I was 2-3 cm dilated, and we started the pitocin. I was feeling the contractions coming on strong and told the midwife that the epidural wasn't working. The anesthesiologist came back in and gave me the other 1/2 dose of the medication in my epi... still I didn't feel any difference, I wasn't numb at all and was feeling everything. On top of that, I was itching horribly all over my whole body. As my contractions got stronger and closer together I kept telling the midwife that the epidural was not doing anything and she would say "Okay, I'll aske the Dr about it." The next time she would come in the room she wouldn't mention it. Around 6:00 she checked me and I was 5 cm.. I was so disappointed that it was going so slow, and I was exhausted and in pain. I tried my best to rest between contractions but they just kept getting stronger and closer together. I was doing my best to focus and relax my whole body during contractions and just breath through them. A little before 8:00, the pain was getting unbearable and I couldn't lay down any longer.. the midwife got out a birthing stool for me to sit on to see if the position change would help any. I told her again that the pain was horrible and the epidural was not working and she reassured me that she would ask the Dr. Sitting on the stool was not comfortable but I tried my best to sit there and breath through the contractions. DH sat behind me and supported me and helped me calm down to get through each contraction. Finally the pain got to where I couldn't sit like that any longer.. I had DH call the midwife in and I told her that I HAD to have something else for pain. She said, "Let me check you, I think you're probably ready to push"... she checked and sure enough I was. I got up from the birthing stool and moved to the bed. She wanted me to try pushing on my hands and knees, but all I wanted to do was lay down. Once I got laying down my body started pushing on its own, I couldn't control it. The "ring of fire" that they talk about with natural births is definitely real! After just a few good pushes, Amelia Mae was born at 8:35pm! All the pain I had been in was instantly gone! She presented with her head turned and angled to the side, but still came out with no problems. She was 8 lbs 1 oz and 20 inches of pure perfection. DH and I were in awe of her... she was so beautiful, with a full head of hair! After the placenta was delivered, we moved over to the regular bed and she latched right on and nursed for a while. It was so wonderful to just relax with her and DH.. the midwife and Dr weren't rushing us to check baby out. After an hour or so they took her and weighed/measured her. They don't do baths until the 2nd day here, so they just wiped her down and dressed her. Around 11:00pm we got moved to our regular room and settled in for the night. DH headed home to get the boys from the sitter and get some sleep.

The next morning he brought the boys up to meet their baby sister, they were completely in love!! We stayed in the hospital one more night and got to come home on Friday, June 8th.

Mom to Jacob (9), Rylan (3), and Amelia (1)

Reply With Quote
June 21st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Mommy-to-2's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 435
love it!!

Reply With Quote
June 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM
gingerrae's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Posts: 429
She's so beautiful. I love your siggie pictures. I so want a crocheted hat with flower.
Reply With Quote
June 21st, 2012, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,571
What a great story Rach! So funny that your water broke in the parking lot too! So happy for you that your little girl is finally here!
Tressa (38) and TJ (34)

Reply With Quote
June 23rd, 2012, 04:55 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eagle, Idaho
Posts: 60,398
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
What's up with that? They don't understand how to work an epidural in Germany or something?

But ya for Amelia! Congrats again, love the photos

Reply With Quote
June 23rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
lromkee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,549
Great story! Love the pictures.

Reply With Quote
June 25th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Delaware (the state!)
Posts: 7,513
Congrats! And great job, Mama! She is beautiful, all 3 of them are
4/2008 8/2011

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0