Log In Sign Up

Sebastian's birth story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Amazona

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Amazona's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 8,642
He's 9 days old so I better get to writing this! Lol

A little background:
- I had pregnancy glucose intolerance (it's an "almost GD" but treated just the same)
- since I had PPD with my first, I asked my dad and sister to come help us the first few days, especially with Max. We're from Argentina and they live there so with work and all, they could only come for 2 weeks.
- my labor with Max was fast and I was GBS+ so I was told to come to the hospital when my ctx were 10 min apart for 1 hr to have time to run the antibiotics before birth.

I had TONS of contractions starting at 32 weeks an was even put on rest for a week with preterm labor... But was only dilated to 2+ cm & 50% effaced by 38 weeks.
My family came a day before my 38w check-up & I was expecting my dr to strip my membranes as she did with Max & have a baby by the next day (because of the glucose intolerance, I was not allowed to go past 40weeks).
She stripped me and that night ctx started hitting me hard, 4 min apart, so I got scared! (Monday night)
We went to the hospital & my dr was on call. I was 3+ cm & 70% so she sent me to walk for 1 hr and see if I kept progressing. I didn't so we were sent home (still having strong ctx but not regular).
Next day I lost my plug (bloody show and all) but no ctx.
I walked like a mad woman for 3 days!!
Wednesday comes along and ctx started 10 min apart at around 2pm. Went to the hospital at 9pm. They had me soak in the whirlpool tub for 1 hr, ctx still there. Then they gave me a morphine shot & hydration to stop them (what?!).
Finally @ 4am they sent us home, exhausted and frustrated. I was still at 3.5 cm & 75% effaced.

I decided to just let it go and wait or my next appt on Sunday (39 weeks).
Sunday comes along and I was prepared to beg for an induction. Not only was I tired and sore and discouraged at all the ctx that were doing very little... But I was mostly worried my family would leave and baby will still be in my belly... And then what would I do with Max? He could stay with friends but it's not what he deserved, kwim?

Anyways, I get in and the dr saw me in the hall and sent me straight to L&D for a NST.
I was barely contracting (if at all).
She comes in and checks me 20 min later - 3.5cm & 80% effaced.
We talked, I told her all my concerns and she agreed to induce me on "social reasons" as she put it - YAY!!!!

As stupid as this will sound, we had purposely left all the bags and car seat at home not to jinx our chances for an induction

Got to my room and they started me on antibiotics. In the meantime, DH went home to get the bags.
3 hrs later they started me on pitocin and kept cranking it up every 20 min (after checking on baby's heart rate and making sure he was tolerating it).
1 hr after pitocin started, I was at 4.5cm & my dr broke my water to help baby descend and speed up delivery. We called the anesthesiologist in the meantime to get my epi (ctx weren't too painful but she said they will get more painful after water breaks).
As soon as my water broke (I had A TON of fluid), ctx were def PAINFUL, so I was relieved to know the anesthesiologist was coming.
About 5-10 min later, I got the epi (seemed like an eternity) and ctx were back to back and super painful.
I asked the anesth. If it was normal to still feel pain and she said it takes 10 min to ease up the pain and another 10 to not feel anything.
The nurse had to take my BP every 5 min for 20 min but as soon as the pain started easing up, I felt pressure and told her (jokingly) that baby wanted out. She checked me and I was complete!! - only 45 min after they broke my water!!

Dr came in and told me we would better wait 30min-1hr to help baby descend so I wouldn't had to push for long, just as we did with Max.
30 min later she came "just in case" and said I was ready.
She started prepping the bed and they called a 2nd nurse for back up. The room was pretty much ready so dr said "push once and I'll guide you through it".
So I pushed. Once. And baby came flying out!
So fast that the 2nd nurse was just entering the room and I was still hooked up to the monitors!

It was amazing. I was so much more alert and attentive to everything that was going on and what I was feeling. There are many things I don't remember from when I delivered Max, so I made sure to enjoy every second of it this time around.

I was much more in control of my emotions and handling pain through painful contractions. I was even able to joke around with DH... I told him I breathed like a dog in heat with Max and this time I was making noises like an *** (the animal) and he said "you are an ***, but we all love you" and I started laughing so hard just as a contraction started and I was the most weird combination of pain and laughter I'll ever experience

I also felt Seb coming out... Or slipping out I should say.
Also del the placenta coming out - weird, yucky feeling, lol
But no pain.

I teared bad (I have stitches in my butt!) but I am WAY more energetic than I ever was with Max.

Seb is the most amazing baby. So calm and so super alert!
He literally eats, poops, sleeps and looks around.
He is super content just lying in his bassinet and observing the world around him.
Rarely ever cries and eats like a piggy! (he's EBF).
We are totally in love and Max is too
ollybgolly and Mommy-to-2 like this.
My beautiful boys!
Max (3.5 yrs old), Sebastian (11 months old) & Tomas (10 yrs old = 70 human years )

Reply With Quote
June 27th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 798
Sounds like a great birth! Congrats!
Reply With Quote
June 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,078
aww awesome!! I'm glad this was an even better experience.
Amanda- Proud Homeschooling, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, chicken raising stay at home mama to:
Girl (13.5)
Boy (11)
Boy (5)
Boy (3)
Girl (12.24.14)
Unplanned home birth on Christmas Eve 2014
Delivered by her daddy

Reply With Quote
July 5th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Delaware (the state!)
Posts: 7,513
Great birth experience I think we had similar stories of being induced and feeling so much better the 2nd time around! So glad it went well and your family was able to be there!!

4/2008 8/2011

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0