Log In Sign Up

George Ferguson's birth story 6/28

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Mitten
Posts: 4,780
Thursday morning (6/28) at around 8:30am, Oliver woke me up. As I was using the bathroom I noticed a pop and thought that either my pelvis or my back had popped and I felt the baby drop lower. I actually started giggling since I thought it was such an odd sensation to have my back pop and for the baby to be all like "Yay! More room!!" and then drop. Anyway, I finish up, and go into the kitchen to help Olive with his breakfast. As I reach up to get his cereal I felt a lot of wetness I thought was caused by excessive discharge, so I was a tad grossed out. I finished up with his breakfast, and in hopes of finding my mucous plug, I went back to the bathroom and checked. I was surprised to find that I didn't have any mucous or discharge and that it was rather thin and watery. I sat down on the potty and when I did I had a small gush. It then occurred to me that the pop I felt was actually my water breaking. (Made sense since I couldn't tell what had popped, my pelvis or my tailbone!) So, I put on a liner and tried the laying down in bed trick. That didn't work, but the liner was damp. I wasn't entirely sure if my water had broke or was leaking, so I called Jim and let him know what I thought was going on. I ate breakfast then took a shower and dragged Oliver in with me. He wanted to play in the tub for a while, so I let him and laid down for a little bit and watched him from the bed. While laying down, I coughed a little and had a larger gush and that was enough for me. It had already been an hour at that point and if history were to repeat I only had two more hours left! It was time to get MOVING! So, I started gathering everything, I called my father in law, I called Jim to tell him he was going to need to leave work, and I finished getting Oliver ready. The strange thing was though I wasn't noticing any contractions, and I wasn't spotting/bleeding - not even a little.

My father in law came and got me and Oliver and he was so funny! He was speeding to get to the hospital even though I told him I wasn't noticing any contractions. He wasn't going fast, but he was going fast for HIM. lol Then he drops me off and wanted to make sure I like had a wheel chair or something and that I got up there alright. I had to assure him that I was fine and that I would make it safely across the room and up the elevators. hahaha He was so funny.

So, I got upstairs and went to triage and they hooked me up to monitor and sure enough, no real significant contractions. I think I was having some, but nothing to write home about. And still no bleeding. And no plug. I must have lost that without knowing it... Anyhow, they were going to check to see if my water broke and just as they did, I had another gush, so they were able to test that and not do any internal. I think after that (it might have been before - I can't remember) they did an internal check and I was only 1-2cm, 80% effaced, and high. Boo-hisss!!

Since my water broke, they admitted me and moved me to my room. I was given until 1:30 to walk and get some contractions going on my own then they were going to start pitocin. Again, booo-hisssss!

After walking for a long time trying to get the contractions going, I was beat. I sort of gave in to the inevitable - the pitocin. I really wanted labor to start on its own, but it just refused to! They were supposed to start it at 1:30, but I think I heard that the nurse went to lunch around 1:45-2:00. She came back and around 2:30 she started my IV and by 2:45ish the pitocin was started. I didn't notice anything until 3:00 which is when the contractions started, and they were already strong enough at the loading dose for me to need to breath through them.

The nurse told me they usually increase the pitocin by two every 30 minutes until optimal contractions are achieved. Okay, so that last part was a lie. I can't remember when she said they would STOP increasing it, or if she ever said anything about not increasing it. What I do remember is that she said she was going to increase it by 2 and I knew what that ment! I told her that the Dr told me I could start out slow and do a gentle induction. So, she only turned it up by one... that time... Of course the contractions got nastier. I wasn't aware of it, but she snuck in and turned my pitocin up again by one. She must have done it during a contraction. Here I thought she was just checking on me and looking at baby on monitor. Foolish me.

Around 4:00, the nurse came back to check me. She couldn't find my cervix and the check HURT. I finally told her it was fine! The baby would come out whether or not we knew how far dilated I was! I'm guessing the nurse wasn't so happy with that answer. Oh, well.

Around 4:15 my friend from nursing school stopped in to say hi. I really, REALLY wasn't in the mood to entertain, but I didn't want to be rude and kick her out! She and Jim stayed and they chit chatted. Between contractions I chatted with her too when I felt fine, but that only lasted a minute or two at most. My friend I should mention is also a doula. She tried to see if they would let me in the tub, but they wouldn't since my membranes have ruptured. (I'm sure that would have helped my pain greatly too **** it!) Then she got me a birthing ball. (When the nurse came in with the birthing ball, she also turned my pitocin up AGAIN by TWO!! I was livid!!) I have to admit, I thought that the ball would HELP with the pain. It made the pain WORSE. What the ball does is help baby go further into the pelvis by opening it up more, putting more pressure on the cervix, and likely causing me to dilate faster. Awesome. Two or so contractions on that ball and I was DONE! I was pushy and wanted to get back into bed. I started to suspect at this time I was transitioning and mentioned it to my friend and to Jim. So, after another contraction standing and swaying, I got back into bed. That didn't help either. My comforting, loving bed. Nothing was helping with that pain!! The next contraction I was laying on my side and I was moaning loudly and then I said, "I'm pushing! Shhhhh!!! Don't tell!!" LOL I knew that nurse would want to come in and check me, but it hurt too much. I didn't want to be checked.

After that the next contraction I was like "Oh!! Go get the nurse!!" I must have finally became complete cause something changed, but the head wasn't coming yet. I knew the next contraction would start the process of delivering the head. Next thing I know, the nurse is coming in with like five or so other nurses. I screamed at her "Turn the pit off, turn the pit OFF!!" One of the nurses asked if she should call the doctor. She told her to wait, but I screamed at her to call her. Sure as ****, she wanted to check me. Again I tell her the baby will come if she knows how far dilated I am or not! Again, I'm sure she was NOT happy with my response, but I did let her check. I'm not sure what she said, but I'm pretty sure it was along the lines of she's complete and ready to push!

From there out, the following contraction/s were all running together. I don't think it ever stopped actually and there was no real "urge to push", just a **** ton of pain. No one to guide me and count to ten and help me with the pushing as the nurse was not ready for this. My doula, nursing school friend tried to help, but really, she's only been a doula since like Jan/Feb. The best she had for me was to try to keep my lips loose, lol. I don't think she's actually done a lot of labors. It was nice to have her and Jim on each side for me to hold on to and squeeze, and I appreciate her efforts and support. So, the nurse delivered the head, and then I remember calling out in short breaths and syllables "Were's Dr. So-and-so?!" Like really I must have thought it had been ages when it had only been a few minutes, lol. Of course she wasn't there yet!! Someone said she was on her way. Then my nurse told me she was going to go ahead and guide the body out? I remember commenting and begging them not to let me tear up front again, and the nurse attempted to stretch the perineum. I tore and I felt it tear. Then it was over.

They said he had a terminal mec (meaning he pooped during delivery). Someone called out that it was a boy. Then they quickly cut the cord, whisked him away to the warmer, checked him over and wiped him down (no bath yet though). I was so confused as to what was going on, and what was happening. I asked my friend where the baby was and if he was okay. I didn't hear him crying. She said he was fine and pointed where he was. Then she pointed out to me when he did start crying. They must have kept him for the one and five minute apgars. Shortly after I delivered the doctor came in, helped me deliver the placenta and stitched me up. I was so disappointed that she didn't make it for the delivery. I mentioned it like 2-3 times, lol.

Before she left she was congratulating me and such and I started crying. I am/was so disappointed she wasn't there. She said she had never gotten a call saying I was contracting until she got the call saying I was ready to push/was pushing. Then she said she handed her computer over to a staff member, told them to plug it in, never finished the note she was working on or anything and hurried over, but it was too late. She is literally a block from the office. Stupid ****** nurse. I'm sure there was a note SOMEWHERE that I had fast labors and if there wasn't a note, then I most likely mentioned it to her that morning. She shouldn't have turned that pitocin up and she SHOULD have called my doc!!

Anyway, although I didn't have anywhere near the delivery I wanted, I do have a wonderful little boy. He is just a gem! And when he was born, DH started crying he was so happy. I hugged him for the longest. It was just the best moment ever. ♥

Last edited by THE angry uterus; July 8th, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0