Log In Sign Up

Mikaela's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2012, 01:50 PM
BlueJayBaby's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 455
Sorry this has taken so long! It's been a bit of a whirl wind but I think we are finally settling in. Here is the birth story of my baby girl:

On Sunday, November 25th, me and DH paid a little visit to L&D because baby girl wasn't moving much. They checked on her and everything was just fine she has just settled into a more comfortable position. Fast forward to the Monday evening (first day of my week of holidays before my mat leave was scheduled to start on Dec 3) I was super crampy all day and had tons of watery discharge all day long. At the end of the day I began to wonder if perhaps I was having a slow leak of amniotic fluid, so back to the L&D we went. They did a swab and checked my cervix and said it was not amniotic fluid and sent me home. That night I began to have pretty consistant contractions every 7 minutes and then suddenly they stopped. The next day I felt just awful, but I made sure that I put up my Christmas tree and then me and DH went for one last trip to Costco to stock up on frozen meals. I told DH that I think this shopping trip may just put me into labour. That night my contractions came back but they didn't get any closer than about 7 minutes again. As I lay down on the couch trying to get some sleep around 11 pm I suddenly heard this loud POP and when I sat up tons of fluid came rushing out. I ran and got DH and told him that I was sure this time that my water had broke and off to the hospital we went again. They checked me again and told me again that is was not my water that had broken!! I couldn't believe it, how can someone get their water breaking wrong 2 times. The nurse said she had some good news and that I was 3 cm dialated. They sent me home so I could relax as it seemed like the dilation could take a little while. The drive home was hell. The contractions started getting closer and closer and stronger and stronger. We were home for about 45 mins when I told DH that we had to go back to the hospital. This was around 2 am when we finally got back to the hospital. They checked me and I was about 4 cm so they admitted me. My original plan was to try and do this whole birth naturally but at that point I had already thrown that idea out the window. They pain was way stronger than I ever imagined. I made it to about 2:45 and then got an epi. They set me up in a delivery room and me and DH tried to get a little sleep. Around 4:30 the nurse came in to check my cervix and low and behold I was 10 cm already. Baby girl was still around station 0 thought so they wanted to wait a bit for her to drop. I called my Mom (who was already on stand by) and told her she should get to the hospital asap. Her and DH were the ones that I wanted in the room for my delivery. She showed up around 45 mins later, as did my doctor. I was so thankful that she was there. When I had first checked in they weren't sure if she would have been able to make it for the delivery. My doc asked me if I was okay with one of her interns (a midwife! ) doing the delivery with her assisting. I had no problem with that at all. By 6 I was ready to push. I pushed for about 10 mins and then suddenly my contractions just stopped. Either me or baby girl seemed to have stage fright. lol They gave me a bit of syntocin to get my contractions started again and left me be for about an hour. That was the worst hour of pain in my life. the pressure was unbarable and all I wanted to do was push. When it was time to push again I ended up pushing for 1.5 hours. Baby girl was stuck pretty good and the doctor had asked that the vacuum be brought into the room. She also gave me an episiotomy in hope that would help baby round the corner. Just the thought of the vacuum on my baby gave me super strength and I was able to push her out within the next 5 contractions. She came out with a pretty good bump on her head but other than that was just fine. She had quite the set of lungs on her and a full head of darkish brown hair (to our surprise). She was 7lbs, 2 oz and 19.5" long. They placed her on my chest where she stayed for a good hour while we got acquainted and tried to figure out breast feeding. She latched like a champ from pretty much the first try. Eventually they weighed her, etc. and I went for a shower. The took us to our overnight room and me and DH got some one on one time with baby girl, with a few visitors here and there. The next day we were discharged and went home. The next few days a nurse came by for a home visit and by the Saturday it was determined that her billirubin (sp?) was to high and she was readmitted at the hospital. She spent an evening and overnight in a billiblanket and an incubater and then was discharged around 5 pm on the Sunday. While in the hospital they insisted that I supplement her with a bottle, along with breastfeeding her. Since I was so worried about her being so jaundice I agreed and she did start getting better quickly. When we got home we started having trouble with breastfeeding but I have no given up. I am still supplementing her with my own breast milk that I am pumping throughout the day but I don't give it to her with a bottle, but with finger feeding. She has started to get better at breastfeeding again the past few days and i have to supplement less and less. I have seen a lactation consultant who is helping me with her nipple confusion, along with the fact that she is quite the lazy nurser. She is constantly falling asleep. Anyways other than that things are great. We are so in love with our baby girl and I still can't believe that we created her and she's all ours! <3 Here is a link to my Flikr page as I am not sure how to post pics on here. Hopefully it works!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Thanks *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy
Reply With Quote
December 11th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Proud Mommy!
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,028
What a story, thanks for sharing! She's beautiful!
Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia (5), Landon (2) and expecting baby #3 in June!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0