Log In Sign Up

Sophia Elisbeth Noelle

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 5,082
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
I'm so terribly sorry that it has taken me soo long to write Sophia's birth story. Finding any time to get on the computer with a newborn, let alone a newborn with colic is proving very difficult.

Let's see... where to begin.... oh, yes

October 29th was just like any other day. I got up went to work, had a great day and headed home. On my way home I started to see little black spots... I thought that maybe I didnt eat enough at lunch and I just needed some food. I went home and picked up Ryan and Hannah for dinner. On our way to eat I stopped for gas. The black spots in my vision were getting worse.... so I asked Ryan to drive as I was scared of causing an accident. Then we went to Target to get a pumpkin carving kit for Hannah. In Target I almost passed out and hit the floor.... scared, I called the after hours nurses line for my OB. She advised my to check my BP and if it was low to lay on my left side for an hour and check again. She never said what to do if it was high. We went to Walgreens to buy a BP machine.... got home and checked my BP which was 167/94. Ryan freaked out (rightly so) and told Hannah to get in the car, as he helped me get to the car since I was starting to get sick.

Once we got to the hospital and up to L&D the nurse checked my BP again.... it was 207/117... not good at all.... At this point I became violently ill and had a migraine that I can only describe as dibilitating. I literally felt like someone was trying to crack my skull open with that instrument that doctors use to crack open a chest for open heart surgery. The doctor decided to admit me. The began to run every test possible. The doctor was afraid that with my pain and BP that there was a tumor, or anurism (SP) but all of the scans came back normal along with all of the blood work.

Finally the doctor was able to get my BP under control, but was still unable to get my migraine under control. She told me that she was not comfortable sending me home like that, and if she couldnt get my pain under control she would have to take Sophia.... but it was still tooo early for that. She had to wait until I reached 35 weeks.

I was so scared.... as I was not ready to have this baby yet, and Sophia was not done baking! The staff tried everything possible, but could not get my pain under control. The doctor ordered a 24 hour urine test. My proteins were high... and finally they were able to diagnose pre eclampsia... So on Nov 2nd the OB decided to deliver Sophia. I FREAKED!!!! All I could do was cry and say "She's not ready!"

Ryan was at home doing some chores.... so I had my mom call him so that he could get back to the hospital as he rarely left my side. Ryan got there in record time (I later found out that he got a speeding ticket trying to get back to the hospital)

The nurses prepped me, and took me into the OR to receive my spinal.... which hurt like HELL cause she kept hitting bone... Finally she got the spinal done and they let Ryan into the OR. I was okay as long as I could see Ryan's face. Once they got started on the c-section Ryan was distracted. All he wanted to do was watch the surgery, so he would disappear around the curtain. I freaked out when I couldnt see his face. I needed to be able to see his face in order to focus and stay calm.

Finally the doctor pulled Sophia out at 1:26pm on Nov 2nd. I listened but there was no crying... Sophia had not made a sound. So i freaked out.. All I could say is "She's not crying, why isnt she crying?!" After what seemed like and eternity, but was prob only minutes, Sophia cried.... It was one of the most beautiful sounds I have ever heard. They rushed her to the team of NICU doctors that were in the OR. I couldnt see her, all I could see was the team of doctors surrounding her. I sent Ryan to be with Sophia and make sure she was ok. Ryan didnt want to leave my side but I insisted and would drop the issue.I knew that she needed her daddy more than I did. I just didn't know how right I was.

In the recovery room the nurse was AWFUL!!!! My spinal wore off very quickly, and I was in sooo much pain. I asked the nurse for some pain meds but she refused saying "There's nothing I can do for you!" very sternly. I cried... I had to go through the entire hour in recovery without pain meds. Once my regular nurse got to my room, I again asked for pain meds and she asked my why I had not said anything earlier to the other nurse.... buy was she pissed when I told her what happened... I had pain meds with min 10 mins.... ahh sweet relief..... well that is until the doctor told me that Sophia was in the NICU.

I didnt get to see Sophia for the first 24 hours.... The nurse said that in order to see Sophia I would have to get out of bed and go to the bathroom.... I was in so much pain that I didnt want to move.... but my heart was in so much pain that I was determined to do so..... So I prepared myself... and told Ryan to get out of my way... And on my own got out of my bed. At that point no one would let me walk by myself.... but I managed to get to the bathroom and go potty.... Then as I left the bathroom Ryan tried to help me back int bed.... I told him that if he wanted to really help me he would get out of my way and get a wheel chair and take me to see Sophia! I am so glad that he listens....

Seeing Sophia in the incubator with tubes down her throat is the WORST image I have ever seen. I would not wish that on anybody. No one wants to see their baby with tubes down their throat.... I could hold my baby... all I could do was touch her tiny little hand.... I found out that Sophia was born 6 lbs 15 ounces and 18.5 inches long. I couldnt believe that she was soo big.... I was discharged on Nov 4th. Leaving Sophia in the hospital in by far the hardest thing I have ever had to do.... I never missed a day to go up there an be with Sophia.... and every day it was heart wrenching to leave her there.

Sophia got well quickly. She only had the respirator for 3 days, and then was on the nasal cannula for 3 days.... Sophia developed jaundice so they had to put her under lights..... after that they told us that all they were waiting on was Sophia to take 2 ounce bottles on her own. I tried everything, nothing I did would get Sophia to eat the 2 ounces.....

Then on Nov 8th my mom came up to see Sophia.... and was able to get Sophia to eat her first 2 ounce bottle.... Sophia from that point on ate like a champ and was released from NICU on Nov 11th! Hard to believe that she has been home a month tomorrow..... its also hard to believe how much she has changed all of our lives.... I cant imagine life without her!

Alright..... finally here are some pictures for everyone!!

The first time I got to see Sophia in the NICU

First time Ryan and I got to hold Sophia in the NICU

Coming Home....

Hannah getting to hold Sophia for the first time...


A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

Reply With Quote
December 11th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Proud Mommy!
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,011
Wow, she's already been through so much in her short little life. So glad she's doing well now, though! She's adorable, congrats!
Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia (4), Landon (2) and expecting baby #3 in June!

Reply With Quote
December 25th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 5,082
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
Thank you

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

Reply With Quote
December 25th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,142
Glad mom and baby are well! Congratulations!
Reply With Quote
December 30th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 22
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0