Log In Sign Up

Sophia Evelyn's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Cassie.S

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Proud Mommy!
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,029
Sophia’s due date was 12/21, but I was really afraid she would end up coming on Christmas and wouldn’t have her own special birthday, so I was secretly (or not so secretly) hoping she’d come early. So I started doing a bunch of bouncing on my exercise ball and walking to try and help speed the process up a bit. The day before she was born (12/11) I had done the same, lots of bouncing and walking, and had a feeling she would be coming soon because I felt a ton of pressure down low and figured she was dropping. And I was right!

Just shortly after 4:30am on 12/12 I woke up to a big gush. I wasn’t sure what was going on at first but I hurried to the bathroom and when I realized water was gushing out and not stopping I knew it had to be my water breaking. And thankfully the week before I had started sleeping on a fleece blanket, just in case this happened, and that soaked a lot of it up, so there wasn’t a big mess everywhere. I then told Andrew that my water had broken and it was baby day!
I wasn’t having any contractions yet and my OB had said if this happened I could wait a few hours to see if things started on their own before going to the hospital. So we packed the last of our things, cleaned up a bit, ate a light breakfast, called our parents to let them know today was the day and I might have given the dog a bath… At 7:30 we decided we should go ahead and go in to the hospital.

We don’t live far away at all and after checking in at the ER we were brought up to labor & delivery and in our room by 8:00. The nurse checked me and said I was only 1-2cm dilated but 100% effaced. I was really hoping to hear a slightly higher number because I knew that since my water had broken they’d want to start Pitocin to get things going. I was hoping to go natural and knew Pitocin can make things more intense, but I didn’t want to risk any other complications happening so I was fine with whatever needed to be done.

At 9:00am my OB came in and, as I knew would happen, she said she wanted to start Pitocin. By 9:30 I had an IV inserted (it took two tries… ouch!) and Pitocin was started. She knew I wanted to go without pain meds so they did things slowly.

I was next checked at 10:40am and was now 3cm. At this point I was just starting to feel a few contractions but they were definitely still manageable at this point. By 12:30 I was at 4cm and things were starting to pick up and I needed to focus on getting through them. Andrew did a great job of rubbing my lower back through each one while I was on the birthing ball or just standing and leaning against the bed rails.

At 2:30pm I was checked again and was at 6cm but the contractions were getting pretty painful and some were coming one after the other. My nurse guessed that she would be born around 8:00 that night and I knew there was no way I could make it that long in this much pain, so I asked for an epidural. While waiting for the anesthesiologist to get there, the pain became so painful and I suddenly felt a lot of pressure and a burning sensation. I had this feeling that I was complete already but didn’t want to say it because I thought there was no way since she said it would still be hours away. So the nurse checked me and sure enough I had gone from a 6 to complete in just 20 minutes!

Now is when things got scary. I’m a little foggy on some of the details because the pain was so intense I was kind of out of it for a bit. But because I had dilated so quickly it must have caused stress on Sophia and four or five nurses came rushing in. They put an internal monitor on her, an oxygen mask on me and then they started rolling me from one side to the other every minute or so. Andrew said this really freaked him out since he had no idea what was going on. But things finally calmed down and most of the nurses left. This is also when the anesthesiologist finally showed up and they asked if I still wanted it or if I wanted to finish without. Since I knew I was complete and made it through the worst of it without, I was just going to keep doing what I was doing.

So the nurses said I could do some practice pushes if I was ready. I did a couple rounds of pushing with them and then someone said they were going to call Dr. Emm (my OB). I did a few more rounds and then they said she had dropped and I needed to stop pushing. Um, what?! Easier said than done when my body is pushing on its own. But I only went through two contractions before she showed up and it was go time. I pushed one round and I heard all the nurses saying they were shocked at how much hair she had and someone asked if I wanted to reach down and touch her. I wasn’t sure at first, but I did and wow what a crazy feeling! It took only one more round before Sophia’s head came out. I was in between contractions and they were going to have me wait to finish, but oh the burning, so they said I could keep pushing if I wanted and I definitely did. Just a couple more pushes and she was born!

They put her right on my chest and cleaned her up from there and then asked Andrew if he wanted to cut the cord. He gets queasy easily and had already told me he wasn’t sure he could do it, so he said no and they asked me if I wanted to, so I cut it. Then we did skin to skin while they delivered the placenta and stitched me up. I only had a small first degree tear (thankfully), so it didn’t take long. After a bit they took her over to be weighed and measured. She was 6lb 12oz and 20.5” long and her Apgar scores were 8 and 9.

Then they brought her back to me to and we tried to start breastfeeding. We didn’t have a whole lot of success, but the lactation consultant said all her signs looked good and it would just take some time. So I felt good about that at least.

We then were told that Sophia had a little issue with low blood sugar. They said they would give me another chance to breastfeed, but if that didn’t work we’d have to either give her formula or she’d need an IV. We tried breastfeeding but she was just completely asleep at this point and not interested at all. So, as much as I didn’t want to have to do this, we gave her formula but that was much better than an IV. They then started testing her blood sugar right before and a half hour after eating each time. The first several times it was still too low, so in the early hours of the morning they had to put in an IV. My poor baby!

The IV only stayed in until mid-afternoon but they had to keep the hep-lock in until she was checked by the pediatrician just in case they would want to start it again. Then the next thing we had to deal with is because her blood type is A+ and mine is O+, I guess that meant she has a higher risk of jaundice. They checked her that night and the next morning and thankfully her levels were all fine and we were cleared to go home!

We’ve had a little trouble with breastfeeding, but she’s finally getting the hang of it. The only thing is getting her to wake up long enough to eat. She sometimes will latch and fall asleep just a couple minutes later. So I’ve also been pumping as much as I can and feeding her that when needed. But I think she’ll have it all figured out soon!

She’s such a sweet baby and I couldn’t be any happier. I’ve known for a long time that I was meant to be a mom and couldn’t wait for this time in my life, but I had no idea it would be this amazing! We’re so in love with her!
Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia (5), Landon (2) and expecting baby #3 in June!

Reply With Quote
December 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern AZ
Posts: 5,895
Wow what a story Cassie. Way to go, toughing out without an epidural, I know you didnt want to.
That is so sad I had no idea she needed an IV. That would have broken my heart. Glad shes doing good now.

I'm sorry to hear but glad she doesnt like to wake up for nursing. I was starting to think there was something wrong with Samantha because she will fall asleep after 10 minutes or sometimes less.

Thank you for the amazing siggy *Kiliki*

Reply With Quote
December 17th, 2012, 08:11 PM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,579
Great story Cassie Congrats on your sweet baby girl!

Our family is complete

Reply With Quote
December 19th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Boss Mama
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 8,254
Look at that hair Soooooo adorable. hun
BFP #1 - Baby boy born May 10 1998
BFP #2 - Baby Girl born March 22 2002
BFP #3 - Baby girl born September 18 2009
We started trying for our last child in September 2011 and it has been a rollercoaster
BFP #4 Baby girl Lauren born sleeping at 18 weeks July 5 2012 (PPROM) no answers why
BFP #5 - D&C Feb 11 2013 (heart Stopped at 13 weeks)
BFP #6 - Miscarriage at 8 weeks Nov 28 2014
BFP #7 - Baby girl Kimiah Genesis born sleeping at 23 weeks June 28 2016 (PPROM and PtL) found out after autopsy i had an infection and need to go on antibiotic therapy if i get pregnant

My Ovulation Chart

Some days i feel to just give up but a part of me can't let go of the thought of hopefully one day God blessing us again!!!!
Reply With Quote
December 20th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West Coast Florida
Posts: 11,757
great story!
Reply With Quote
December 20th, 2012, 10:02 AM
mom2pne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Janesville, WI
Posts: 2,301
Wow, usually when the water breaks it helps move things along quicker and her needing an IV! Glad she only needed it for a little while! Such a beauty and all that hair! Have you talked to her doctor about her sleeping while feeding? I hope nothing is wrong, but I would bring it up!
Simone SAHM to 5 boys Trenton 23, Tyler 20, twins Peyton and Eli 11, & Lennox 7 and 5 s (1992, 2008, 2011, 2013, & 2015)
Reply With Quote
December 29th, 2012, 10:16 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,959
What a story! Congratulations Cassie, she's adorable.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

Reply With Quote
December 30th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 22
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0