Log In Sign Up

Juliet Annelynn: 11/18/12

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2013, 11:14 AM
-Brandy-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,790
Sorry it has taken me so long to post this, but I promise to include as many details as possible!

I was admitted to the hospital at 8 am on 11/17 for a scheduled induction. While my due date wasn't till 11/19 I was extremely swollen,done being pregnant and showing absolutely zero signs of impending labor. After getting settled into the room and having monitors hooked up we found out that I was having sporadic contractions (that I didn't even feel) however still 0 dilation. The Cervadil was placed around 10:30 am and then the waiting began. Once the Cervadil was placed I was only allowed to get up to use the bathroom so that it would stay in place, but I was allowed to eat all day. The nurse, Jo, advised that unless my water broke during the 12 hour placement time they wouldn't be checking me until they took it out at 10:30 pm. Very soon after the placement of the Cervadil I began having more contractions and actually starting feeling the tightening that so many people had described. Throughout the day Steve and I hung out watching movies and several episodes of Moonshiners (which we have never watched prior to this). My mom, who lives 2 hours away, had got into town the night before and was staying with my in-laws- they all came up to visit that evening and enjoyed watching my contractions on the monitor. The rest of the day was very uneventful and I was so tired of laying in a bed, I tried to rest but couldn't get comfortable.

At 8:00pm Jo went home for the night and told me she would see me in the morning to have that baby--I told her as much as I liked her I hoped to have had her by then. Jo advised me that she thought I would still be there in the morning and may need a second round of Cervadil. My dr's rule was that if I was progressing at all, then no second round of Cervadil we would start the Pitocin, but if no progress then another 12 hour shift with Cervadil. The night nurse came in, she was nice but not Jo and had a weird shaped knuckle. Finally at 10:30 the Cervadil came out... which was more painful than childbirth itself I think. Apparently Cervadil makes everything very sensitive and my cervix was still very high so the nurse pretty much had to climb inside me to get it out--this is how I knew she had a weird shaped knuckle, it stuck out and I definitely felt it! I had tears rolling down my cheeks and was climbing up the bed but we finally got it out. The nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 2!!!! Woo hoo no more Cervadil...I have never been so happy. The nurse then sent Steve to get me a snack and said she had to wait 30 minutes after removing the Cervadil to start Pitocin. Once Pitocin was started I wouldn't be allowed to eat anymore. Steve got me some chicken strips, which were amazing--- I think I was just hungry and nervous. After getting done eating those it was time to start the Pitocin, when the nurse came in I was getting up to go to bathroom so she said she would come right back to start it.

After I went to the bathroom I was headed back to my bed and my WATER BROKE! I was half way between my bed and my bathroom and everytime I moved either way more came splashing out. Steve attempted to clean it up so I wouldn't fall but started gagging and I sent him to go get the nurse. She helped me back to the bathroom, cleaned up the floor and got me situated with towels to get me back to my bed. The nurse noticed very little meconium in my water, but advised Peds would need to be present for delivery. After all of this it was about 11:30 before we started the pitocin. During this time Steve ran to his parents (10 minutes away) to pick up my mom so she could be at the hospital. While the nurse was getting the pitocin set up and fighting my daughter who kept running from the monitors and setting off alarms, I was asking her when people usually get the epidural after their water breaks and if there was an anesthesiologist at the hospital this late at night or if he would have to be called in. I didn't want to miss the window of opportunity and end up doing this without an epidural, just not something I wanted to do but HUGE props to anyone that does! I also didn't want to get to a point I couldn't handle it anymore and then be told the anesthesiologist was being paged to come in and have to wait all that time. She advised he was in the building and could be doing my epidural within 20 minutes of me asking for it. In the time it took her to get me set up and the baby on the monitor I started having back to back contractions, I would have 3 or 4 back to back and then get a couple minute break before another round would come. I went from calm to shaking uncontrollably and very tense within minutes. I had tears in my eyes when I told her to please call the anesthesiologist. So by midnight I was getting my epidural. With so much happening within the last two hours I thought she would be here for sure within an hour or two...boy was I wrong!

My epidural was perfect, I was not in pain but could feel pressure and was able to support my body weight enough to lift my butt off the bed to have new bedding placed beneath me. Something I didn't realize till then was that once your water breaks you continue to leak each contraction until the baby comes... I thought it was just going to all come out when it broke or shortly thereafter. Another realization was that the catheter didn't hurt at all, I was scared to death but it was amazing...finally I didn't feel like I had to pee every 5 minutes anymore. We all tried to get rest but only caught cat naps throughout the night. I had to have an internal montior placed, not the kind in the top of the babys head, because she refused to stay on the monitors and with pitocin they have to be able to monitor her. Due to her not staying on monitors they were having to stop my pitocin so it was just better to get the monitor internally---it didn't hurt at all and upon birth there were no signs it had been placed.

7am came and in came Jo with another nurse who was transferring from Cardiac to L&D- it was her first day...and Jo was right I was still there. I hadn't been checked since 10:30 the night before, in an effort to avoid infection, so at shift change the new nurse checked me and told Jo she thought I was at a 7-- I was so happy to hear this until Jo checked me and said no you are fully dilated! It was game time, Steve called his parents and update my sister via text. Mom left the room and the nurses broke down my bed, notified my dr and prepared my room for delivery.

Jo asked Steve if he wanted to watch but he is very squemish so we decided it was best he stay at my head, I also declined a mirror to watch- I didn't want to remember my lady parts that way. Jo also asked Steve if he had eaten yet and when he said no she decided he should drink an OJ to keep his sugars upso that he didn't pass out. I started pushing around 7:30 and would push 2-3 times each contraction before resting. Jo told us that she had a full head of dark hair. Suddenly Jo put oxygen on me, rolled me to my side, told me to quit pushing and yelled for them to call my dr and send in the on call dr. The atmosphere of the room changed and got very tense, I was scared and Steve in shock finally asked if everything was ok. Very little was said until I noticed they were watching her heart rate on the monitor, it had dropped to 76 during my last push and was not coming back up. Jo began massaging her head and finally it came back up. She then explained that her heart rate dropped to 76 for 3 1/2 minutes and we would not be pushing again until my dr was in room. My dr was there within 10 minutes and after checking me out we began pushing again, we were now pushing 3-4 times each contraction- it became apparent to me that my dr wanted her out sooner than later. Finally her head was out and my dr advised to stop pushing. The umbilical cord was short and wrapped around her neck...now we know why her heart rate had dropped before. The umbilical cord was cut and we finished pushing her out. At 9:06 am our beautiful baby girl entered the world. Due to the meconium in my water she was quickly taken by the Peds nurses to suction out her nose and throat before she breathed in the fluid. If she inhaled it she would have to spend some time in NICU to ensure she was ok. Thankfully they got it out before that happened and I was finally able to hear her cry. They asked daddy if he wanted to cut the cord but he declined (probably best). Mommy had a second degree tear, but nothing a couple of stitches didn't take care of.

Steve and I had not chosen a name prior to birth, instead we narrowed it to 3 names and waited to see her to decide. The choices were:

Cheyenne Adele
Juliet Annelynn (Annelynn is a combination of her grandmas middle names Ann and Evelynn)
Savanah Christine (Christine was my grandma's middle name)

After finally getting to hold her, I asked Steve if we could name her Juliet Annelynn and he said we could name her whatever I wanted. Later he told me that he figured that after going through that to get her here I deserved to pick her name.

Juliet Annelynn it is then. She was 8 lbs 0 oz at birth and 22 inches long.

First Family Picture


A BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!

Reply With Quote
January 31st, 2013, 04:59 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,216
So happy to hear from you, Brandy! I've been checking for you periodically, wondering if everything was okay.

Sounds like things got a little scary but thankfully everything is fine .

We delivered at the same hospital, wasn't it pretty awesome there? I didn't want to leave!
Reply With Quote
February 2nd, 2013, 03:45 PM
swtneka's Avatar Praying for a miracle
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hattiesburg, Ms
Posts: 7,723
She is beautiful!

Reply With Quote
February 4th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 5,082
She's gorgeous!!!!

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

Reply With Quote
February 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Hopolka's Avatar Wife, Mom of 1, Expecting
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: IA
Posts: 2,316
Aw, she's so sweet. Jo sounds like an awesome nurse, I'm glad things worked out well for you and you got her as your delivery nurse. Congrats mama. Hard to believe this was all over 2 months ago! Crazy
~*Hannah*~ Check out my fitness page at https://www.facebook.com/afitlifewithhannah
Team Blue!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 AM.