Log In Sign Up

Were You Induced or Did You Go Into Labor On Your Own?

Forum: Stillbirth


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stillbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,192
Carrie's post made me wonder...

Did you go into labor when you lost your baby or were you induced?

We found out at my OB visit then emergency ultrasound...I was then told to go to the hospital so I did (I think because they told me he had already been dead for a week). They wanted to induce that night but I made them wait until the next morning. The first pill that ripens your cervix didn't do much but the second one started contractions and 13.5 hours later Roald was born.
Visit Terry & Roald's Memorial Site!

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,095
I was induced using cytotec with both. They had to be careful how they induced me due to my previous c-section. They were afraid of over-stimulating my uterus because they didn't want to cause a rupture. They started the induction about 8 hours after we found out Eva had passed. With Declan, they started the induction a little less than 24 hours after we first went to the hospital and they couldn't find the heartbeat.

Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 43,573
I was induced. I was already 2cm dilated and 70% effaced so we went straight to pit. ((My body was prepping for labor the couple of days before she died, but once she passed it all stopped))

We confirmed she had no heartbeat at about 2pm, and went in to the hospital the next morning. I bumped someone else who was being induced because she was overdue.
Thanks to babydoll213 for the siggy! My kids' blog Cora's blog

Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: the edge of reason
Posts: 1,721
I was induced with pitocin. I was 4 cm by the time it was administered. I turned down misoprostol (cytotec) since I didn't want to risk uterine hyperstimulation due to having a very distended and irritated uterus. From the start of active labor to birth was 1 hour 40 minutes. It took sometime to start actively contracting due to mechanical issues associated with polyhydramnios.

Oh, and I *think* the last time I might have felt him move was Monday evening. He probably passed sometime that night or the following morning. I discovered he was gone late morning on Thursday. Went to the hospital for confirmation that evening and went back to the hospital close to 1:00 am the following morning. The induction wasn't started until later that morning.
G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08 | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.17.18.

Last edited by Aeterna; August 28th, 2009 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 01:18 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,732
I was induced because I was only 18 weeks, but when they went to put the laminaria in they discovered I was already 1cm dilated. Induction took 17 hours, again because I was only 18 weeks.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 01:23 PM
BakingMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,192
Rebecca, I actually have a friend who was 18 weeks when she lost her first baby. She has also had a fullterm stillbirth but she still considers her first a stillbirth also. She actually went into spontaneous labor on her own and it only took a few hours. But I know when you are premature they say if induced labor can sometimes take days (they told us that too, even though it took 13.5 hours). Actually, that friend's full term labor happened on its own and took 3 days.
Visit Terry & Roald's Memorial Site!

Thanks to Mommy2Belle for my Roald blinkie!
Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,732
We were told that the induction would take 24-72 hours normally, so we were very lucky it only took 17 hours. That's actually how we know he wouldn't have lived much longer than he did and we were right to induce - the fact that I was dilated and the speed of the induction mean that he would have been stillborn maybe a week after we terminated. Poor little guy just couldn't have survived without fluid.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 04:48 PM
SimplyJenalee's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 789
I was 39W6D when I loss Alyssa, we found out about 11am, I was 2 cm dilated already just because my body was already beginning labor before everything happened (much like Brittanie's post above). They started me on a pitocin drip but that did NOTHING so the next day at about 4pm they put some type of tiny tablet inside me (Don't remember the name) and finally at 11:50pm the next day I delivered Alyssa.
Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 05:44 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 20,689
I was induced using cytotec, which made me very nervous because of my previous c-section and the HUGE risk of hyper stimulation with that drug. The MW said it should be okay because I was not yet 30 weeks, after 30 weeks she would have had to do the induction differently, probably pitocin. '

They also used the bulb catheter, I think that was sort of an experiment on the MW's part, but I do think it made the induction go faster. It took about 11 hours from the first pill until the catheter popped out and Colm came immediately after.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 213
I was induced about a week after my son had passed away. They said he had been dead for about 1-2 days prior. That was the worse week of my life. I just sat there waiting. I called the doctor and he took a day or so to return my calls, and then asked me what I wanted to do. I could have surgery to remove the baby and be knocked out or give birth. I choose the later. After a week of going nuts, I Finally yelled at him and said it needs to been done now. I thought a week would help prepare me......that was not the case. When the doctor called and said they had a bed at the hospital ready for me, I freaked out. It was all going to be over soon and I wouldn't be pregnant anymore and I had to really face my son being gone. I got to the hospital about 7pm and got the 1st dose of cytotec and received two doses about every 4 hours. We had our son at 6:30am. I couldn’t have asked for more supportive nurses and doctors. My nurse was a god send. She was with me the whole time and also the one who delivered me.
Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 4,037
They induced me with cytotec. My cervix wasn't dialated at all when we found out Devin had passed, but my body *felt* like it was close to labor. It was only a couple of hours between my ultrasound and them starting my induction. They put in one pill to start the process, and that was all they had to do.... 6 hours of labor and Devin was born.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 06:10 PM
liz bevan's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 998
Send a message via AIM to liz bevan Send a message via MSN to liz bevan
I was over due. Everything was fine until the end of labour. Our son died during the labour. I was induced with cervidil and the contractions were very painful. I ended up going through pushing as well as a c-section.

Thank you so much for the awesome siggie Claire
Our joys will be greater
Our love will be deeper
Our lives will be fuller
Because we shared your moment
Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 982
My experience was like Brittanie's. I'd been having periodic contractions for DAYS. I felt him move about 3pm for the last time, although at the time I didn't realize because I was cleaning out the garage. Later we were watching tv I realized he'd been quiet but then I started having contractions every 5mins. This went on for 3hrs and it stopped. During the contractions I couldn't tell if he was moving because Joey was a "stretcher" not a "kicker" if that makes sense. His stretches actually felt like b-h contractions. When everything stopped I went to bed and the next morning my belly just felt strange and from the minute I woke up and realized he had not woken me up during the night as he has the last week I knew he was gone. I was sad all morning but afraid to tell dh adn afraid to call the doctor as i had an appt that afternoon anyway. I was induced that evening, pit started at 6. Easy contractions until about 5:30 am when doc broke my water then hard labor till 9:16 when he was born. 18hrs total, 3hrs of tough labor. I was already 3cm when I got there.
Married to my best friend Tom since 2004 (together since 1999)
Mommy to two little boys:
Jamie ~ 7-12-04 ~ fun, crazy, transformer loving tough-guy mama's boy
Joey ~ 4-4-09 ~ born sleeping ~ held under my heart for 40wk1d, in my arms for just 6 short hours but he will be in my heart forever
And finally holding my little girl,Felicity Rose, Born into Daddy's loving hands on June 9, 2010

Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 32.918289,-97.272266
Posts: 1,758
I had a C-section. The doctor couldn't detect Noah's heartbeat around 2:45 p.m. on a Monday. I was immediately sent to L&D where they monitored me and the nurses on duty said it looked like I was having some minor contractions throughout the night (more likely due to stress and not actual beginning stages of labor, according to my OB).

I had a final ultrasound around 9:00 a.m., they started prepping me around 9:30 a.m., and I had the C-section at 10 a.m. the following Tuesday.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
Reply With Quote
August 28th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 1,760
I started having contractions at about 10 am. We went to the hospital , and found out at around 12:30 pm that there was no heartbeat, by that time I was already dialated 4cm. So there was no induction. I had him at around 9pm that day which was a week before my due date. According to the OB, he died 1-2days prior.

Reply With Quote
August 29th, 2009, 01:17 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: huddersfield, england
Posts: 33,629
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
i was induced, they gave me a tablet to stop my body thinking i was pregnant and sent me home for 2 days then i had to go back for the induction

Reply With Quote
August 29th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 696
I was induced. They didn't tell me that at 35 weeks, it could take up to a few days to deliver. They also used cytotec and didn't tell me the side effects. I found out he had passed at around 1 or 2pm. They put in the first cytotec tablet at 5. I ended up miserable with pelvic pain and requested an epidural at 8:30, which I didn't get til 1:30am. At 10pm they went to put in another cytotec tablet which I refused cause I wanted my epidural first. I got the epidural at 1;30 am, then they put in more cytotec at 5:00am. By 9am I wasn't dialated so they tried the catherter. I had that in all day and by 7 pm the day after the induction started, they pulled the catheter out and broke my bag of waters and started pitocin. Then things went crazy fast. I started pushing at 9:45pm and he was out at 10:09pm. It was the longest 29 hours of my life. The doctors were terrible and never kept us as informed as I think they should've. The nureses were super nice though. I just (obviously) hope to never go through it again.
*A HUGE thank you to Maitri for my beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote
August 29th, 2009, 08:20 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,847
I had to have a C-Section. They didn't even give me an option, I was much to sick to try to have a VBAC anyway. I was given HUGE doses of pain medications that were doing nothing for my headache. They thought I had a ruptured anyerism but it was just the high blood pressure. When they finally got me into surgery, I fell asleep before he was actually born. My husband said it was horrible to hear just how eeriely quiet the surgical room was. No one said anything that was unnecessary and there was never that cry from the baby that should come. I'm kind of glad I was asleep. They sent me right to ICU after the birth.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
Reply With Quote
August 29th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,304
I was induced. I wasn't feeling a lot of movemt which my on said was normal at the end of pregnancy. The day after my appointment I went to the er and they sent me to l&d and when the nurse couldn't find his heartbeat I had an u/s to confirm. The ob induced me by pill and I was sent home came back in around 11pm for another dose and sent home again. Around 11 am I couldn't take the pain so I went into the hospital and Jake was born a few hours later. I had a shot of something and gas.
The silence was the worst part and not having the baby crib thing in the room was really hard too.

Owen, Avery, Samantha and forever missing Jake born still 08/01/99.

Last edited by LauraG; August 29th, 2009 at 11:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
August 30th, 2009, 09:32 AM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 2,517
I went into labor on my own.

I had a subchorionic hematoma and had been having PTL since about 16 weeks. At 19w5d I was again having PTL, doc told me to drink some water and lay down for an hour and call back if it didn't get better. I did and in that hour it got worse.

By the time I got to the hospital I was 7cm dilated and Clark was born 15 minutes later.

He was born at 19w6d and I had heard his heartbeat 6 hour prior to his delivery, but he was gone by the time we got to the hospital. My placenta had abrupted and he bled out.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0