is making your own worth it?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! Im about 7 weeks pregnant. I've been thinking about CDing for awhile and would really like to try to go through with it. My mom is a seamstress/ embroiderer, and I have pretty good sewing skills, and am wondering if its really worth it to make your own CDs. I guess Im thinking the earlier I think about doing this, the more likely I will actually follow through with it. Plus then I could have enough that work before the baby comes (and have no time to make any! haha). Or do the pre-made CDs work better? I have been looking at the links for making your own, and I guess the only thing I don't really understand would be the elastic around the legs (I wouldn't want it to be too tight or loose). Well if anyone has any knowledge about this stuff, I'd love to hear it! You'll probably be seeing me on this board occasionally in the coming months!

February 14th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it's worth it if you are making pockets or AIO/2s or fitteds. If you want to use prefolds, it's more cost effective to go with premade ones. I would start early to get your technique down. use cheapy fabric to start with until you are sure you can/want to do it. the best way to figure out the elastic in the legs is trial and error. Then once you get one how you like, measure how much elastic you used and use the same amount for all of them.
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!
February 14th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks! Thats funny that you and your mom do it together too! Your diapers look really great.

February 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I cant really say for sure, I dont own a single brand name diaper. Most of my stash is somebody's DIY projects, then I have few I made myself and a handful of WAHM ones. I usually go with a fitted and a separate cover and at least when I've browsed the fitteds seem to be quite pricy. Then again it takes a while to make a diaper.

If you have any Qs about making them you can PM me (I browse this forum really sporatically and just noticed your post by chance) and can share what I have learned so far.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
February 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
mikala101505's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
you can also make them from old tshirts or pjs to save extra money! if you already have sewing skills i say go for it!

February 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
MommyTatt's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is worth it! I love doing it and I like that I have a large stash of many kinds. I like to change it up every few days. So I have the AIO's the Fitteds the pockets.... I started out with prefolds and contours then I ventured out! I think it is totally worth it!

I have learned alot over the years but the best thing I have learned is I love... sloppy baby kisses, messy handed hugs, tooth paste pictures drawn for me on the mirror,that a dandylion bouquet is prettier then roses anyday and most of all I have learned there is no love like that of a child!!

February 16th, 2009, 07:07 AM
lindsayb63's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been making my own along with my mom! They are SUPER easy and much, much cheaper (I can do a AOI for about $3-4 versus buying one for $20!)

Check out diaperfabric.com - they have my favorite pattern so far (Very Baby).

February 16th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! I think Im gonna start either later this week or the beginning of next week. I will let you know how it goes!

February 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM
mommadoolittle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
diaperkit.com You can also try this site, they sell the kits all cut out and ready to be sewn together. If nothing else maybe get 1 or 2 and once you get the hang of it you can buy the stuff and make your own. I want to order some and give it a shot.

February 17th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes it can be totally worth it as long as you don't spend like I do on fabric. I have enough to probably make 12 kids a complete stash from NB thru PT..

I totally second diaperkits for the first ones. She send everything you need to make up to 2 diapers. So the investment isn't high. She wasn't around when I started so I ended up with a yard of each material and at the time it was $45 for it.

I totally agree. Don't bother with prefolds. I find little lion has the softest indian cotton and her prices are fantastic. It's really not worth it.

For my NB, I only making a few of each of the patterns I have. You'll find what fits on one baby may not work for another. Not to mention, you never know if your baby will have an allergy to a particular fabric/elastic, etc. I'm being really careful with this stash that it doesn't have more than 3 diapers made the same way and all are pockets so I don't have to worry about insert allergies.

February 17th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any brand name dipes to compare to, but I made my stash and I'm loving it. I made a fitted pocket diaper from the Rita's Rump Pocket pattern. It's free at the link. It was my first real sewing project and they turned out great! I made 30 for about $120 (and I could have spent less, I bought too much elastic!) I also used my scraps to make coordinating cloth wipes (there was enough left for about 60 of those, but they are sort of varied in shape and size since I just worked with what was left).

I love it because I saved so much money, they work wonderfully, Matilda seems so comfy in them and I actually get a lot of compliments about how cute they are. It was a lot of fun for me to make them and I'm even thinking of going back to get fabric to make outfits that match some of the dipes!

It took me about 30 minutes per diaper, and like I said, this was my first real sewing project. This video helped a lot, especially with the elastic, which was really not that hard. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about these.

Right now I'm just stuffing them with a folded microfiber towel that I got really inexpensively at Sam's Club.

Here are pictures of the diaper:

A gratuitous picture of my baby in the diaper:

And my stash:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search