Delaminating?!?!?!?!

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Karine119's Avatar SAHM of 3 Drama Queens!
I am so upset! I just posted this on my FB hoping some of my diaper companies/WAHM friends have an idea, but I thought I would ask you all as well. Over the last few months I want to say 5 (I'd have to check) of my diapers have delaminated. In the beginning it was only one brand and I am on great terms with the shop owner/designer so I emailed her with pictures asking her why and if she has had any complaints about maybe a bad batch of PUL. She offered to replace all 5 diapers, but I told her no because I had won the 5 pack on her blog and didn't think it right to have them replaced when I didn't pay for them and they worked just fine during the day for several hours. Now 2 of them ripped and need a cover to be worn.

Over the last 2 weeks or so 2 more of my diapers (WAHM) began delaminating and I just went to grab one as a night time diaper for my 2 y/o, but decided to check it to see how the PUL was doing and noticed it had ripped at the seam where the PUL separated.

Does anyone know why they might do this? We line dry our diapers (inside and outside depending on the weather) and have at most dried them in a dryer 5 times on low. The most recent dryer drying was last week in an attempt to relaminate them, but that didn't seem to work.

I use RnG, wash routine is roughly every other to every 2 days. Cold wash with nothing, hot wash with RnG, hot wash with nothing. I have to do a bit more of a wash every so often because our washer is on it's way out and doesn't always get enough water in it. Generally we wash 10-20 diapers at a time. Has anyone had this happen? Did you find out a reason for it?

January 29th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Luv2Laugh's Avatar Frugalicious mama!
That's very strange. Unless the companies bought the pul from the same place. I'm sorry this happened to you!

January 29th, 2011, 06:41 AM
SuJo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It could be possible that the line drying is the culprit. The laminate is applied with heat, so occasional heat would help to reseal it. Might be too late on those but you might consider drying the others on high occasionally.
January 29th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks girls. I think it is a combo of the lack of drying and the detergent we switched to building up.

When you dry on high, do you dry them until they are dry or do you just do it for a few minutes?

January 29th, 2011, 10:53 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That stinks!

We line dry normally, but I put them in the dryer every now and then. I put them in on high. Not sure if that's what's recommended, but I figure that will help the laminate bond and kill bacteria, too. They haven't shrunk at all.

January 29th, 2011, 11:26 AM
sunny mama's Avatar Super Mommy
Not sure about this, but I think the optimal care for those kind of dipes is to line dry them, but also put them in the dryer like once a month. I was line drying all my pocket dipes and then noticed some wicking, so now I dry them in the dryer once a month.
January 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I'll let everyone know how it goes after the next wash with a dry.

January 29th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I have noticed some of mine (about 6 months old) starting to delaminate too.... still very much functional but annoying all the same

January 29th, 2011, 09:53 PM
SuJo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dry all of my diapers 99% of the time, and I haven't had any delmainating. I dry them on warm to hot, I try not to always have it on hot.

The PUL can withstand the heat, it's the elastic and velcro that could have their lifespan shortened.
January 30th, 2011, 06:50 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
When I first started cloth diapering, I lined dried and dried in the dryer once a month. After 4 months I didn't have any covers left that didn't have PUL problems and I was starting to lose my pail liners. I switched to always drying in the dryer on Medium-High and haven't had a single problem since. All of our elastic is great, but the velcro does suffer. That's fine though bc I only buy velcro for Daddy so it doesn't get washed that much anyway.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
January 30th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Ok well see our problem is we have no dryer, otherwise I would be drying them every wash. Luckily I don't have to worry about velcro because once I get a little better with my snap pliers I am going to be converting them all anyway (as some of the velcro is really going already, but we have been full time CDing on 2 kids for almost 7 months and full time on the baby for almost 11 months). I think maybe every few washes I will have DH take them to the dryer. I have to wash either tonight or tomorrow, maybe I will wait until tomorrow morning and have DH take them to dry after he gets home from work. Thanks again everyone

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search