If you had $800 for diaper....

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What would you get? I plan to buy my whole stash mid February, and I'll have $800 to use. I'll need this to cover at least the diapers I'll need for one year, preferably for his whole diapering phase though...

Any suggestions? I have 47 small gdiaper inserts I made, but they are essentially useless, so I am open to anything... Any ideas on where to get used?

January 30th, 2011, 03:53 PM
meghan.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm hoping to spend around $400 for this baby, but I do already have quite a few diapers for him when he gets bigger (that my daughter is using right now).

I'm hoping to spend around $100 for his newborn stash, maybe $150. The rest I will spend on Fuzzibunz Perfect Size in small and medium. I absolutely love those diapers, so much more than the one size.

That will last me for the first year for sure. I've got a few gender neutral colours in large, so I'd only have to get a few more to complete the large size to finish him off before he potty trains.

I originally wanted a whole bunch of variety to my stash, but I found I was reaching for the same diaper over and over again. Unfortunately it's a trial and error type thing.

Good luck!
January 30th, 2011, 04:04 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For a one size I would recommend getting BumGenius Elementals. TKCs are my personal favorite though but they are sized.

January 30th, 2011, 04:24 PM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you are wanting just one type of diaper, I would personally go with Thirsties Duos in a combination of size 1 and size 2's. Between the two sizes you should go from birth to potty . If you want to mix it up with some other one sizes, I would do the Thirsties Duo, Fuzzi Bunz One Size, Bum Genius, and maybe throw in a few sized as well

January 30th, 2011, 05:03 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Fuzzi Bunz Perfect Size. If I knew what I know now, I would have started with my first and put her in sized FB. One of my friends just CD'd her FOURTH(!) kid in the same set of FB's, and now she's going to sell them because they are still usable.
January 30th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
If I had $800 to spend on a diaper stash to do 0-12mo, I would DEFINITELY be going with FuzziBunz Perfect Size. I absolutely love these diapers on Emersyn, they fit her really well, and seemed to be quite trim - compared to the other ones I have.

I just looked at the Cotton Babies site, they have a 12 pack of the Perfect Size for $203.40... so I would personally get 24 of the small & 24 of the medium... it would take you a smidge over $800 (urm about $813)... they also have 6 packs for $104.70, so you could even go for 18 of the mediums - all depending on how often you want to be doing washing (and that'd give you a little extra to spend on some prefolds or something).

January 30th, 2011, 05:31 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Go to Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com to find almost all of the used diapers you could possibly want. You should be able to create a wonderful newborn and one-size up to potty training stash for eight hundred dollars.

As for recommendations on which diapers to get, I would recommend getting a variety. You have no idea what will work for you and your baby until you get and try them. Diapers I love for my little guy who topped out in weight around nine months and slimmed out from there and is now tall and skinny in both waist and thighs: Rumparooz one-size, BumGenius 3.0 pockets (converted to snaps and replaced elastics), Goodmamas and Piddle Poddles one-size fitteds with two doublers and PUL covers for overnight wear, Thirsties all-in-ones (converted to snaps), Fuzzibunz sized (old or new style) and Baby Kicks Hemparoo inserts wrapped in cheap prefolds (purchased at Target auto department) for stuffing pockets and the Thirsties.

Last edited by cheezpoofs; January 30th, 2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Added Recommendations
January 30th, 2011, 06:01 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
check out Fluff Swappers on facebook!!!! Oh my gosh, there is literally every type of diaper for sale there at amazing prices! I too love fuzzibunz perfect size. I'd get some xs and smalls for a newborn/infant.
January 30th, 2011, 08:44 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
I would start with a trial pack from somewhere like Jillian's Drawers to see what works for you. (Jillian's Drawers - Cloth Diaper Trial, Try Cloth Diapers for $10, Changing Diapers, Changing Minds Program) Fuzzi Bunz did not work for me at all.

If I had $800 to spend I would probably get 24 BG 4.0s, a bunch of hemp inserts, all the extras like wet bags and wipes and then I would have fun with the rest!

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
January 30th, 2011, 10:17 PM
SuJo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would get BG Elementals. They are all in one piece so laundry is fast and easy, and they absorb A LOT. They are cotton so you won't deal with all of the MF stink, allergy, build up issues. And they will work from 10 lbs and up. A dozen is enough to use when out and about, and most of the time at home, 18 would be great.

To cover from birth to when the elementals fit and at home part time, I would get small prefolds and some covers. Look for a seconds sale to save some money here.

I'd recommend a few pockets for overnight once you aren't having to change him often; maybe 3 and either hemp or flip organic inserts to stuff them with.

Have fun shopping!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search