Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!

Last edited by Pinkee~; February 2nd, 2011 at 10:15 AM.
February 1st, 2011, 11:23 AM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think you may need more water. Those HE washers use a lot less water. I've read on here that you can add a soaking wet towel to the wash, or add some water directly to the washer, or on some models there is a way to adjust the settings to use more water. Diapers really need to be rinsed super well with lots of water.

February 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM
If its alot of diapers and they get wet during the rinse cycle do they force more water in while they are being cleaned or do I not understand the process? When exactly would you add the wet towel if I do that?

February 1st, 2011, 11:57 AM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a top loader so I am not much help with that, but I don't think one extra rinse is enough. Make sure you are washing on the highest possible water setting and do at least 2 extra rinses. Also, 8am-noon is a long time to be in a cloth diaper.. I think 2-3 hours is the longest you should go between changes unless it is an overnight diaper.

February 1st, 2011, 12:11 PM

Last edited by Pinkee~; February 2nd, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
February 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you can find your wash routine that works for your front loader without the extra rinses.

You said you didn't have problems with your top loader but that was probably because your top loader used more water. I think it's just one of the prices we pay with cloth diapering is using the extra water. But then maybe there is someone here with a front loader who doesn't do extra rinses that can help with a better routine. Hope someone can help!

I have never cloth diapered a toddler so I am unexperienced in that. I just assumed toddlers of course don't wet as often but that the volume of pee would be quite a bit more than a baby..

February 1st, 2011, 12:39 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only thing that worked for us was to switch to Planet. I tried other detergents and LOTS of stripping methods, but since finding the right detergent I haven't had a single issue.

With a HE FL, you are going to need more water. I know you don't want to waste water, but . . . it isn't really a waste if it gets your diapers clean. Then you won't be using so much water trying to strip them. I haven't tried the wet towel thing . . . i know I'd forget the dang towel so I do 3 heavy duty wash cycles to get my diapers clean. And I can tell if I forgot one of them.

Heavy Duty cold, no detergent, extra rinse
Heavy Duty hot, with detergent, extra rinse
Heavy Duty cold, no detergent, extra rinse.

and my water bill hasn't gone up that I can tell
February 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you tried RLR? I have to use RLR once a month or I get the stinkies, and that's using RnG. . .I had to switch to RnG because Tide kept building up (powder) and giving Jake a rash.
February 1st, 2011, 01:00 PM

Last edited by Pinkee~; February 2nd, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
February 1st, 2011, 03:05 PM
MommyTatt's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use the heavy duty setting, with a prewash and extra rinse, once that is thru I put it thru one final rinse with eCover. And every third was I put it thru the sanitary cycle with a prewash and exta rinse followed by another rinse. On some occasions I will just wash the inserts themselves in really hot water 2 or 3 times.

I have learned alot over the years but the best thing I have learned is I love... sloppy baby kisses, messy handed hugs, tooth paste pictures drawn for me on the mirror,that a dandylion bouquet is prettier then roses anyday and most of all I have learned there is no love like that of a child!!

February 1st, 2011, 04:34 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I got rid of ammonia stinks with an overnight soak with a cup of baking soda. No clue how to do that with a front loader.

February 1st, 2011, 05:03 PM
MOI's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have your tried regular Tide HE but in the the powder formula. I thought I read that the liquid ones don't rinse as well as the powder.

I've been using it with no problems since I switched from RnG to Tide 6 months ago. I "trick" my front loader into thinking the load is heavier by setting no spin on my intial rinse. I also sometimes do this 1st intial rinse as a delicate cycle as that seems to use more water than a regular rinse setting. Other than that routine is regular hot wash on HD cycle and an extra rinse at the end

February 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM
meghan.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What kind of washer do you have?

I lucked out with switching from my top loader to my front loader, but I rinse a lot to make up for using that much less water when compared to the top loader.

I do two rinses then a heavy duty cycle with an extra rinse. My washer has the option for an extra rinse so I thankfully don't have to go back downstairs just for that. I've never had a problem with buildup or stinkies. I use regular Tide powder.
February 1st, 2011, 06:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had issues with my FL and RnG. I do the same as Bev with the Rinse cycle with the spin turned off. I also noticed the other day that I could add an extra rinse to my rinse cycle with no spin and now do that once in a while when I had stinkie teething pee diapers. After that I do the same cycles as you do.
Is it possible that you're not decreasing the soap quantity enough to compensate for the fact that it's a FL?
Also...I've read good things about the new Funk Rock stuff.

Thank you luv2bemommy for the blinkie
February 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM
SuJo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkee~ View Post
If its alot of diapers and they get wet during the rinse cycle do they force more water in while they are being cleaned or do I not understand the process? When exactly would you add the wet towel if I do that?
Are you spinning them dry after the rinse?

I would suggest adding some bac out to the tide every other wash to keep it under control. It's HE friendly so you can add it with the detergent right there.
February 1st, 2011, 08:21 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
I'm not in any way trying to stir up trouble but I'm honestly not understanding the concept of letting your daughter stay in the diaper once she has peed in it? I've cloth diapered three children and am currently diapering a toddler and as soon as she wets or dirties her diaper, it gets changed. Violet tells me now when she needs to be changed but before she could do that I would check her every hour-ish (overnight and nap time being the exception, of course).

I would just be concerned that if you are dealing with a buildup issue (be it detergent, ammonia, or both) and you are leaving wet diapers on her for hours at a time you may be setting yourself up for serious rash issues as well.

February 1st, 2011, 09:56 PM
I will check into it to see if the spin can be turned off during the rinse. Thanks ladies!

February 1st, 2011, 10:12 PM
SuJo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkee~ View Post
I will check into it to see if the spin can be turned off during the rinse. Thanks ladies!
No-you want it ON during that first rinse. You need to get all of the urine out so that it doesn't just re-distribute during the hot wash. Let it spin out, then add wet towels for weight before you start the hot wash.
February 1st, 2011, 11:41 PM
mom2mande's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I went from top loader to FL the only thing that I could get to work with the diapers was regular old blue dawn dishsoap. Only about a tsp or so for my water.

I am a little surprised by your comment though that after 4 hours you ONLY changed your child because you couldn't stand the smell....... seems like a long time
February 2nd, 2011, 02:47 AM
MommyTatt's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes View Post
I'm not in any way trying to stir up trouble but I'm honestly not understanding the concept of letting your daughter stay in the diaper once she has peed in it? I've cloth diapered three children and am currently diapering a toddler and as soon as she wets or dirties her diaper, it gets changed. Violet tells me now when she needs to be changed but before she could do that I would check her every hour-ish (overnight and nap time being the exception, of course).

I would just be concerned that if you are dealing with a buildup issue (be it detergent, ammonia, or both) and you are leaving wet diapers on her for hours at a time you may be setting yourself up for serious rash issues as well.
I have to agree here I must admit, even with all my older kids that were in sposies I change as soon as I notice they were wet. I wouldn't want to sit in it why should they and Fox was a both baby and honestly I changed him the same amount with both maybe more in sposies since they caused rashes.
so one of the causes may be the fact that as they get older their urine is more concentrated as far as amonia goes because their bladders hold it longer and there for you need to change them more so the micro fiber doesnt hold on to the amonia smell.

I have learned alot over the years but the best thing I have learned is I love... sloppy baby kisses, messy handed hugs, tooth paste pictures drawn for me on the mirror,that a dandylion bouquet is prettier then roses anyday and most of all I have learned there is no love like that of a child!!

Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search