Are Cloth Wipes hard to use?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Super Mommy
How hard or easy are using cloth wipes for you?
I have to swish the kiddos poopy diapers, do I have to swish the wipes too? I'm scared I'm gonna flush one, lol.
Oh, and I can't get a sprayer. My husband already tried to install TWO different ones, and they were BOTH faulty. So he's done.

Also (oof topic, sorry), do any of you CD when out and about? Camping? Vacationing? Shopping?

Thank you!!!

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one anotherís differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning oneís standards or oneís opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
February 4th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Luv2Laugh's Avatar Frugalicious mama!
Not at all, it's so much easier than using disp. wipes with cloth diapers. You don't have to rinse them or anything. Just store them in your pail till wash day and toss them in. The nice thing is you can just use one or two vs 5 or 6 disp. wipes for poopy diapers.
As for out and about, I do use cloth, but not on vaca or camping.

February 4th, 2011, 12:02 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ditto the above! I think cloth wipe make things easier. I use cloth when i'm out, but we havn't vacationed yet.

February 4th, 2011, 12:26 PM
qberry's Avatar Quinn - Mommy to 3
I thought it would be super hard but it's not at all. I was tired of digging disposable wipes out of diapers.. gross. I don't swish mine but we're EBF. My spray is just coconut oil, water, and a little bit of organic baby wash. I use homemade flannel wipes and some cheapo baby washcloths and I store them all in a sposi wipe container.

Oh, and we use cloth everywhere. The only time we haven't is when DD1 was in the hospital for surgery and it was just easier to do disposables because the hospital was a 30 minute drive from our house!
February 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use cloth wipes, I just rinse them in the sink a little if they need it, then pop them in the bucket with everything else. And I'm all cloth, all the time. Haven't been camping, but I used them all summer at our cottage, which is almost camping!

February 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh heck yeah they're easier! You just throw them in w/ yuor diapers! Plus you do use way less wipes w/ cloth. I made all my wipes for like $1.00. I cut up 3 flannel receiving blankets and sewed around the edges
February 4th, 2011, 05:20 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought they were going to be hard and was really intimidated for some reason. I absolutely love them and wish we'd switched sooner. They do a much better job than a disposable wipe IMO.

February 4th, 2011, 05:52 PM
meghan.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm the really odd one out here, but I absolutely hated them. I had much more control over the mess with disposables. I would always throw the disposable ones out right after a diaper change, right next to the diaper pail so it really wasn't a big deal.

I really did give it a good go, but I just couldn't get use to them. They were really inconvenient for us.
February 4th, 2011, 06:35 PM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use the sink to rinse them off, its no big deal. But I must confess...I keep a package of sposie wipes for a huge messy poo, I use the sposie for that first wipe that has like a huge amount of poo on it - then I use cloth for the rest. Its very true that one cloth wipe goes a looong way! I can usually use just one.
And I cloth everywhere - I just bring a large wetbag for camping.

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
February 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
I made my own wipes with receiving blankets from the thrift store so they are all mismatched but soft! I love them! I have a great lock-in-lock tupperware type container with a half lid that has worked GREAT! I started with keeping them wet in an old wipes container but the lid was a PITA. I only use water. I wet a huge stack of them and put them in the container. I go through many in a day, so they won't ever sit there long enough to mold or anything. Plain water works just great!

I am currently working on a ton of cloth wipes and burp rags for my friend who is having a little girl in April.

Here's my mix-matched wipes in the old wipes container...

Here's the CUTE stash I'm working on for my bestie in the lock-in-lock container (I now have my mix-matched stash in the same container). I haven't finished these yet. I will sew the hole shut and zig a diagonal line across so they don't bunch up in the wash. I wish this pink stash was mine!! So cute! The raw dimensions were 8 X 10, since I used about a 1/2 inch seam allowance on all sides (finished dimensions 7 x 9). I fold the wipes in half, hold the whole stack under water, then put them in the container. I can fit many wipes in. Also, I really like the large wipes, which you can use even for huge messes by unfolding and using the other sides. Also for DH, his whole hand fits on the wipe which he appreciates.

[url=http://lilypie.com]
February 4th, 2011, 08:57 PM
MommytoMandL's Avatar Super Mommy
i use cloth wipes all the time, i just throw them in the pail with the dipes, i do use flushable liners though, muccch easier clean up since we aren't in our own place at the moment (with my mom, extenuating circumstances didn't wanna try to be like "oh hey, heres me and my husband and our 3 kids, our cloth diapers that i'm gonna wash in your machine and heres my sprayer too that i'm gonna hook to your toilet" haha) but we cloth 24/7 anywhere and everywhere

February 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM
MOI's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cloth wipes are really easy. You get most of poop off with the diaper. I am 100% cloth and don't rinse my wipes. I have been camping lots with my cloth last summer with no issues but no vacation yet and I really need a winter one!

February 4th, 2011, 09:51 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I love cloth wipes Lots easier than disposable. I don't wet the wipe. I keep a little travel size spray bottle of wipe solution and spray DS He thinks it's funny. And I don't rinse them, just the diaper.

And I CD everywhere. I haven't had any issues yet.

February 5th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Super Mommy
Cool. This is really encouraging. Thanks for all the responses!

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one anotherís differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning oneís standards or oneís opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
February 5th, 2011, 01:19 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is my personal opinion also that if you are cloth diapering, cloth wipes are really much easier it's one less step and a lot less hassle. I love quilters nappies for all my wash cloths.

February 5th, 2011, 01:24 PM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
I have never even thought about using cloth wipes ... I just use wetwipes .. I just throw them out as I go so its no deal to me
February 6th, 2011, 02:28 PM
cp83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use cloth wipes and love them, we don't swish them or anything (we don't swish our diapers or spray them, DS poo is very solid at 18 months of age). I just clean him up and throw them in the pail with diapers, it is so much cleaner than having to pick out the sposie wipes when I forgot them in there.

We travel with cloth all the time! I was really nervous at first but it has been great. During our week long summer trip I use our flips primarily with both the stay dry and disposable inserts in them, and pocket diapers triple stuffed at night time. We are going for a long weekend on June to a wedding out of state and I will pack fluff for this too. If you are nervous you can always bring some sposies as back up (we did with our first fluffy travels, and we didn't even use them!)

February 6th, 2011, 03:13 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No, I think they are easier than regular wipes. Whenever I have used disposable wipes I'm left wondering what to do with the dirty wipes. When I use cloth wipes, I have a box of tissues near my changing station, and I grab as much poop with the tissue, and then wipe the rest with the cloth, so there is never all that much poop stuck to my cloth wipes. Works great, and is super easy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search