Stripping

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Diapers that is How do you do it? Our diapers are holding odor. I've been using baking soda in her diaper pail for months and I use vinegar in the rinse cycle. I hang them out of the line so they can get some sun, but nothing seems to be helping. I figured I would try stripping them to see if it would help.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
October 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM
nahjah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd like to know too! We did the baking soda and vinegar, then I tried Borax but it only worked for about a week and now they smell again. I only go 2 days, rarely 3 days in between washing.
October 10th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I put mine in the dishwasher once. I ran each batch through twice. I did make sure that the rinse agent had ran out first though. It seemed to work pretty well, but man did it stink the first time through when I opened the dishwasher. I also ran an empty load through before I dared washing dishes in it again.

October 10th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I thought I had heard Dawn works, I wondered if you can put that right in the washing machine? I had never heard of running them through the dishwasher though. It works? Do you put them on the top rack?

October 11th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Epi_rush's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I strip mine with 2 tablespoons of regular (not ultra) Dawn in the washing machine with it set to the highest water level, rinse twice and then wash normal.

October 11th, 2007, 04:19 PM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I strip, I wash my regular routine (1/2 cap of Tide and a squirt of Dawn), do an extra cycle with no soap and do a final cycle with vinegar. I did that when DH used the fabric softner and so far everything is ok.

October 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, you can put Dawn right in the washing machine. If you are going to do it this way, either add lots of boiling water to the washer tub (only works if you have a top loader) or turn your water heater up real high (just make sure you remember to turn it back down afterwards). Really hot water will pull detergent out more.

Do NOT put Dawn in the dishwasher if you are going to strip using the dishwasher. The dishwasher stripping method is just running the dishwasher with the dipes on the top rack and no detergent at all. So, they should be clean before putting them in the dishwasher. Make sure your rinse aid is empty before doing this. This works because the water is hotter than it is in the washing machine.

It is also possible that there is just a bacteria build-up. If that is the case and it's not a detergent thing, you need to wash as normal, but fill the washer with hot water and add 1-2 capfuls of bleach, let it agitate and THEN add your diapers in. This small amount of bleach is not going to hurt your diapers, but it'll kill any bacteria that's causing the smell.

There's also a product by BioKleen that is called Bac Out. It's amazing stuff and you can use it instead of bleach. You would have to get it at a health food store. I found mine at Smith's Marketplace in the health food section which surprised me as the Smith's that was down where I used to live didn't carry it (Kroger owns Smith's so if you don't have a Smith's near you, a Kroger store might have it).

picture does not represent current ages

October 11th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im new to this, so I dont have any advice about stripping. I just wanted to give a heads up about the dishawasher thing. I would be careful if you did that, as it is a fire hazard. I have had a wooden spoon catch on fire (fell down onto the heating coil)

October 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I decided to try stripping them today. I washed them normally, then ran 2 extra cycles with hot water. They are smelling great now! I just have to do the other 1/2 of the diapers now probably on Saturday once I use them all. If I still notice a smell, I'll try the Dawn. I did notice that somehow my DeoDisk is missing, it must have fallen out of the diaper pail when I was emptying it If they dont' dissolve, I have no idea where it ended up.

October 11th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I decided to try stripping them today. I washed them normally, then ran 2 extra cycles with hot water. They are smelling great now! I just have to do the other 1/2 of the diapers now probably on Saturday once I use them all. If I still notice a smell, I'll try the Dawn. I did notice that somehow my DeoDisk is missing, it must have fallen out of the diaper pail when I was emptying it If they dont' dissolve, I have no idea where it ended up.[/b]
Glad that worked for you!

What worked for me was using Dawn with 2 scoops of OxiClean. Then I ran it through a couple more hot washes with nothing added. I haven't had to do it since and it's been 2mo. My normal cleaning is just to use purex f&c, but every once in a while I use dawn with one scoop of oxi. Seems to prevent buildup.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search