is it time to strip the diapers?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been using some Fuzzi Bunz for about two months, and we're starting to have some trouble with leaks overnight/early morning. What's the more likely scenario: not using enough stuff in the pocket overnight, or residue buildup? We're only having trouble with the overnight diaper, not anytime else.

The other weird thing about the leaks is that they are often happening only when Sally is in her bouncy chair in the morning (while DH takes a shower and Mommy gets some much needed sleep). We did have one in the bed this morning (eww), but most of the time it is in the bouncy seat. I'm trying to figure out if the angle of the chair has something to do with it, because she will leak/wick even a fresh diaper in there, always around the legs. Thankfully she's getting pretty good at sitting on her own and we won't need the chair that much longer.

Any advice is always appreciated...

Need Breastfeeding Support?

October 17th, 2007, 10:44 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
I've been using some Fuzzi Bunz for about two months, and we're starting to have some trouble with leaks overnight/early morning. What's the more likely scenario: not using enough stuff in the pocket overnight, or residue buildup? We're only having trouble with the overnight diaper, not anytime else.

The other weird thing about the leaks is that they are often happening only when Sally is in her bouncy chair in the morning (while DH takes a shower and Mommy gets some much needed sleep). We did have one in the bed this morning (eww), but most of the time it is in the bouncy seat. I'm trying to figure out if the angle of the chair has something to do with it, because she will leak/wick even a fresh diaper in there, always around the legs. Thankfully she's getting pretty good at sitting on her own and we won't need the chair that much longer.

Any advice is always appreciated...[/b]
I can think of a couple of possibilities.

First you need to determine if the leaking is due to her is soaking through the diaper, or from repelling. What is the insert like when you change her, is it saturated with pee, or barely wet? If it is wet, the problem could be she needs more absorbancy, or it could be fit. If it isn't really wet, then the pee isn't getting to it, in which case you probably have some repelling going on, and yes, it's time to strip them.

You say it's mostly in the morning, could it be that she does a big wet at that time? I know my Sydney wets a lot more in the morning, even more than through the night, that is the only time of day we need a doubler. Maybe since Sally is sitting, the pressure of her bottom is squishing out the excess pee - this could be the case especially if you notice that the insert is soaked in the middle part but not right to the edges, that would indicate the pee is getting through to the insert, but then being squished back out, like a sponge. Adding a hemp doubler might help with that. I'd put it under the microfibre, the microfibre will soak up the pee fast, but the hemp will lock it in. If the insert is completely soaked then absolutely it's that she needs a doubler at that time of day.

Another thing could be fit. If there are gaps in her leg openings, pee could run out before it is absorbed. You might not find that happening at night if Sally is a back sleeper, but if she is a side sleeper it would likely also happen then, so that might help you decide if that is the case.

If the insert isn't getting soaked, you might have repelling. You can try this test. Fill a turkey baster with warm water, and lay the diaper (with insert in) on a flat surface. Push the tip of the baster firmly into the diaper and squeeze. If the water is absorbed fairly quickly that's good. If it beads up or rolls off then you definitely have repelling. If it pools a little around the tip of the turkey baster for a second but does get absorbed it's still probably okay, it will absorb faster when there is pressure of her bum on it. If you notice pooling, push down on the fabric with a finger - if it gets absorbed, good, if it doesn't, probably repelling. Time to strip.

There are different methods of stripping. I use Original Dawn dish soap and lots of hot washes. I'm sure the other mamas can offer their methods if you want them.

HTH!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

October 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
THANKS! I'm thinking it's probably a combination of absorbency and fit. She's been really chunky in the thighs for awhile now, but it seems to changing. She is also a side sleeper, so that could definitely be part of our problem.

We've been using mostly pfs/covers during the day, and we've been fine with those.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search