If you could start all over again

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks dvrgrl38 for the RRP suggestion, I love that pattern and the fit on my guy! I love prefolds and covers, but I don't love how prefolds don't contain BF poop, stuffing a infant prefold in a RRP works perfect!

It got me thinking, that my stash would be slightly different if I could start over again, knowing what I know now.

Things that would be different:
* I wouldn't have bothered buying fleece from Wal-Mart for a liner--that stuff never let the moisture through!
* I would have gotten better automotive towels to use as doublers.
* Rather than using the suedecloth I bought to use to make sleeves for the doublers and lay in liners, I would have used it for the inside of some RRP.
* Rather than buying MEOS, I would have just made a bunch of RRP to put infant prefolds in (and possible bought more infant prefolds as well)
* My small stash would probably have included at least one wool wrap, as the recycled sweater soaker just wasn't thick enough to really use much
* I might have skipped the Starbunz puppy cover. It is adorably cute, but he always has to wear clothes over it, because it's so chilly in our house. It also disappointed me because I thought it would have a tail and it didn't. Part of why I bought it was so that he could crawl around with a tail on his butt, and then it didn't have one! The funny thing is, even though I don't reach for it much, I don't want to sell it!

So what would you do differently if you where starting at the beginning?
November 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
i wouldn't have stressed over washing methods...eventhoguh i still am

jeez, other than that i don't hink there is anything i could change. if i hadn't bought the crappy things, then i would have ended up buying them in the future cause i wouldn't have known better. i learned a lot about different brands and i can't take any of it back. i have been very very wise in our buying decisions, so there;s lots i WOULD have bought and probably regretted but i have controlled myself! lol
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
November 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I am currently switching back to prefolds, but I'm glad I tried the other diapers (the more expensive ones) because otherwise I'd still want to try them. So I have nothing I'd do differently.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
what are RRP's?

My Ovulation Chart
November 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
what are RRP's?[/b]
Rita Rump Pockets, they're a pattern I've just tried that I'm in love with! It's really easy to make and you can stuff it with a prefold. You then get the pros of a prefold (cheap, easy cleaning) and the benefits of a fitted diaper (contains messy poop, can go coverless).
November 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would not have bothered with trying fitteds/prefolds and covers.. I didn't think that I would like them, but I tried them anyways.. and hated it. I'll stick wtih my pockets and AIOs
November 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Wow, those RRP's look awesome! Would they work to lay in a cover, or with a Snappi? Or do you need the single pin?

My Ovulation Chart
November 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Wow, those RRP's look awesome! Would they work to lay in a cover, or with a Snappi? Or do you need the single pin?[/b]
I made mine with cheap flannel (only fuzzy on one side, which I used as the outside) and use a snappi just fine on it. Because of the long wings, I'm sure you could do it without a snappi as long as the cover fits well.
November 14th, 2007, 09:24 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I don't think anything.... like Beth, I'm glad I tried what I did, because now I know what I like and what works what I don't and what doesn't

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

November 14th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only thing I would change: I would have started when they were newborns!

November 14th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Tofu Bacon
I would have just stuck with prefolds from the beginnning, instead of trying so many different types of diapers. Ds is such a heavy-wetter that anything but prefolds are useless on him.
November 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I would have just stuck with prefolds from the beginnning, instead of trying so many different types of diapers. Ds is such a heavy-wetter that anything but prefolds are useless on him.[/b]
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that prefolds are more absorbent than fitteds or MF inserts!
November 14th, 2007, 09:48 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
Quote:
I would have just stuck with prefolds from the beginnning, instead of trying so many different types of diapers. Ds is such a heavy-wetter that anything but prefolds are useless on him.[/b]
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that prefolds are more absorbent than fitteds or MF inserts!
[/b]
Count me in! My prefolds are the most absorbent diaper I've ever used on her - I even did a comparison measuring how much water various dipes I had would hold - my premium CPF absorbed more than my Kissaluvs fitted, Hemparoo hemp fleece PF, large Fuzzi Bunz microfibre insert, and Cottonbabies OS microfibre insert

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

November 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I would have been more open to pocket diapers
I would have tried Cubbies from the beginning.
I wouldn't have bought the crappy WAHM covers that I got from eBay (they were horrible)
I would never have bought Happy Heiny's, Drybees, Kushies, or Bumkins.
I would have figured out a nice diaper pattern from the beginning and made a lot of my own diapers.

...hmm, right now that's all I can think of, lol... though I'm sure there are a few more things I would have done differently.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search