Diaper cover for prefolds. Favorites?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Veteran
OK, I'm reading different things. Some say the Thirsties and prowraps are better for containing bf, runny messes. Others love the Bummies. Any tips here?

I'll probably only be using the prefolds for the first couple months and then go to mainly Bumgenius diapers. I like that the XS Thirties cover goes from 6-12 lbs rather than having to buy NB abd Smalls to cover the same sizes in Bummies.....

But anyway, I'd love to hear opinions from you guys that have used them. I'm planning to use sposies until the meconium is gone, so I'm really looking at prefolds for that time from when the meconium is gone until the baby starts messing fewer times a day and fits intot he Bumgenius one-sizes a little better.

Thanks for whatever help you can give!
Beth

November 28th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have not cloth diapered a newborn, but I have used all three covers. My daughter is still ebf, so she still has runny poops. I think proraps and thirsties would work best for a newborn. They have the leg gussets and come in small sizes. The bummis are pretty good. They are growing on me, but I still prefer the wipe clean insides of thirsties. Proraps are great for the price, but I dont like that they dont have crossover tabs, and they are kinda bulky. Thirsties are my fave, best of both worlds for me.

November 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
I've only had experience with the Bummis Super Whisper Wraps. They are great! The only wear after 2 years of use is the tabs for washing are coming loose. The white isn't as white, but that's OK with me. They do have the crossover tabs and first both my 2 1/2 year old and my 6 month old.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

November 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Beth, you might want to consider flushable liners. They would help a ton with the meconium and they're cheap. I'm going to use them the whole time I CD, so we'll see what happens.

November 28th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Veteran
I've been using BumGenius's and FB's with my 2 YO for a month or so now and had no problems getting them clean. I really don't want to use liners all the time. It's not a big deal to use sposies for those first few days.

I really just want to get the best covers for containing the bf, runny poo. I know with sposies I always had problems with it going right up their back. Yuck. I can't afford to buy some and hate them and have to buy different ones, so hopefully I'll get good ones to start with!

November 28th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
A lot of it has to do with personal preference. I've tried BSWW's, Swaddlebees ABC's, and Thirsties covers. *LOVE* the Bummis and the ABC wraps. But I didn't care for the Thirsties. A lot of people love Thirsties though.

During the newborn stage, pretty much the only cover I used was BSWW, and they did a great job in keeping in the BF poo.

You can try getting one or two of each, seeing which one you like the best, get more of that kind and sell off the ones you didn't like. That would work. But I'll say that I very very very rarely hear anyone say that they don't like BSWW's. And the Swaddlebees ABC covers are almost identical to the Bummis.
November 28th, 2007, 12:45 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I find the Swaddlebees ABC fit just a wee bit more snug than the Bummis of the same size - if I were going to cloth a newborn I would do PFs and ABCs for day, and Kissaluvs and ABCs for night.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

November 28th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Grateful~Gentle~Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The owner of Abby's Lane has a newborn and she is using thirsties and loves them. Mandy from Jillian's Drawers also HIGHLY recommended them more than any of the other covers.

So I bought 6 thirsties XS and plan to use them with prefolds and some WAHM fitteds I have. And just like you- I plan on using BG one size diapers after that. I have 10 of them now and I actually think I COULD be done buying diapers, but I'm sure I wont be since I'm addicted.

I also just fiished crocheting my first wool soaker too, so I will be trying to use wool sometimes as well, as I guess its very breathable?

</div>
November 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, my absolute favorite covers for pfs are wool, but unless you're super good with getting a tight fit I wouldn't use wool/pfs on a newborn with all that poo. Our only other covers are BSWW, and I don't think we've ever had a leak, although we started with mediums so I have no idea how big they are on a newborn (honestly, the mediums are still pretty big on a 20lb almost 8 month old).

Personally, I would buy one or two of each, and then see how it goes when the baby gets here. I understand the feeling of buying a bunch of something and then not really liking them.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

November 30th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Veteran
I used newborn and small Proraps, small BSWW, and now have a medium BSWW, several medium proraps, a medium kushie diaper cover, and a medium thirstie.

In newborn and small I loved the proraps. I never thought the BSWW fit as well. I am still not a fan of BSWW, they just don't get a good fit on the leg for my baby.

I love the Thristie best. The kushie is my second favorite - the cut is very similar to thristie, but no laundry tab and a more plasticy material. I don't like the medium proraps as much as i liked them in the smaller sizes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search