Questions about wool

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2007, 08:11 PM
ashtree06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know this may seem like dumb questions but I dont know anything about wool. But I have seen some of the little pants (longies) that I fell in love with. You use these as diaper covers, right? I really want to get Lorelei a pair or two for Christmas. Where do you get the pants? How do you care for them? I read that they have lanolizing stuff, but I really dont understand the whole process. I didnt think you could get wool wet, so I would assume that they would get stinky if you couldnt wash them with soap and water. Anything you could tell me about them would be great and if you could point me in a direction as of wear to find them I would appreciate that!

December 1st, 2007, 10:21 AM
dvrgrl38's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is a GREAT article, nak so i'll be back to post more...
http://reviews.ebay.com/Wool-Cloth-Diaper-...000000000884763
December 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OH! I LOOOOOOVE wool! You can find lots of wool pants/longies on hyenacart.

http://hyenacart.com/poweredby_cat.php?hct=2

Essentially anything that says "wool" or "knit" in the name will sell them. You can buy ready-made sets or have them custom made for your little.

Wool can most definitely be washed. However, most wool used for diaper covers/pants must be hand-washed. Most people use wool wash bars/liquid which has lanolin in it. This allows you to not have to re-lanolize as often. You can buy lanolin in either a solid bar or as a liquid as well. Wool naturally has lanolin in it, which gives it it's waterproofness (lol a that word!). However, since we wash it it needs to be relanolized from time-to-time. It's easy to do. Just run some hot water in the sink at lanolin so that it's mixed in and some wool wash and then let it soak for 30 minutes to overnight. Then rinse the wool, roll it in a towel to get some water out, lie it out flat in the position that you want it to dry in and let it dry. Of course, if you want better step-by-step instructions just about any site that sells wool or wool items will have the information.

HTH.

December 1st, 2007, 01:20 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
wool is actually so easy to maintain!

you can get wool wet but you have to be careful of anything too hot or too cold. so when washing or lanolizing, you do it by hand with luke warm water.

here's the site where i learned to wash/lanolize.

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/lanolize.htm

and you can find wool (longies, shorties or soakers) by searching hyenacart.com or looking in the wool section on diaperswappers
hyenacart.com
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...splay.php?f=24
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I &hearts; triathlon, running & hot yoga!
December 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM
Grateful~Gentle~Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been learning to crochet and knitting is next. I already made my first soaker with no pattern, and I am going to lanolize it tonight!

I like the fact that wool is a natural fiber, so along with my cotton prefold, Cadens bum will have more airflow to it. I think this helps with possible diaper rash. I'm excited to try it. I plan on using my wool covers at home only though. I will use PUL covers under actual clothing when we go out. Hes got some adorable clothes that I don't want ruined, lol. ;-)

I have been learning to crochet and knitting is next. I already made my first soaker with no pattern, and I am going to lanolize it tonight!

I like the fact that wool is a natural fiber, so along with my cotton prefold, Cadens bum will have more airflow to it. I think this helps with possible diaper rash. I'm excited to try it. I plan on using my wool covers at home only though. I will use PUL covers under actual clothing when we go out. Hes got some adorable clothes that I don't want ruined, lol. ;-)

</div>
December 7th, 2007, 11:01 AM
ashtree06's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies for all of you replies. I am really excited about getting some now. I have found a pair on Diaperswappers, but the lady will not respond to my pm's. So I guess I will try the hyenacart, or try finding another pair on DS from another seller.

December 8th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Grateful~Gentle~Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maybe ry eBay too! I think girly wool is much easier to make/find that boy wool. I plan on making so girly stuff to sell when I get better at it. For girls you can make bell bottoms and skirts with shorts underneath and ruffled leg holes on the soakers. MUCH easier than trying to come up with biy styles IMO!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search