Log In Sign Up

External Version????

Forum: 2013 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 2,153
Anyone have their provider ever discuss this yet? When I was at my nearly 27 week appointment I casually questioned position. The doc (another rant - they keep giving me the "inexperieinced" docs with philosphies totally different than I have) said she didn't know. I know that there is plenty of time to change position as well. She then mentioned that if there was not a change by the last month she would do an external version. HELLO. No. This is not her decision as the doc. It is my decision. It is my understanding that it has only a 58% success rate and carries risks with the procedure. I think she took a step away when I mentioned that this procedure required written consent and I was not ready to sign any consent.

Hopefully I will not need to worry about this anyway. However, any decision to place this child at risk requires the doc to sit down and have a full talk. No one is placing their hands on my child to forcefully turn her unless I agree. I was ticked that she was casual about this - and as if it was her decision. Anyone else even have this topic arise yet?

Reply With Quote
March 28th, 2013, 10:21 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,008
Not yet. We've talked about position, but mainly how there is still time. Nothing so far about the "what if". I cannot imagine a doctor assuming that they would just do something like that without actually discussing it with you first!
09/03 - 09/06 - 06/13
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um ... easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me." - Michael Scott
Reply With Quote
March 28th, 2013, 10:57 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,068
Actually ECV is fairly safe and the risks it includes are mainly early labor....uterine rupture if youve had a previous c section. And cord entanglement which they monitor the baby using Ultrasound before/during/ and after and if that happens you go in for a c section...which if the baby stays breech you need a c section anyway. They only do it from weeks 36 to 41. And 37 weeks is considered full term so if they do it at 36 weeks and it ends in a c section then its only a week before full term...not a big deal in other words. Theres risks with c section too...and those risks are higher than the risks of ECV. Ive been researching and talking to my aunt who is a labor and delivery nurse. And my cousin who is also a RN. As my lil man is tranverse breech and i know he hasnt moved yet.
But I agree the dr should not assume to do anything without your approval. Your body...your pregnancy..your child.
Oh and success rate is 65%. And that is just the rate of success with which they get baby to stay head down.

Last edited by MamaSkunk; March 28th, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
March 28th, 2013, 11:04 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,612
Not yet but it was discussed as an option with my son since he was transverse up until 36 weeks. I ditto everything Kerry said. It's a fairly safe procedure that should only be attempted closer to your due date BUT it is important to know that it's not a guarantee that baby will stay flipped around. I was warned many times that if we did the ECV, there was always the possibility of him turning sideways again. Luckily, he turned on his own.

Last edited by ashleykathleen; March 28th, 2013 at 11:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
March 28th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 830
I think many doctors will assume (in your case falsely) that someone would be more open to attempting an external version then consenting to a c-section. Since I would 100% agree to an external in order to try to avoid a c-section it wouldn't have bothered me if my doctor assumed I would be interested in it, but I imagine since your not on board with it that it rubbed you the wrong way. My guess is that she would have brought it up to you in more detail at a later date and was simply stating what they would do IF they had consent from the patient. But it seems like your problem was with her assumptions regarding your medical care and not necessarily the version itself
Mom to my wildchild Kalyna (Dec 2008)

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
Reply With Quote
March 28th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,037
At my last appointment I had to meet with a student midwife, and the few times I've dealt with her she's rubbed me the wrong way. She always sounds like she's reciting verbatim from the textbook and if I say anything during her recitation it throws her off and she "Um um um"s until she gets back on track. She's also kind of alarmist...like when we were talking about the Group B Strep swab - which I'm totally fine with - she kept driving home the point about how many people who have it pass it on to their babies, and the percentage of those babies who DIE. Very dramatic, as though she was telling me I HAVE to do it otherwise I'm killing my baby. Even though I said "Ok, I understand, Yes I plan to have the test" several times, she just kept emphasizing DEATH. Calm down, lady.

Anyways, at my last appointment she painfully poked and prodded me for several minutes trying to determine the position of the baby. She said the baby was still head up and that she knew I must be extremely concerned (I'm not) about that at this late date (there's plenty of time). She also informed me that they'd be doing an ECV if he hadn't turned in time. Even though I'm fine with it, I didn't like the way she just told me what she'd be doing with my body, my baby. Especially since she had already kind of bugged me with the Group B Strep thing. I told her that he was moving around a LOT, and that at my last two appointments he was head-down. And also that from what I could feel, I was pretty certain that he was head-down that day. I know I'm no expert, but I'm pretty in tune with my body and what's going on inside of it. Well, when she went to listen to the heartbeat, she couldn't find it. Turns out she was listening to his bum. He'd been head-down the whole time after all, exactly like I thought.

I've been promised that she won't be there for my delivery. Fingers crossed.

Edit - I have no problem with student midwives, I understand there's a learning process. I had 3 excellent student midwives present at the birth of my daughter, and I loved them. I just don't like this particular woman.

Reply With Quote
March 28th, 2013, 01:07 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 14,600
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I'm just surprised that your doctor can't feel the difference between a head and a bottom!
~Jennifer, wife of one, mother of many

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

Reply With Quote
March 28th, 2013, 01:16 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,134
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
I'm just surprised that your doctor can't feel the difference between a head and a bottom!
I thought this too, my doctor felt around for about 5-10 seconds and knew exactly where everything was and that he was head down!

I am sorry that your doctor felt that way. I can imagine that would be very frustrating I will just hope for you that baby girl turns head down so there is no need for either procedure, trying to externally turn or a c-section.
JaxonJocelyn Gabriel Grayson and Scarlett

Reply With Quote
March 28th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,037
My regular midwife knows with the first touch exactly where the baby is, thankfully. The student midwife was the one poking and prodding for several minutes and still getting it wrong. That's why I'm grateful she won't be at the delivery, lol.

Reply With Quote
March 28th, 2013, 06:54 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NY State
Posts: 1,750
Baby's position hasn't even been mentioned yet, but now that this discussion has come up I'll be sure to mentioned it this week. I feel lots of movement on my sides, so I assume baby is not head down yet.

Reply With Quote
March 29th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 2,153
Thanks ladies. I know that I am probably a difficult patient. I just want the doc to respect that the final decision is with me. I will listen to benefits and risks. However, I know that there are docs who do things as it is the "office" policy or what works in their calendar. I was already put off when I questioned her on some recent literature and guidelines on another matter for pg. She looked at me like I had two heads. (She does not give the whooping cough shot to pg ladies. I questioned why since this is recommended. I wanted to discuss if there was a risk to the recommendation. The reason I ultimately received is that they don't have the capacity at the practice (a huge practice) to keep the vaccine. Nothing to do with patient safety).

Yes. I am probably the only one who reads ACOG (American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology) guidelines and info. Something that is part of my work. On the other hand, I love the perinatologist. He treats me like an intelligent person. After the 20 week u/s, he showed me the calcium deposit on Ellianna's heart. He then explained why it is OK. He gave me all the information. He was open to any questions. He could have said "all is normal". That is the ultimate finding. However, after the tech did the scan he personally came into the room to show me the white spot. I feel reassured knowing that he tells me everything.

Last edited by Kim3; March 30th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
March 29th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 44
little Emma has been head down for almost 2 months now....although we all know that can change in a heartbeat.

ive never experienced this with this one or any of my other babies. so im sorry Im not much help to ya

but id be ticked off too hun....just keep ur foot down if you don't agree with something. trust ur gut instinct
Reply With Quote
March 29th, 2013, 05:08 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 26,352
I agree that the decision should be left to you in the end. It is still pretty early to be concerned yet. My sister had an external version with her second. She actually asked if she could do a c/s instead, but her doc said there were more risks with a c/s than a version. She had to wait until 37 weeks. She checked into the hospital, was hooked up to monitors, given muscle relaxers. She said it was painful but took about a minute. Her doctor told her they can typically tell in the first 30 seconds if the baby will turn. If not, they stop. They kept her on monitors for a few hours just in case. When everything looked okay, they sent her home. The baby stayed head down until 41+ weeks and they had to induce her.

Reply With Quote
March 29th, 2013, 08:48 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,029
Honestly....I didn't know what this was until reading your post. Seeing as I missed my 28 week appointment, none of this has been discussed with me. Bottom line is that she assumed and that's never good.

Reply With Quote
March 30th, 2013, 08:56 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 37,585
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I hate hate hate when providers assume and don't discuss with their patients about tests or talk down to you because you are the patient not the doctor oh it infuriates me! Hugs Hun!

Reply With Quote
March 31st, 2013, 01:06 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland, near DC
Posts: 1,473
I saw my midwife on Friday for my 28 week appt and it was the first time she had mentioned position. She didn't say anything about external version. Instead, she said that if the baby is it head down by 32 weeks, there are exercises you can do to help move the baby that way. One she described was almost a handstand type thing (only not bc obv that wouldn't be safe). I have notices that midwives know a lot of cool stuff like that for remedying problems and also for pain relief in labor that doctors never talk about. Maybe you could look up some things like that and try to get the baby to turn on it's own without your dr badgering you about external version if you don't want to do it.
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0